Feedburner - what do you think?

  • westius
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26 7:07 PM
      Hi all,

      I know quite a few of us use feedburner to manage our feeds. I've started to come to the opinion that the subscriber number is something akin to a random number. I used to quite like feedburner, but since they have become part of Google, there doesn't seem to be any way to contact them.

      My recent problem is that my subs number seems to jump up and down by about 150 on a daily basis - see:
      http://www.FeedCompare.com/?feed1=mrsciencepodcast&feed2=&feed3=&feed4=&months=3

      I can see why - netvibes apparently - although I find it rather hard to believe there are this many netvibes subscribers logging on one day and then not the next.

      I like the ability to move sites and keep the same feed (which I have done once or twice) but feedburner's lack of transparency (ie the subs algorithm) and the fact that I can't contact them has started me thinking of alternatives. Does anyone know of any good feedburner alternatives? Are there any strong opinions (positive or negative) on feedburner out there?

      Cheers
      marc

      PS I know I should use the download count as the actual statistical basis for how well the podcast is going.
    • timcoyne_com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 27 2:28 PM
        Hi everybody.

        I touched base with a friend who worked on the Feedburner team and now works with Google in a different department. He told me to feel free to post the following comment. Hope it helps:

        Hi - I used to run the publisher services team at FeedBurner, but am on a different project at Google now. The issue you're seeing is not that 150 users at Netvibes are logging in one day, then not logging in the next day... it's that some days Netvibes reports its numbers, other days (apparently) it doesn't. If the feed is not requested in a 24 hour period by Netvibes, then for that day, we don't know about those subscribers. What FeedBurner is reporting is what the web-based aggregators report -- if the aggregator doesn't request the feed (and report the number of subscribers in that request) then there's no way to recreate that number.

        For future reference, FeedBurner's help section is here:

        http://www.google.com/support/feedburner/?hl=en

        And the help group for Q&A is here:

        https://groups.google.com/group/feedburner?pli=1

        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2010
          Hi there,

          That's interesting - I thought something like that must be going on - it would suggest that netvibes is quite generous in how it designates a subscriber, as clearly they aren't requesting my feed very often! That is, about 150 netvibes users have the feed on their netvibes page, but they log in and request the feed so infrequently that there are many days when not a single subscriber logs in. Seems fairly improbably, so I suggest the netvibes number is dodgy - they have had issues with this in past:

          http://techcrunch.com/2008/08/04/all-it-takes-to-inflate-your-feedburner-numbers-is-a-netvibes-account/

          http://planetozh.com/blog/2008/04/feedburner-and-netvibes-doing-it-wrong/

          Cheers,
          marc