Re: [podcasters] My feed won't validate

  • Ben Straw
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
      WOW 2.5.1 of wordpress! talk about a hackers dream. First off I'd try updating wordpress, its now version 2.9.2 and then update all of your plugins

      Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media
      P: 1-304-449-4335
      Skype: n3bb3n
      Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

      Shows Produced by Qetuo Media - http://qetuo.me

      Ben's Tech Show - http://BensTechShow.com
      How 2 Podcast - http://How2Podcast.com
      Mac Tip Podcast - http://MacTipPodcast.com

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
        Hi David,
        I checked into your feed and I can't figure it out. Maybe it just has to
        be updated and the plugins updated as Ben suggested.

        I did a side-by-side of the mp3 enclosure with a previous episode and
        everything seems to be in order.
        I tried to download the episode and it downloaded fine. I verified that
        an actual mp3 downloaded and that it would play, so we know it's not the
        mp3 itself or the link.

        I clicked play on your website player and it started to load in the
        player but would not actually play.
        I tried your previous episode in your player and it played fine. So it's
        not the MP3 and it's not the player (unless your player has a max. time
        limit, but that shouldn't have anything to do with your feed not
        validating).
        I tried playing ep #235 again and gave it a bit more time. The progress
        bar moved to about 50% and has been there for the past 30+ minutes. It's
        safe to say it's not going to play :)

        I then searched itunes store, subscribed to your podcast and it listed
        your latest episode, #235, comlete with description, but it would not
        download it. I erased that and subscribed from your site. Same thing.

        By process of elimination we know the mp3 and the link to it is good (or
        else I couldn't manually download it).
        We know the player works
        We know your feed links to the content in itunes (it says its there) but
        not to the actual mp3 (and we already verified the link is good)

        I checked your feed http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/feed/ and got the
        message I'm sure you have already seen:
        This feed does not validate. *line 81, column 3: url must be a full URL:
        http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/podcasts//%23235%20%e2%80%93%20Using%20Alchemical%20Archetypes.mp3

        I already did a side by side comparison with previous working enclosures
        and it appears to be ok. So unless I overlooked something obvious, this
        episode seems to be a walking contradiction - the valid links are not valid.

        I'm fresh out of ideas other than what Ben already suggested: update
        Wordpress and your plugins

        Kenn

        ______________________________________

        The Offical Dead Hunt Site
        http://deadhunt.kenncrawford.com

        Dead Hunt on Podiobooks.com
        http://www.podiobooks.com/title/dead-hunt

        Kenn's Homepage and Blog
        http://kenncrawford.com
        Twitter: http://twitter.com/kenncrawford
        Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kenn.crawford
      • Nobilis Reed
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
          I wonder why the dash didn't get converted into a %## code.

          On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Kenn Crawford <kenn@...> wrote:

          > I checked your feed http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/feed/ and got the
          > message I'm sure you have already seen:
          > This feed does not validate. *line 81, column 3: url must be a full URL:
          > http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/podcasts//%23235%20%e2%80%93%20Using%20Alchemical%20Archetypes.mp3
          >
          > I already did a side by side comparison with previous working enclosures
          > and it appears to be ok. So unless I overlooked something obvious, this
          > episode seems to be a walking contradiction - the valid links are not valid.
          >
          > I'm fresh out of ideas other than what Ben already suggested: update
          > Wordpress and your plugins

          -----
          99c short stories - http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Nobilis
        • Kenn Crawford
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
            Good eye, Nobilis.
            Not sure why they didn't get converted but the previous episodes are the
            same. Not sure why it has a double // either :)
            Here is the link for the last two episodes according to his pages source
            file:

            http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/podcasts//%23235%20%e2%80%93%20Using%20Alchemical%20Archetypes.mp3
            http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/podcasts//%23234%20-%20Psychoanalysis%20in%20Ireland%20with%20Paul%20Moore.mp3

            Both have the dash. Second one works, first one does not. Copy/paste the
            non-working link into your browser and it will download the file no
            problem... so it's a working-nonworking link. :) No wonder he was
            getting frustrated :(.

            Kenn

            --

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
              The first one is an M-dash, the second one is an N-dash. I bet if you
              change the filename so that it uses the N-dash, it will work.

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
                Like I said, good eye. How in the heck can you tell the difference
                between the dashes? :)

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
                  In my day job I'm a software QA engineer. Eleven years experience.
                  These things become second nature.