Re: [podcasters] My feed won't validate

  • Kenn Crawford
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
      Whats the address of your feed?

      vannuysd wrote:
      > Anybody out there real sharp on feeds? The player on my site won't play my latest podcast. All the others play fine. Not aware that I did anything different, except this show runs 1 hr. 20 minutes, which is longer than any of my others. I'm using WordPress 2.5.1
      >
      > I get an error in Feedburner saying that it's not a full URL. I've tried deleting the show and resubmitting it. The URL looks to be just like all the other URLs that are working.
      >

      > Helppp!!!!
      >
      > David

      ______________________________________

      The Offical Dead Hunt Site
      http://deadhunt.kenncrawford.com

      Dead Hunt on Podiobooks.com
      http://www.podiobooks.com/title/dead-hunt

      Kenn's Homepage and Blog
      http://kenncrawford.com
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/kenncrawford
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kenn.crawford
    • Ben Straw
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
        WOW 2.5.1 of wordpress! talk about a hackers dream. First off I'd try updating wordpress, its now version 2.9.2 and then update all of your plugins

        Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media
        P: 1-304-449-4335
        Skype: n3bb3n
        Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

        Shows Produced by Qetuo Media - http://qetuo.me

        Ben's Tech Show - http://BensTechShow.com
        How 2 Podcast - http://How2Podcast.com
        Mac Tip Podcast - http://MacTipPodcast.com

        ________________________________

        ____________ _________ _________ ________

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
          Hi David,
          I checked into your feed and I can't figure it out. Maybe it just has to
          be updated and the plugins updated as Ben suggested.

          I did a side-by-side of the mp3 enclosure with a previous episode and
          everything seems to be in order.
          I tried to download the episode and it downloaded fine. I verified that
          an actual mp3 downloaded and that it would play, so we know it's not the
          mp3 itself or the link.

          I clicked play on your website player and it started to load in the
          player but would not actually play.
          I tried your previous episode in your player and it played fine. So it's
          not the MP3 and it's not the player (unless your player has a max. time
          limit, but that shouldn't have anything to do with your feed not
          validating).
          I tried playing ep #235 again and gave it a bit more time. The progress
          bar moved to about 50% and has been there for the past 30+ minutes. It's
          safe to say it's not going to play :)

          I then searched itunes store, subscribed to your podcast and it listed
          your latest episode, #235, comlete with description, but it would not
          download it. I erased that and subscribed from your site. Same thing.

          By process of elimination we know the mp3 and the link to it is good (or
          else I couldn't manually download it).
          We know the player works
          We know your feed links to the content in itunes (it says its there) but
          not to the actual mp3 (and we already verified the link is good)

          I checked your feed http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/feed/ and got the
          message I'm sure you have already seen:
          This feed does not validate. *line 81, column 3: url must be a full URL:
          http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/podcasts//%23235%20%e2%80%93%20Using%20Alchemical%20Archetypes.mp3

          I already did a side by side comparison with previous working enclosures
          and it appears to be ok. So unless I overlooked something obvious, this
          episode seems to be a walking contradiction - the valid links are not valid.

          I'm fresh out of ideas other than what Ben already suggested: update
          Wordpress and your plugins

          Kenn

          ______________________________________

          The Offical Dead Hunt Site
          http://deadhunt.kenncrawford.com

          Dead Hunt on Podiobooks.com
          http://www.podiobooks.com/title/dead-hunt

          Kenn's Homepage and Blog
          http://kenncrawford.com
          Twitter: http://twitter.com/kenncrawford
          Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kenn.crawford
        • Nobilis Reed
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
            I wonder why the dash didn't get converted into a %## code.

            On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Kenn Crawford <kenn@...> wrote:

            > I checked your feed http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/feed/ and got the
            > message I'm sure you have already seen:
            > This feed does not validate. *line 81, column 3: url must be a full URL:
            > http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/podcasts//%23235%20%e2%80%93%20Using%20Alchemical%20Archetypes.mp3
            >
            > I already did a side by side comparison with previous working enclosures
            > and it appears to be ok. So unless I overlooked something obvious, this
            > episode seems to be a walking contradiction - the valid links are not valid.
            >
            > I'm fresh out of ideas other than what Ben already suggested: update
            > Wordpress and your plugins

            -----
            99c short stories - http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Nobilis
          • Kenn Crawford
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
              Good eye, Nobilis.
              Not sure why they didn't get converted but the previous episodes are the
              same. Not sure why it has a double // either :)
              Here is the link for the last two episodes according to his pages source
              file:

              http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/podcasts//%23235%20%e2%80%93%20Using%20Alchemical%20Archetypes.mp3
              http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/podcasts//%23234%20-%20Psychoanalysis%20in%20Ireland%20with%20Paul%20Moore.mp3

              Both have the dash. Second one works, first one does not. Copy/paste the
              non-working link into your browser and it will download the file no
              problem... so it's a working-nonworking link. :) No wonder he was
              getting frustrated :(.

              Kenn

              --

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
                The first one is an M-dash, the second one is an N-dash. I bet if you
                change the filename so that it uses the N-dash, it will work.

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
                  Like I said, good eye. How in the heck can you tell the difference
                  between the dashes? :)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
                    In my day job I'm a software QA engineer. Eleven years experience.
                    These things become second nature.