My feed won't validate

  • vannuysd
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 23, 2010
      Anybody out there real sharp on feeds? The player on my site won't play my latest podcast. All the others play fine. Not aware that I did anything different, except this show runs 1 hr. 20 minutes, which is longer than any of my others. I'm using WordPress 2.5.1

      I get an error in Feedburner saying that it's not a full URL. I've tried deleting the show and resubmitting it. The URL looks to be just like all the other URLs that are working.

      Helppp!!!!

      David
    • Kenn Crawford
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
        Whats the address of your feed?

        vannuysd wrote:
        > Anybody out there real sharp on feeds? The player on my site won't play my latest podcast. All the others play fine. Not aware that I did anything different, except this show runs 1 hr. 20 minutes, which is longer than any of my others. I'm using WordPress 2.5.1
        >
        > I get an error in Feedburner saying that it's not a full URL. I've tried deleting the show and resubmitting it. The URL looks to be just like all the other URLs that are working.
        >

        > Helppp!!!!
        >
        > David

        ______________________________________

        The Offical Dead Hunt Site
        http://deadhunt.kenncrawford.com

        Dead Hunt on Podiobooks.com
        http://www.podiobooks.com/title/dead-hunt

        Kenn's Homepage and Blog
        http://kenncrawford.com
        Twitter: http://twitter.com/kenncrawford
        Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kenn.crawford
      • Ben Straw
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
          WOW 2.5.1 of wordpress! talk about a hackers dream. First off I'd try updating wordpress, its now version 2.9.2 and then update all of your plugins

          Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media
          P: 1-304-449-4335
          Skype: n3bb3n
          Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

          Shows Produced by Qetuo Media - http://qetuo.me

          Ben's Tech Show - http://BensTechShow.com
          How 2 Podcast - http://How2Podcast.com
          Mac Tip Podcast - http://MacTipPodcast.com

          ________________________________

          ____________ _________ _________ ________

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
            Hi David,
            I checked into your feed and I can't figure it out. Maybe it just has to
            be updated and the plugins updated as Ben suggested.

            I did a side-by-side of the mp3 enclosure with a previous episode and
            everything seems to be in order.
            I tried to download the episode and it downloaded fine. I verified that
            an actual mp3 downloaded and that it would play, so we know it's not the
            mp3 itself or the link.

            I clicked play on your website player and it started to load in the
            player but would not actually play.
            I tried your previous episode in your player and it played fine. So it's
            not the MP3 and it's not the player (unless your player has a max. time
            limit, but that shouldn't have anything to do with your feed not
            validating).
            I tried playing ep #235 again and gave it a bit more time. The progress
            bar moved to about 50% and has been there for the past 30+ minutes. It's
            safe to say it's not going to play :)

            I then searched itunes store, subscribed to your podcast and it listed
            your latest episode, #235, comlete with description, but it would not
            download it. I erased that and subscribed from your site. Same thing.

            By process of elimination we know the mp3 and the link to it is good (or
            else I couldn't manually download it).
            We know the player works
            We know your feed links to the content in itunes (it says its there) but
            not to the actual mp3 (and we already verified the link is good)

            I checked your feed http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/feed/ and got the
            message I'm sure you have already seen:
            This feed does not validate. *line 81, column 3: url must be a full URL:
            http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/podcasts//%23235%20%e2%80%93%20Using%20Alchemical%20Archetypes.mp3

            I already did a side by side comparison with previous working enclosures
            and it appears to be ok. So unless I overlooked something obvious, this
            episode seems to be a walking contradiction - the valid links are not valid.

            I'm fresh out of ideas other than what Ben already suggested: update
            Wordpress and your plugins

            Kenn

            ______________________________________

            The Offical Dead Hunt Site
            http://deadhunt.kenncrawford.com

            Dead Hunt on Podiobooks.com
            http://www.podiobooks.com/title/dead-hunt

            Kenn's Homepage and Blog
            http://kenncrawford.com
            Twitter: http://twitter.com/kenncrawford
            Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kenn.crawford
          • Nobilis Reed
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
              I wonder why the dash didn't get converted into a %## code.

              On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Kenn Crawford <kenn@...> wrote:

              > I checked your feed http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/feed/ and got the
              > message I'm sure you have already seen:
              > This feed does not validate. *line 81, column 3: url must be a full URL:
              > http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/podcasts//%23235%20%e2%80%93%20Using%20Alchemical%20Archetypes.mp3
              >
              > I already did a side by side comparison with previous working enclosures
              > and it appears to be ok. So unless I overlooked something obvious, this
              > episode seems to be a walking contradiction - the valid links are not valid.
              >
              > I'm fresh out of ideas other than what Ben already suggested: update
              > Wordpress and your plugins

              -----
              99c short stories - http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Nobilis
            • Kenn Crawford
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
                Good eye, Nobilis.
                Not sure why they didn't get converted but the previous episodes are the
                same. Not sure why it has a double // either :)
                Here is the link for the last two episodes according to his pages source
                file:

                http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/podcasts//%23235%20%e2%80%93%20Using%20Alchemical%20Archetypes.mp3
                http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/podcasts//%23234%20-%20Psychoanalysis%20in%20Ireland%20with%20Paul%20Moore.mp3

                Both have the dash. Second one works, first one does not. Copy/paste the
                non-working link into your browser and it will download the file no
                problem... so it's a working-nonworking link. :) No wonder he was
                getting frustrated :(.

                Kenn

                --

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
                  The first one is an M-dash, the second one is an N-dash. I bet if you
                  change the filename so that it uses the N-dash, it will work.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
                    Like I said, good eye. How in the heck can you tell the difference
                    between the dashes? :)

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
                      In my day job I'm a software QA engineer. Eleven years experience.
                      These things become second nature.