Re: [podcasters] Odeo?

  • Dan Hughes
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 18, 2010
      Ben, Shawn Kenn -

      Thanks for your responses. Here is my problem: I'm not computer-savvy
      enough to do what you suggest. With Odeo and with the google player, all
      I had to do was paste in some code for each podcast.

      For Odeo:

      <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="180" height="32"
      src="http://www.odeo.com/flash/audio_player_standard_gray.swf"
      quality="high" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent"
      flashvars="valid_sample_rate=true&external_url=http://media.libsyn.co
      m/media/danhughes/PROGAMTITLE.mp3"
      pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>

      And for Google:

      <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="200" height="27"
      src="http://www.google.com/reader/ui/3247397568-audio-player.swf?audioUrl
      =http://media.libsyn.com/media/danhughes/PROGRAMTITLE.mp3"
      allowscriptaccess="never" quality="best" bgcolor="#ffffff" wmode="window"
      flashvars="playerMode=embedded"></embed>

      No uploading other files or programs - that little bit of code did it
      all.

      What I need is a similar bit of code to embed a player that works for
      everybody. I have no way (that I know of) to upload specific programs to
      my libsyn files.

      So, can anyone give me code for a player that might be better than the
      google player?

      And do you know why many people who could access the Odeo player cannot
      see the controls for the google player?

      Thanks again,

      ---Dan
    • Ben Straw
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 18, 2010
        The biggest problem your using libsyn as a webpage. Libsyn is meant to only be a host for the MP3 files and an rss.
        I would say the reason why people are having problems with the google player is
        1. Not having the latest version of adobe flash.
        2. Some software blacklisted the player.
        3. Browser not being updated.

        If I where you, I'd head on over to godaddy.com and pick up a domain, then head over to hostgator.com or bluehost.com and get a hosting package. Install wordpress, find a good theme, install blubrrys powerpress plugin, and import your posts from libsyn.

        Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media
        P: 1-304-449-4335
        Skype: n3bb3n
        Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

        Shows Produced by Qetuo Media - http://qetuo.me

        Ben's Tech Show - http://BensTechShow.com
        How 2 Podcast - http://How2Podcast.com
        Mac Tip Podcast - http://MacTipPodcast.com

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 18, 2010
          Solved all my problems today! (Well, my podcast technical problems,
          anyway).

          The reason a lot of computers weren't showing the google mp3 player with
          my podcasts is that I had not removed all the calls for the Odeo mp3
          player. So some operating systems or Windows versions or whatever were
          locking up when they couldn't find the Odeo website, and not skipping on
          to the next step, which was to grab the google player.

          I removed all references to Odeo from my code, and now google loads as it
          should, and everything plays correctly.

          Thanks for all your input, and I'm glad I don't have to do all the work
          it looked like I was facing.

          ---Dan, http://thetreasurecorner.com
          http://thesoftballcorner.com