Re: [podcasters] Odeo?

  • Dan Hughes
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 17, 2010
      The screenshot I tried to embed into my note about the Google MP3 player
      did not show up.

      I hope you can view it as an attachment.

      Thanks.

    • Ben Straw
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 17, 2010
        I've never liked the google player... so why not try http://wpaudioplayer.com/standalone also known as "1 pixel out player" its the same one used by almost every podcaster. and my fav :D, this one is the standalone version so no need to have WP installed, have fun :D

        Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media
        P: 1-304-449-4335
        Skype: n3bb3n
        Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

        Shows Produced by Qetuo Media - http://qetuo.me

        Ben's Tech Show - http://BensTechShow.com
        How 2 Podcast - http://How2Podcast.com
        Mac Tip Podcast - http://MacTipPodcast.com

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 17, 2010
          I can see the Flash players on your page. Not sure why others are having
          problems. As far as Odeo goes, not sure there, either. The company's Twitter
          account (http://twitter.com/odeo) hasn't been updated since 2007, and I
          don't know of any other way to contact them. Regardless, try out some
          different Flash players. The suggestion of the 1 pixel out player is a good
          one. And doesn't LibSyn have its own player, as well?

          On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

          > I've been podcasting almost two years, using the Odeo MP3 player in each
          > of my podcasts.
          >
          > Yesterday the player disappeared from all my shows, and http://odeo.com
          > gives me a no-such-URL report. I can't find anything on the internet
          > about this - does anyone know?
          >
          > I have begun replacing the Odeo player with the Google player, and many
          > of my listeners say the new player does not show up when they go to my
          > podcasts.
          >
          > Here is one of my sites:
          > http://thetreasurecorner.com
          >
          > and here is what you should see if you go there:
          >
          > The MP3 player is the set of rectangles (rewind-play-ff-volume control)
          > you see in the middle of each shownote. Why are some people not seeing
          > that when they access my site?
          >
          > Thanks for any help on either the fate of Odeo or my MP3 player problem.
          >
          > ---Dan

          -Shawn Thorpe
          http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
          http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
          http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!

        • Kenn Crawford
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 17, 2010
            The wpaudioplayer is cool, I use it on my site. I just type in the link
            and the wpaudio plugin does the rest. I never used the standalone
            version Ben suggested by I imagine they are the same thing.
            Visit http://deadhunt.kenncrawford.com to see it in action. It doesn't
            have the pretty (and unneeded) FF and REW buttons but you can do the
            same thing by simply clicking any area in the bar to FF and REW when the
            song loads and you can pause it. So its quick, painless, easy to use,
            looks good and WORKS! :)

            I noticed your site is powered by Libsyn. They have player too... I
            believe its called Wizzard. Might be worth checking into as well.

            Kenn

            Ben Straw wrote:
            > I've never liked the google player... so why not try http://wpaudioplayer.com/standalone also known as "1 pixel out player" its the same one used by almost every podcaster. and my fav :D, this one is the standalone version so no need to have WP installed, have fun :D
            >
            > Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media
            > P: 1-304-449-4335
            > Skype: n3bb3n
            > Twitter: twitter.com/nebben
            >

            > Shows Produced by Qetuo Media - http://qetuo.me
            >

            > Ben's Tech Show - http://BensTechShow.com
            > How 2 Podcast - http://How2Podcast.com
            > Mac Tip Podcast - http://MacTipPodcast.com
            >

            > ________________________________

            ______________________________________

            The Offical Dead Hunt Site
            http://deadhunt.kenncrawford.com

            Dead Hunt on Podiobooks.com
            http://www.podiobooks.com/title/dead-hunt

            Kenn's Homepage and Blog
            http://kenncrawford.com
            Twitter: http://twitter.com/kenncrawford
            Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kenn.crawford
          • Dan Hughes
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 18, 2010
              Ben, Shawn Kenn -

              Thanks for your responses. Here is my problem: I'm not computer-savvy
              enough to do what you suggest. With Odeo and with the google player, all
              I had to do was paste in some code for each podcast.

              For Odeo:

              <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="180" height="32"
              src="http://www.odeo.com/flash/audio_player_standard_gray.swf"
              quality="high" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent"
              flashvars="valid_sample_rate=true&external_url=http://media.libsyn.co
              m/media/danhughes/PROGAMTITLE.mp3"
              pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>

              And for Google:

              <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="200" height="27"
              src="http://www.google.com/reader/ui/3247397568-audio-player.swf?audioUrl
              =http://media.libsyn.com/media/danhughes/PROGRAMTITLE.mp3"
              allowscriptaccess="never" quality="best" bgcolor="#ffffff" wmode="window"
              flashvars="playerMode=embedded"></embed>

              No uploading other files or programs - that little bit of code did it
              all.

              What I need is a similar bit of code to embed a player that works for
              everybody. I have no way (that I know of) to upload specific programs to
              my libsyn files.

              So, can anyone give me code for a player that might be better than the
              google player?

              And do you know why many people who could access the Odeo player cannot
              see the controls for the google player?

              Thanks again,

              ---Dan
            • Ben Straw
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 18, 2010
                The biggest problem your using libsyn as a webpage. Libsyn is meant to only be a host for the MP3 files and an rss.
                I would say the reason why people are having problems with the google player is
                1. Not having the latest version of adobe flash.
                2. Some software blacklisted the player.
                3. Browser not being updated.

                If I where you, I'd head on over to godaddy.com and pick up a domain, then head over to hostgator.com or bluehost.com and get a hosting package. Install wordpress, find a good theme, install blubrrys powerpress plugin, and import your posts from libsyn.

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 18, 2010
                  Solved all my problems today! (Well, my podcast technical problems,
                  anyway).

                  The reason a lot of computers weren't showing the google mp3 player with
                  my podcasts is that I had not removed all the calls for the Odeo mp3
                  player. So some operating systems or Windows versions or whatever were
                  locking up when they couldn't find the Odeo website, and not skipping on
                  to the next step, which was to grab the google player.

                  I removed all references to Odeo from my code, and now google loads as it
                  should, and everything plays correctly.

                  Thanks for all your input, and I'm glad I don't have to do all the work
                  it looked like I was facing.

                  ---Dan, http://thetreasurecorner.com
                  http://thesoftballcorner.com