Re: [podcasters] AT&T internet service provider blocking iTunes subscriptions??

  • Shawn Thorpe
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 17, 2010
      I've been using AT&T DSL since 2001, and I've never heard of this. Can you
      provide your RSS feed so I can subscribe and see if I get the same problem?
      Also, can you get the exact error message that these users are seeing?

      --
      -Shawn Thorpe
      http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog

    • nycedeli
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 17, 2010
        To Ben & Shawn: Thanks very much for responding to my query.

        To Ben: Yes, I use Feedburner and I use Libsyn to host my audio files. I checked Feed Validator and it said my podcast feed is working and is valid. One listener told me that she is running the latest version of iTunes. I'm not sure about the other listener.

        To Shawn: Here is my podcast info:
        Name of podcast: Voices en Español
        RSS Feed URL: http://spanish-podcast.com/category/podcasts/feed/

        Feedburner URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/vocespodcast

        iTUnes URL: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/id266594479

        I've sent an email to both listeners asking for more details about the exact error message they receive, if any. One indicate that she was unable to subscribe while the other said he was getting a message about TOS / SSL settings.

        Thank you very much,

        Eleena

      • Shawn Thorpe
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 17, 2010
          I subscribed using all three of your methods, through iTunes, and I had no
          problems. Are you certain that the 2 subscribers who contacted you with
          problems use AT&T as their ISP? Also, when I do a Google search for "TOS
          SSL" it asks me if I mean "TLS SSL." That's why I said it'd be best if you
          can get the exact error message that these users are receiving. Another
          approach would be to find out if these users have the same problem with ALL
          podcast feeds. If they are, then the problem's probably not your feed(s),
          but something on their end.

          --
          -Shawn Thorpe
          http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
          http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
          http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!

        • Kenn Crawford
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 17, 2010
            I tried subscribing to your podcast in itunes and didn't have a problem
            either. But I did notice your itunes url did not have a title in it
            between the /podcast/ and the /id266594479 part

            Mine is listed as follows
            http://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/dead-hunt-a-free-audiobook/id362968244
            so it has the /dead-hunt-a-free-audiobook/ in between the "podcast" and
            "id" part

            I grabbed another podcast at random and got
            http://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/ssl4you-spanish-segunda-lengua/id125738422
            I tried a few others and they all have a title. Maybe that is what is
            getting them hung up? Anything is possible when it comes to itunes LOL

            I gave your link a title based on the name of your show and it brought
            me to your itunes page no problem.
            So try sending them to this link to subscribe instead
            http://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/voices-en-espanol/id266594479
            Then get them to click the blue "View in iTunes" button (NOT the logo
            for your show, the blue button.). That new page links to the itunes
            store WITH the title in the link. Maybe that will work for them.

            Personally I think its an issue with their firewall and not your feed.
            Maybe they recently installed Norton or something else that has taken
            control of their firewall. Not having issues downloading content from
            other podcasts is not a factor because they are already subscribed to
            them. Ask them to subscribe to a new podcast other than yours and see if
            they have the same issue.

            Kenn

            --

            The Offical Dead Hunt Site