AT&T internet service provider blocking iTunes subscriptions??

  • nycedeli
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 17, 2010
      Two different podcast listeners, both of whom use AT&T as their internet service provider (former BellSouth/SBC Global to be specific), have emailed me saying that they are unable to subscribe to my podcast via iTunes.

      Here is the message that I received from one listener:

      "I cannot subscribe to your downloads on my itunes. every
      time I try, get message about the tos/ssl settiings....which ARE
      enabled. Please help. I have never had a problem with my other
      podcasts."

      I've checked my podcast RSS feed and it is valid. I also have checked my own subscription to my podcast via iTunes and it is working properly, but AT&T isn't my internet service provider, so I'm not experiencing what these listeners say they are experiencing. Also, I haven't gotten any other complaints from other users.

      Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

      Thanks in advance,

      Eleena
    • Ben Straw
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 17, 2010
        There could be a number of problems, first are you using feedburner? In the past I have had some problems with feedburner bugging out and not wanting to download shows. But still if your not using feedburner sign up for an account, and have them subscribe to that feed.
        I would also check with your host that provides the mp3s, there might be a problem with the server.
        Also have them update to the latest version of iTunes.

        Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media
        P: 1-304-449-4335
        Skype: n3bb3n
        Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

        Shows Produced by Qetuo Media - http://qetuo.me

        Ben's Tech Show - http://BensTechShow.com
        How 2 Podcast - http://How2Podcast.com
        Mac Tip Podcast - http://MacTipPodcast.com

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 17, 2010
          I've been using AT&T DSL since 2001, and I've never heard of this. Can you
          provide your RSS feed so I can subscribe and see if I get the same problem?
          Also, can you get the exact error message that these users are seeing?

          --
          -Shawn Thorpe
          http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog

        • nycedeli
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 17, 2010
            To Ben & Shawn: Thanks very much for responding to my query.

            To Ben: Yes, I use Feedburner and I use Libsyn to host my audio files. I checked Feed Validator and it said my podcast feed is working and is valid. One listener told me that she is running the latest version of iTunes. I'm not sure about the other listener.

            To Shawn: Here is my podcast info:
            Name of podcast: Voices en Español
            RSS Feed URL: http://spanish-podcast.com/category/podcasts/feed/

            Feedburner URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/vocespodcast

            iTUnes URL: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/id266594479

            I've sent an email to both listeners asking for more details about the exact error message they receive, if any. One indicate that she was unable to subscribe while the other said he was getting a message about TOS / SSL settings.

            Thank you very much,

            Eleena

          • Shawn Thorpe
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 17, 2010
              I subscribed using all three of your methods, through iTunes, and I had no
              problems. Are you certain that the 2 subscribers who contacted you with
              problems use AT&T as their ISP? Also, when I do a Google search for "TOS
              SSL" it asks me if I mean "TLS SSL." That's why I said it'd be best if you
              can get the exact error message that these users are receiving. Another
              approach would be to find out if these users have the same problem with ALL
              podcast feeds. If they are, then the problem's probably not your feed(s),
              but something on their end.

              --
              -Shawn Thorpe
              http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
              http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
              http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!

            • Kenn Crawford
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 17, 2010
                I tried subscribing to your podcast in itunes and didn't have a problem
                either. But I did notice your itunes url did not have a title in it
                between the /podcast/ and the /id266594479 part

                Mine is listed as follows
                http://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/dead-hunt-a-free-audiobook/id362968244
                so it has the /dead-hunt-a-free-audiobook/ in between the "podcast" and
                "id" part

                I grabbed another podcast at random and got
                http://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/ssl4you-spanish-segunda-lengua/id125738422
                I tried a few others and they all have a title. Maybe that is what is
                getting them hung up? Anything is possible when it comes to itunes LOL

                I gave your link a title based on the name of your show and it brought
                me to your itunes page no problem.
                So try sending them to this link to subscribe instead
                http://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/voices-en-espanol/id266594479
                Then get them to click the blue "View in iTunes" button (NOT the logo
                for your show, the blue button.). That new page links to the itunes
                store WITH the title in the link. Maybe that will work for them.

                Personally I think its an issue with their firewall and not your feed.
                Maybe they recently installed Norton or something else that has taken
                control of their firewall. Not having issues downloading content from
                other podcasts is not a factor because they are already subscribed to
                them. Ask them to subscribe to a new podcast other than yours and see if
                they have the same issue.

                Kenn

                --

                The Offical Dead Hunt Site