Re: Question Re USB Bus Noise

  • Reggie_six
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
      Kenn

      1. The following are plugged into USB ports. Mouse , Keyboard, Printer and external USB drive. (I disconnected the Webcam)

      2. I record in the family and have the PC on as well as a fish tank and overhead incandescent lights. I turned the fish tank off, but that did not help.

      3. The fridge is running in the kitchen but it is on
      a separate circuit.

      When you talk about uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, I assume that you mean for the Mike, right?

      Thanks for the reply
      Reggie Gates

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kenn Crawford <kenn@...> wrote:

      > Hi Reggie,
      > Do you have other things plugged into USB ports like a mouse or keyboard?
      > If you have an optical (laser) mouse, that can cause problems with
      > recording via USB ports.
      > Where in the house are you located and what do you have turned on?
      > Dimmer switches for lights are just bad when recording as are florescent
      > lights. Some house-hold appliances create what is called a 60-cycle hum
      > - I have to turn my fridge off if I want to record :)
      > If you are using Windows, try uninstalling the drivers, clean the temp
      > files, completely remove it from the registry and do a gold boot and
      > reinstall the mic.
      >
      > Kenn

    • Reggie_six
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
        Kenn

        1. The following are plugged into USB ports. Mouse , Keyboard, Printer and external USB drive. (I disconnected the Webcam)

        2. I record in the family and have the PC on as well as a fish tank and overhead incandescent lights. I turned the fish tank off, but that did not help.

        3. The fridge is running in the kitchen but it is on
        a separate circuit.

        When you talk about uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, I assume that you mean for the Mike, right?

        Thanks for the reply
        Reggie Gates

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kenn Crawford <kenn@...> wrote:

        > Hi Reggie,
        > Do you have other things plugged into USB ports like a mouse or keyboard?
        > If you have an optical (laser) mouse, that can cause problems with
        > recording via USB ports.
        > Where in the house are you located and what do you have turned on?
        > Dimmer switches for lights are just bad when recording as are florescent
        > lights. Some house-hold appliances create what is called a 60-cycle hum
        > - I have to turn my fridge off if I want to record :)
        > If you are using Windows, try uninstalling the drivers, clean the temp
        > files, completely remove it from the registry and do a gold boot and
        > reinstall the mic.
        >
        > Kenn

      • Kenn Crawford
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
          The printer should not matter, nor should the mouse and keyboard unless
          the mouse is optical. Some cause interference, especially if you move
          it. Start a recording and with the recording still going, unplug the
          mouse. Wait a few seconds and plug it in and stop the recording. If the
          noise stopped, its your mouse. The lights shouldn't be a problem unless
          they are on a dimmer. Do the same test. Let the mic record, turn off
          lights. If the noise stops, its the lights (dimmer).
          Other things to check is if there are electrial wires/extension cords
          running next to the mic cable. That could cause problems.
          When you ruled out external problems, it could be the driver.

          Windows has a nasty habit of installing its own driver regardless of
          what you tell it to do.
          Click start run
          and type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. That will launch your device manager.
          Click on Sound, Video and Game Controllers
          Your mic should be listed by name. If it says USB Audio, its the wrong
          driver.
          Right click it, select Update Driver
          Select No, Not This Time then Next
          Select Install from a list... then Next
          Select Don't search... then Next
          The name of your mic should now be listed. It may even say USB Audio
          Device. Highlight your mic, click Next and finish.
          Try a new recording.

          If you are still getting noise, go back into the device manager and
          unistall the device and unplug it.
          Click start Run and type %temp% and delete everything in that window
          Click Start Run and type Prefetch and delete everything in that window
          Empty the recycle bin and turn computer off. Wait 30 seconds and turn it
          back on. When it finishes starting, plug in the mic and install it.
          Verify that it is listed by name and do another test recording.
          If still noisy, go back into your device manager and check your usb
          ports and update the drivers. You should manually check for your windows
          updates.
          STart Run and type wupdmgr and hit enter
          Click on Custom and see if anything is listed for hardware.
          Anything for soundcard, USB ports, audio etc should all be updated to
          the latest drivers. Make sure your soundcard is updated as well.

          Depending on where your soundcard is located in your computer it might
          cuase problems. If it is a PCI card, try moving it to a different slot.
          Unintsall it first, shut the computer down, then move the card. If it is
          a PCI card, have you disabled the built-in audio in your bios since you
          no longer use it? If they are both using the s ame IRQ it could cause
          problems, so disable it if it's not being used.

          If you are still getting noise you might want to consider moving the pc
          to a different power outlet just to check that its not the power itself.
          Long extension cords reduce amperage to the pc and can cause problems.
          If you are still getting noise you should check the forums for your make
          and model mic for additional troubleshooting steps and consider picking
          up a better power supply for your computer if it is a tower.

          Its also worth noting that if you crank the input beyond what you really
          need, it will be noisy simply because it doesn't have to be that loud. I
          haven't heard an actual recording, I don't know how you are recording it
          or your experience with it, so I'm just trying to cover all the basics.
          So try the steps above anf if it's still noisy, record a short file of
          you talking for about 30 seconds and email it to me at kenn at
          kenncrawford dot com so I can hear what kind of noise you are getting.

          Kenn

          Reggie_six wrote:
          > Kenn

          > 1. The following are plugged into USB ports. Mouse , Keyboard, Printer and external USB drive. (I disconnected the Webcam)
          >
          > 2. I record in the family and have the PC on as well as a fish tank and overhead incandescent lights. I turned the fish tank off, but that did not help.
          >
          > 3. The fridge is running in the kitchen but it is on
          > a separate circuit.
          >
          > When you talk about uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, I assume that you mean for the Mike, right?
          >
          > Thanks for the reply
          > Reggie Gates
          >

          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kenn Crawford <kenn@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Hi Reggie,
          >> Do you have other things plugged into USB ports like a mouse or keyboard?
          >> If you have an optical (laser) mouse, that can cause problems with
          >> recording via USB ports.
          >> Where in the house are you located and what do you have turned on?
          >> Dimmer switches for lights are just bad when recording as are florescent
          >> lights. Some house-hold appliances create what is called a 60-cycle hum
          >> - I have to turn my fridge off if I want to record :)
          >> If you are using Windows, try uninstalling the drivers, clean the temp
          >> files, completely remove it from the registry and do a gold boot and
          >> reinstall the mic.
          >>
          >> Kenn

          ______________________________________

          The Offical Dead Hunt Site
          http://deadhunt.kenncrawford.com

          Dead Hunt on Podiobooks.com
          http://www.podiobooks.com/title/dead-hunt

          Kenn's Homepage and Blog
          http://kenncrawford.com
          Twitter: http://twitter.com/kenncrawford
          Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kenn.crawford
        • Will Brown
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 13, 2010
            Ben, thanks so much for providing info about this plugin. This is something
            that a few of us have been thinking about.
            Especially since Firefox only supports HTML5 with OGG Vorbis and not MP3.
            This looks like it could do the trick.
            Thanks again.

            Will
            http://www.CloudyDayArt.com - Poetry Podcast