Re: [podcasters] Re: Question Re USB Bus Noise

  • Kenn Crawford
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
      What Ben said is great advice. Cheap power supplies are just not good in
      the long run. Make sure you're computer has plenty of juice so if you
      need 300 watts of power for your computer get a 400w power supply. I
      second Ben's suggestion of getting a power conditioner. I have 4 in my
      studio and I would not dream of plugging anything directly into the wall
      when it comes to recording/computer gear.

      Kenn

      ______________________________________

      The Offical Dead Hunt Site
      http://deadhunt.kenncrawford.com

      Dead Hunt on Podiobooks.com
      http://www.podiobooks.com/title/dead-hunt

      Kenn's Homepage and Blog
      http://kenncrawford.com
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/kenncrawford
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kenn.crawford

      Ben Straw wrote:
      > All the things that Kenn talked about are great suggestions on eliminating the DC hum are way more effective then just replacing a power supply. But the reason I brought up the power supply is the OEM (original equipment manufacture) shops around for the cheapest power supply's they can buy. Buying a good name brand power supply will reduce the chance of getting a cheap one and just might take the hum out of the line.
      > Also buying a power conditioner or a backup battery for your computer will help.
      >
      > Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media
      > P: 1-304-449-4335
      > Skype: n3bb3n
      > Twitter: twitter.com/nebben
      >

      > Shows Produced by Qetuo Media - http://qetuo.me
      >

      > Ben's Tech Show - http://BensTechShow.com
      > How 2 Podcast - http://How2Podcast.com
      > Mac Tip Podcast - http://MacTipPodcast.com
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Reggie_six
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
        Kenn

        1. The following are plugged into USB ports. Mouse , Keyboard, Printer and external USB drive. (I disconnected the Webcam)

        2. I record in the family and have the PC on as well as a fish tank and overhead incandescent lights. I turned the fish tank off, but that did not help.

        3. The fridge is running in the kitchen but it is on
        a separate circuit.

        When you talk about uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, I assume that you mean for the Mike, right?

        Thanks for the reply
        Reggie Gates

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kenn Crawford <kenn@...> wrote:

        > Hi Reggie,
        > Do you have other things plugged into USB ports like a mouse or keyboard?
        > If you have an optical (laser) mouse, that can cause problems with
        > recording via USB ports.
        > Where in the house are you located and what do you have turned on?
        > Dimmer switches for lights are just bad when recording as are florescent
        > lights. Some house-hold appliances create what is called a 60-cycle hum
        > - I have to turn my fridge off if I want to record :)
        > If you are using Windows, try uninstalling the drivers, clean the temp
        > files, completely remove it from the registry and do a gold boot and
        > reinstall the mic.
        >
        > Kenn

      • Reggie_six
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
          Kenn

          1. The following are plugged into USB ports. Mouse , Keyboard, Printer and external USB drive. (I disconnected the Webcam)

          2. I record in the family and have the PC on as well as a fish tank and overhead incandescent lights. I turned the fish tank off, but that did not help.

          3. The fridge is running in the kitchen but it is on
          a separate circuit.

          When you talk about uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, I assume that you mean for the Mike, right?

          Thanks for the reply
          Reggie Gates

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kenn Crawford <kenn@...> wrote:

          > Hi Reggie,
          > Do you have other things plugged into USB ports like a mouse or keyboard?
          > If you have an optical (laser) mouse, that can cause problems with
          > recording via USB ports.
          > Where in the house are you located and what do you have turned on?
          > Dimmer switches for lights are just bad when recording as are florescent
          > lights. Some house-hold appliances create what is called a 60-cycle hum
          > - I have to turn my fridge off if I want to record :)
          > If you are using Windows, try uninstalling the drivers, clean the temp
          > files, completely remove it from the registry and do a gold boot and
          > reinstall the mic.
          >
          > Kenn

        • Kenn Crawford
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
            The printer should not matter, nor should the mouse and keyboard unless
            the mouse is optical. Some cause interference, especially if you move
            it. Start a recording and with the recording still going, unplug the
            mouse. Wait a few seconds and plug it in and stop the recording. If the
            noise stopped, its your mouse. The lights shouldn't be a problem unless
            they are on a dimmer. Do the same test. Let the mic record, turn off
            lights. If the noise stops, its the lights (dimmer).
            Other things to check is if there are electrial wires/extension cords
            running next to the mic cable. That could cause problems.
            When you ruled out external problems, it could be the driver.

            Windows has a nasty habit of installing its own driver regardless of
            what you tell it to do.
            Click start run
            and type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. That will launch your device manager.
            Click on Sound, Video and Game Controllers
            Your mic should be listed by name. If it says USB Audio, its the wrong
            driver.
            Right click it, select Update Driver
            Select No, Not This Time then Next
            Select Install from a list... then Next
            Select Don't search... then Next
            The name of your mic should now be listed. It may even say USB Audio
            Device. Highlight your mic, click Next and finish.
            Try a new recording.

            If you are still getting noise, go back into the device manager and
            unistall the device and unplug it.
            Click start Run and type %temp% and delete everything in that window
            Click Start Run and type Prefetch and delete everything in that window
            Empty the recycle bin and turn computer off. Wait 30 seconds and turn it
            back on. When it finishes starting, plug in the mic and install it.
            Verify that it is listed by name and do another test recording.
            If still noisy, go back into your device manager and check your usb
            ports and update the drivers. You should manually check for your windows
            updates.
            STart Run and type wupdmgr and hit enter
            Click on Custom and see if anything is listed for hardware.
            Anything for soundcard, USB ports, audio etc should all be updated to
            the latest drivers. Make sure your soundcard is updated as well.

            Depending on where your soundcard is located in your computer it might
            cuase problems. If it is a PCI card, try moving it to a different slot.
            Unintsall it first, shut the computer down, then move the card. If it is
            a PCI card, have you disabled the built-in audio in your bios since you
            no longer use it? If they are both using the s ame IRQ it could cause
            problems, so disable it if it's not being used.

            If you are still getting noise you might want to consider moving the pc
            to a different power outlet just to check that its not the power itself.
            Long extension cords reduce amperage to the pc and can cause problems.
            If you are still getting noise you should check the forums for your make
            and model mic for additional troubleshooting steps and consider picking
            up a better power supply for your computer if it is a tower.

            Its also worth noting that if you crank the input beyond what you really
            need, it will be noisy simply because it doesn't have to be that loud. I
            haven't heard an actual recording, I don't know how you are recording it
            or your experience with it, so I'm just trying to cover all the basics.
            So try the steps above anf if it's still noisy, record a short file of
            you talking for about 30 seconds and email it to me at kenn at
            kenncrawford dot com so I can hear what kind of noise you are getting.

            Kenn

            ______________________________________

            The Offical Dead Hunt Site
            http://deadhunt.kenncrawford.com

            Dead Hunt on Podiobooks.com
            http://www.podiobooks.com/title/dead-hunt

            Kenn's Homepage and Blog
            http://kenncrawford.com
            Twitter: http://twitter.com/kenncrawford
            Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kenn.crawford
          • Will Brown
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 13, 2010
              Ben, thanks so much for providing info about this plugin. This is something
              that a few of us have been thinking about.
              Especially since Firefox only supports HTML5 with OGG Vorbis and not MP3.
              This looks like it could do the trick.
              Thanks again.

              Will
              http://www.CloudyDayArt.com - Poetry Podcast