Question Re USB Bus Noise

  • Reggie_six
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 11 9:16 PM
      Folks

      Relatively new podcaster here.....

      I use a Samsung C01U Podcasting mike setup for recording. I am getting some background noise when recording that is not due to room noise but seems to be coming from the USB bus (???). I have tried different USB ports and different placement of the mike, as well as different gain control settings - no luck. I have also shut down any programs except my recording software and that didn't help.

      I think I can filter the noise out with Audacity but I would rather not get it to begin with.

      Any and all suggestions are welcome....

      Thanks
      R Gates
    • Ben Straw
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 12 2:21 AM
        most noise like that is due to bad power, if you have a laptop, unplug the power cord. If its a desktop move the computer to another location within you home, and see if that helps

        Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media
        P: 1-304-449-4335
        Skype: n3bb3n
        Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

        Shows Produced by Qetuo Media - http://qetuo.me

        Ben's Tech Show - http://BensTechShow.com
        How 2 Podcast - http://How2Podcast.com
        Mac Tip Podcast - http://MacTipPodcast.com

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 12 7:03 AM
          Hi Reggie,
          Do you have other things plugged into USB ports like a mouse or keyboard?
          If you have an optical (laser) mouse, that can cause problems with
          recording via USB ports.
          Where in the house are you located and what do you have turned on?
          Dimmer switches for lights are just bad when recording as are florescent
          lights. Some house-hold appliances create what is called a 60-cycle hum
          - I have to turn my fridge off if I want to record :)
          If you are using Windows, try uninstalling the drivers, clean the temp
          files, completely remove it from the registry and do a gold boot and
          reinstall the mic.

          Kenn

          Reggie_six wrote:
          > Folks
          >
          > Relatively new podcaster here.....
          >
          > I use a Samsung C01U Podcasting mike setup for recording. I am getting some background noise when recording that is not due to room noise but seems to be coming from the USB bus (???). I have tried different USB ports and different placement of the mike, as well as different gain control settings - no luck. I have also shut down any programs except my recording software and that didn't help.
          >
          > I think I can filter the noise out with Audacity but I would rather not get it to begin with.
          >
          > Any and all suggestions are welcome....
          >
          > Thanks
          > R Gates

          ______________________________________

          The Offical Dead Hunt Site
          http://deadhunt.kenncrawford.com

          Dead Hunt on Podiobooks.com
          http://www.podiobooks.com/title/dead-hunt

          Kenn's Homepage and Blog
          http://kenncrawford.com
          Twitter: http://twitter.com/kenncrawford
          Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kenn.crawford
        • Kenn Crawford
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 12 7:06 AM
            Oops... that last line should have read a COLD boot : )

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 12 10:17 AM
              Benjamin

              Thanks for the suggestions... a couple of questions.

              Could that be a problem with the PC's power supply (I suppose that's possible, but how likely is that)?

              Also, how about the power strip? Should I try replacing that (cheap and easy to do)?

              Thanks again

              Reggie

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 12 10:43 AM
                All the things that Kenn talked about are great suggestions on eliminating the DC hum are way more effective then just replacing a power supply. But the reason I brought up the power supply is the OEM (original equipment manufacture) shops around for the cheapest power supply's they can buy. Buying a good name brand power supply will reduce the chance of getting a cheap one and just might take the hum out of the line.
                Also buying a power conditioner or a backup battery for your computer will help.

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 12 10:48 AM
                  Hey Guys, I just want to let you know I wrote a blog post about putting an HTML5 audio and video player within you blog post and still use the features of Blubrry's PowerPress
                  http://www.how2podcast.com/articles/website/html5-get-your-podcast-website-ready-for-the-ipad-iphone/

                  enjoy,

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 12 11:39 AM
                    What Ben said is great advice. Cheap power supplies are just not good in
                    the long run. Make sure you're computer has plenty of juice so if you
                    need 300 watts of power for your computer get a 400w power supply. I
                    second Ben's suggestion of getting a power conditioner. I have 4 in my
                    studio and I would not dream of plugging anything directly into the wall
                    when it comes to recording/computer gear.

                    Kenn

                    ______________________________________

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 12 3:18 PM
                      Kenn

                      1. The following are plugged into USB ports. Mouse , Keyboard, Printer and external USB drive. (I disconnected the Webcam)

                      2. I record in the family and have the PC on as well as a fish tank and overhead incandescent lights. I turned the fish tank off, but that did not help.

                      3. The fridge is running in the kitchen but it is on
                      a separate circuit.

                      When you talk about uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, I assume that you mean for the Mike, right?

                      Thanks for the reply
                      Reggie Gates

                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kenn Crawford <kenn@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Reggie,
                      > Do you have other things plugged into USB ports like a mouse or keyboard?
                      > If you have an optical (laser) mouse, that can cause problems with
                      > recording via USB ports.
                      > Where in the house are you located and what do you have turned on?
                      > Dimmer switches for lights are just bad when recording as are florescent
                      > lights. Some house-hold appliances create what is called a 60-cycle hum
                      > - I have to turn my fridge off if I want to record :)
                      > If you are using Windows, try uninstalling the drivers, clean the temp
                      > files, completely remove it from the registry and do a gold boot and
                      > reinstall the mic.
                      >
                      > Kenn

                    • Reggie_six
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 12 3:19 PM
                        Kenn

                        1. The following are plugged into USB ports. Mouse , Keyboard, Printer and external USB drive. (I disconnected the Webcam)

                        2. I record in the family and have the PC on as well as a fish tank and overhead incandescent lights. I turned the fish tank off, but that did not help.

                        3. The fridge is running in the kitchen but it is on
                        a separate circuit.

                        When you talk about uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, I assume that you mean for the Mike, right?

                        Thanks for the reply
                        Reggie Gates

                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kenn Crawford <kenn@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Reggie,
                        > Do you have other things plugged into USB ports like a mouse or keyboard?
                        > If you have an optical (laser) mouse, that can cause problems with
                        > recording via USB ports.
                        > Where in the house are you located and what do you have turned on?
                        > Dimmer switches for lights are just bad when recording as are florescent
                        > lights. Some house-hold appliances create what is called a 60-cycle hum
                        > - I have to turn my fridge off if I want to record :)
                        > If you are using Windows, try uninstalling the drivers, clean the temp
                        > files, completely remove it from the registry and do a gold boot and
                        > reinstall the mic.
                        >
                        > Kenn

                      • Kenn Crawford
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 12 3:57 PM
                          The printer should not matter, nor should the mouse and keyboard unless
                          the mouse is optical. Some cause interference, especially if you move
                          it. Start a recording and with the recording still going, unplug the
                          mouse. Wait a few seconds and plug it in and stop the recording. If the
                          noise stopped, its your mouse. The lights shouldn't be a problem unless
                          they are on a dimmer. Do the same test. Let the mic record, turn off
                          lights. If the noise stops, its the lights (dimmer).
                          Other things to check is if there are electrial wires/extension cords
                          running next to the mic cable. That could cause problems.
                          When you ruled out external problems, it could be the driver.

                          Windows has a nasty habit of installing its own driver regardless of
                          what you tell it to do.
                          Click start run
                          and type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. That will launch your device manager.
                          Click on Sound, Video and Game Controllers
                          Your mic should be listed by name. If it says USB Audio, its the wrong
                          driver.
                          Right click it, select Update Driver
                          Select No, Not This Time then Next
                          Select Install from a list... then Next
                          Select Don't search... then Next
                          The name of your mic should now be listed. It may even say USB Audio
                          Device. Highlight your mic, click Next and finish.
                          Try a new recording.

                          If you are still getting noise, go back into the device manager and
                          unistall the device and unplug it.
                          Click start Run and type %temp% and delete everything in that window
                          Click Start Run and type Prefetch and delete everything in that window
                          Empty the recycle bin and turn computer off. Wait 30 seconds and turn it
                          back on. When it finishes starting, plug in the mic and install it.
                          Verify that it is listed by name and do another test recording.
                          If still noisy, go back into your device manager and check your usb
                          ports and update the drivers. You should manually check for your windows
                          updates.
                          STart Run and type wupdmgr and hit enter
                          Click on Custom and see if anything is listed for hardware.
                          Anything for soundcard, USB ports, audio etc should all be updated to
                          the latest drivers. Make sure your soundcard is updated as well.

                          Depending on where your soundcard is located in your computer it might
                          cuase problems. If it is a PCI card, try moving it to a different slot.
                          Unintsall it first, shut the computer down, then move the card. If it is
                          a PCI card, have you disabled the built-in audio in your bios since you
                          no longer use it? If they are both using the s ame IRQ it could cause
                          problems, so disable it if it's not being used.

                          If you are still getting noise you might want to consider moving the pc
                          to a different power outlet just to check that its not the power itself.
                          Long extension cords reduce amperage to the pc and can cause problems.
                          If you are still getting noise you should check the forums for your make
                          and model mic for additional troubleshooting steps and consider picking
                          up a better power supply for your computer if it is a tower.

                          Its also worth noting that if you crank the input beyond what you really
                          need, it will be noisy simply because it doesn't have to be that loud. I
                          haven't heard an actual recording, I don't know how you are recording it
                          or your experience with it, so I'm just trying to cover all the basics.
                          So try the steps above anf if it's still noisy, record a short file of
                          you talking for about 30 seconds and email it to me at kenn at
                          kenncrawford dot com so I can hear what kind of noise you are getting.

                          Kenn

                          ______________________________________

                          The Offical Dead Hunt Site
                          http://deadhunt.kenncrawford.com

                          Dead Hunt on Podiobooks.com
                          http://www.podiobooks.com/title/dead-hunt

                          Kenn's Homepage and Blog
                          http://kenncrawford.com
                          Twitter: http://twitter.com/kenncrawford
                          Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kenn.crawford
                        • Will Brown
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 13 4:46 AM
                            Ben, thanks so much for providing info about this plugin. This is something
                            that a few of us have been thinking about.
                            Especially since Firefox only supports HTML5 with OGG Vorbis and not MP3.
                            This looks like it could do the trick.
                            Thanks again.

                            Will
                            http://www.CloudyDayArt.com - Poetry Podcast