Re: [podcasters] how long do people listen...?

  • Nobilis Reed
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 28, 2010
      Not on their iPods or mp3 players, which is how podcasts are intended
      to be listened to.

      There might be sophisticated flash players for your website that might
      track that information. Mine doesn't.

      On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Craig Kraemer
      <craigk@...> wrote:
      > I am sure this has been addressed already so please bear with them.
      > Is there a web tracking software that can monitor the duration people
      > listen to my mp3 files?
      > Thanks
      > Craig

      -----
      The Nobilis Erotica podcast is now open for submissions - read the
      submission guidelines at
      http://nobiliserotica.com/site/2009/submission-guidelines/
    • p_holyfield_9999
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 28, 2010
        Do you mean if you have a ten minute episode, do they stop after 3 minutes?

        As far as I know, once your file has been downloaded there is no way to automatically track if the file is ever listened to, much less how much they listen to the file.

        --P.G. Holyfield

        Murder at Avedon Hill - will be released on May 20th, 2010 on Amazon.com.

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Craig Kraemer <craigk@...> wrote:

        > I am sure this has been addressed already so please bear with them.
        > Is there a web tracking software that can monitor the duration people
        > listen to my mp3 files?
        > Thanks
        > Craig

      • Craig Kraemer
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 28, 2010
          Thanks Nobilis.

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 28, 2010
            <craigk@...> wrote:
            > I am sure this has been addressed already so please bear with them.
            > Is there a web tracking software that can monitor the duration people
            > listen to my mp3 files?

            It's been tried. There was once a startup called PodBridge that made
            an iTunes plugin that would report back on when you listened, how long
            you listened, etc. They got several million in funding for this in
            2007.[*] They're not around any more.

            Nielsen (the TV ratings people) have also worked on this, and Rob
            Walch and I once wrote up a detailed business plan to tackle the
            problem. Being able to answer "Are people really listening all the
            way through?" is the Holy Grail of podcast advertising. I had some
            interesting ideas on how to hook into the iTunes metadata.

            The basic problem, though, is this: Who's going to install your
            tracking plugin? WHY are they going to install your tracking plugin?

            Put yourself in the place of a casual listener. Would YOU agree to
            let some podcaster's software mess around inside your iTunes? What's
            your immediate visceral reaction to the idea?

            You need to have some motivation for people to voluntarily give up
            some of their privacy. PodBridge tried to do it by locking up the
            podcasts themselves, and making you download the plugin to to get the
            content. They failed. (They were also charging high fees for this
            dumb idea, mostly to corporations.) I believe Nielsen was paying
            people. The plan Rob and I had also involved bribery, but it didn't
            go anywhere.

            These days it's less of an issue; the podcast bubble has popped, and
            no one really believes any more that there are billions to be made in
            podcast advertising, so intrusive analytics don't have any momentum.
            You'll just have to do what every other podcaster does: put your stuff
            out there, and trust that people will listen if they like it.

            [* http://techcrunch.com/2007/04/23/podbridge-podcast-advertising-analytics-gets-8-5-million-series-b/
            ]

            http://www.escapepod.org
          • Nobilis Reed
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 28, 2010
              On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:02 AM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

              > These days it's less of an issue; the podcast bubble has popped, and
              > no one really believes any more that there are billions to be made in
              > podcast advertising, so intrusive analytics don't have any momentum.
              > You'll just have to do what every other podcaster does: put your stuff
              > out there, and trust that people will listen if they like it.

              On that score, listen to the example of the "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me"
              podcast (and radio program, for that matter). They reserve one tiny
              bit of content, their funny predictions about what's going to be in
              the news the following week, to come directly after the closing
              credits. They want people to listen to that, so they bracket it on
              either side with stuff that folks will find entertaining.

              Another one to listen to is the "Gearheart" podcast novel, which ends
              each episode with a funny steampunk-ish Victorian-ish fake
              advertisement.

              I'm still trying to figure out how to make that technique work for me.

              -----