How to write an interview request letter?

  • Stephen Nelson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2010
      Greetings fellow podcasters,

      I've been doing more and more interviews in my podcast. Up till now, I've been interviewing people I've already met, but I'm starting to expand past that, so I'm looking for the best way to contact people to request an interview.

      I just sent off a request that looks vaguely like this:

      > Dear XXX:
      >
      > I would like to interview for my podcast, The Skeptical Viewer. We are a podcast that focuses on how the paranormal is portrayed in the media. Are you interested?
      >
      > You can find our podcast here: http://www.skepticalviewer.com/category/podcasts/

      It struck me as too brief, but I couldn't think of anything else to add. What else should I have said?
    • Steve Riekeberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2010
        I have a bit of experience in this department, as Geek Cred is *all*
        interviews...

        You've got a little tagline describing the show (though something a little
        more substantial might be better), but for starters, you should include why
        you want to interview them, what type of topics you plan to cover, how long
        you want to talk to them or expect it to take (so they can block out their
        schedule), and what method (phone, Skype, etc.) you plan to use to interview
        them.

        Steve Riekeberg
        Host, Geek Cred
        <http://www.geekcred.net>
        818-925-GEEK

        On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:16 PM, Stephen Nelson <stephenenelson@...>wrote:

        > Greetings fellow podcasters,
        >
        > I've been doing more and more interviews in my podcast. Up till now, I've
        > been interviewing people I've already met, but I'm starting to expand past
        > that, so I'm looking for the best way to contact people to request an
        > interview.
        >
        > I just sent off a request that looks vaguely like this:
        >
        > > Dear XXX:
        > >
        > > I would like to interview for my podcast, The Skeptical Viewer. We are a
        > podcast that focuses on how the paranormal is portrayed in the media. Are
        > you interested?
        > >
        > > You can find our podcast here:
        > http://www.skepticalviewer.com/category/podcasts/
        > >

        > It struck me as too brief, but I couldn't think of anything else to add.
        > What else should I have said?

      • Mark Zinkel
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2010
          I am a podcaster and a radio host here in Northern California. I have no
          problem getting guests and I request for them to be on the show very
          informally. Out of something like 14 guest that I asked to come on my show,
          only 1 ignored me. You have to remember that as much as they are helping
          you, you are helping them. If they are famous, you are promoting them, if
          they have a book, you are promoting their book, etc.

          I first try to find a phone number. If I can't find one I'll then find an
          email address. Sometimes you will get the person directly, other times you
          will get their agent/publicist/whatever else they want to call it. I've
          never even tried to send a letter to request an interview.

          Good Luck,
          Mark Zinkel
          www.MarkandStephen.com
          www.1410KMYC.com

          On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:16 PM, Stephen Nelson <stephenenelson@...>wrote:

          > Greetings fellow podcasters,
          >
          > I've been doing more and more interviews in my podcast. Up till now, I've
          > been interviewing people I've already met, but I'm starting to expand past
          > that, so I'm looking for the best way to contact people to request an
          > interview.
          >
          > I just sent off a request that looks vaguely like this:
          >
          > > Dear XXX:
          > >
          > > I would like to interview for my podcast, The Skeptical Viewer. We are a
          > podcast that focuses on how the paranormal is portrayed in the media. Are
          > you interested?
          > >
          > > You can find our podcast here:
          > http://www.skepticalviewer.com/category/podcasts/
          > >

          > It struck me as too brief, but I couldn't think of anything else to add.
          > What else should I have said?

        • Paula Berinstein
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 28, 2010
            Stephen,

            Steve Riekeberg has offered very good advice. I would add that it's worth flattering the prospective guest. Not in an insincere way, of course. But letting them know how much you appreciate them--and meaning it--can help persuade.

            Paula

            Paula Berinstein
            The Writing Show
            Information and inspiration for writers