Re: [podcasters] that phone interview question again

  • Calvin Powers
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12, 2010
      On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

> [...]

      Yep. But the conference call service is very easy to set up and run. And I
      pull out the choice sound bites and re-record my questions locally so in
      the podcast my side doesn't sound like a phone call.

      But as I discovered last night, even conference call services can have
      problems.

      As I mentioned in another post. Total Recorder + Skype Out is looking pretty
      good right now. Of course I've only had Skype for a few days and haven't
      yet caught it on a bad day.

      Calvin

    • Richard Amirault
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 16, 2010
        From: "madpoet_tarsis"

        > That idea of using the phone's headphone jack is a great idea. I'm sure I
        > could get that working with my iPhone, but I just never thought of it.
        > Elegant solution. Thanks!

        I doubt any phones have a "headphone jack" these days. They are likely
        "headset jacks" with both the speaker and mic connections.

        Richard Amirault
        Boston, MA, USA
        http://n1jdu.org
        http://bostonfandom.org
      • David Grizzly Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 25, 2010
          I've made heavy, and quite successful, use of Callburner to record Skype
          calls. I added Skype Out and that made it possible to call into my BTR
          shows via Skye, and Skype In for the occasional interview with a non-Skype
          person (rare for me).

          It was 11 Feb 2010, when Calvin Powers commented:

          > Howdy,
          >
          > I have been a happy and enthusiastic fan of talkshoe.com as a great way to
          > conduct live phone interviews with guests. One of the reasons I like
          > talkshoe so much is that they give you the chance to record phone
          > interviews at much higher bit rates than most conference call services. So
          > while the recording quality is not great it's better than most phone
          > interviews.
          >
          > But tonight I had a scheduled interview and was not able to get into the
          > system. Constant busy signal. Of course, there is no human being I can call
          > for help. I did leave a phone mail on their system outage phone number. But
          > it's too late now. I've already cancelled the interview and now have an
          > irritated guest to deal with.
          >
          > So back to the drawing board. What do folks recommend for recording phone
          > interviews? I found this page on transom.org which seems to do a great job
          > at describing all the hardware based solutions. But honestly, I'd rather
          > have a conference call service that we can all dial into.
          >
          > Anyway, I'd like to hear what other people are doing for recording phone
          > interviews.
          >
          > Calvin Powers
          > www.taprootradio.com
          > the taproot music feed