Re: [podcasters] that phone interview question again

  • Calvin Powers
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12, 2010
      Hey Dave,

      This morning I was able to get Skype 4.1.0 and Total Recorder 8.0 to work
      together fairly easily. (Be sure to read the guide on which drivers to
      install during Total Recorder installation). Total Recorder had a set up
      wizard that set itself up for VOIP as I requested and it all worked fine as
      far as I can tell.I haven't done any official interviews yet. But I did some
      kick the tires testing using Skype Out to another phone and I'm very happy
      with the results.

      I particularly like Total Recorder's ability to separate out the two sides
      of the conversation into a left channel/right channel. This is very helpful
      because I like to isolate the interviewee's responses and re-record my
      questions. By separating the call into left and right channels, I believe
      I'll be able to remove all traces of my part of the conversation on the
      phone.

      I realize that Skype can be hit or miss in terms of call quality. But so far
      so good.

      I'll look into the cord option too.

      Calvin
      www.taprootradio.com
      Taproot Music Feed Podcast

      On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 6:50 AM, David Jackson <jammindave@...> wrote:

      > What type of phone do you have? I have a droid (with a headphone out jack).
      > I got a cord at radio shack and went from my phone out to a channel on my
      > board (a few connectors to go 1/8" to 1/4") and now I can add bass and
      > trele
      > to the phone and control the volume with my mixer. I just talk into the
      > phone and my microphone. The output of the mixer goes into the computer, or
      > in my case a Zune H4.
      >
      > The other alternative is Skype out where you can call people's phones. I
      > still get their phone number (as Skype can get weird too) you might have
      > some "can you say that again - skype cut out moments).
      >
      > Dave Jackson
      > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
      > www.twitter.com/learntopodcast

    • Calvin Powers
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 12, 2010
        On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

> [...]

        Yep. But the conference call service is very easy to set up and run. And I
        pull out the choice sound bites and re-record my questions locally so in
        the podcast my side doesn't sound like a phone call.

        But as I discovered last night, even conference call services can have
        problems.

        As I mentioned in another post. Total Recorder + Skype Out is looking pretty
        good right now. Of course I've only had Skype for a few days and haven't
        yet caught it on a bad day.

        Calvin

      • Richard Amirault
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 16, 2010
          From: "madpoet_tarsis"

          > That idea of using the phone's headphone jack is a great idea. I'm sure I
          > could get that working with my iPhone, but I just never thought of it.
          > Elegant solution. Thanks!

          I doubt any phones have a "headphone jack" these days. They are likely
          "headset jacks" with both the speaker and mic connections.

          Richard Amirault
          Boston, MA, USA
          http://n1jdu.org
          http://bostonfandom.org
        • David Grizzly Smith
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 25, 2010
            I've made heavy, and quite successful, use of Callburner to record Skype
            calls. I added Skype Out and that made it possible to call into my BTR
            shows via Skye, and Skype In for the occasional interview with a non-Skype
            person (rare for me).

            It was 11 Feb 2010, when Calvin Powers commented:

            > Howdy,
            >
            > I have been a happy and enthusiastic fan of talkshoe.com as a great way to
            > conduct live phone interviews with guests. One of the reasons I like
            > talkshoe so much is that they give you the chance to record phone
            > interviews at much higher bit rates than most conference call services. So
            > while the recording quality is not great it's better than most phone
            > interviews.
            >
            > But tonight I had a scheduled interview and was not able to get into the
            > system. Constant busy signal. Of course, there is no human being I can call
            > for help. I did leave a phone mail on their system outage phone number. But
            > it's too late now. I've already cancelled the interview and now have an
            > irritated guest to deal with.
            >
            > So back to the drawing board. What do folks recommend for recording phone
            > interviews? I found this page on transom.org which seems to do a great job
            > at describing all the hardware based solutions. But honestly, I'd rather
            > have a conference call service that we can all dial into.
            >
            > Anyway, I'd like to hear what other people are doing for recording phone
            > interviews.
            >
            > Calvin Powers
            > www.taprootradio.com
            > the taproot music feed