that phone interview question again

  • Calvin Powers
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 11, 2010
      Howdy,

      I have been a happy and enthusiastic fan of talkshoe.com as a great way to
      conduct live phone interviews with guests. One of the reasons I like
      talkshoe so much is that they give you the chance to record phone interviews
      at much higher bit rates than most conference call services. So while the
      recording quality is not great it's better than most phone interviews.

      But tonight I had a scheduled interview and was not able to get into the
      system. Constant busy signal. Of course, there is no human being I can call
      for help. I did leave a phone mail on their system outage phone number. But
      it's too late now. I've already cancelled the interview and now have an
      irritated guest to deal with.

      So back to the drawing board. What do folks recommend for recording phone
      interviews? I found this page on transom.org which seems to do a great job
      at describing all the hardware based solutions. But honestly, I'd rather
      have a conference call service that we can all dial into.

      Anyway, I'd like to hear what other people are doing for recording phone
      interviews.

      Calvin Powers
      www.taprootradio.com
      the taproot music feed podcast<http://www.taprootradio.com/search/label/podcast>

    • David Jackson
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 12, 2010
        What type of phone do you have? I have a droid (with a headphone out jack).
        I got a cord at radio shack and went from my phone out to a channel on my
        board (a few connectors to go 1/8" to 1/4") and now I can add bass and trele
        to the phone and control the volume with my mixer. I just talk into the
        phone and my microphone. The output of the mixer goes into the computer, or
        in my case a Zune H4.

        The other alternative is Skype out where you can call people's phones. I
        still get their phone number (as Skype can get weird too) you might have
        some "can you say that again - skype cut out moments).

        Dave Jackson
        www.schoolofpodcasting.com
        www.twitter.com/learntopodcast

        On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 9:21 PM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

        > Howdy,
        >
        > I have been a happy and enthusiastic fan of talkshoe.com as a great way to
        > conduct live phone interviews with guests. One of the reasons I like
        > talkshoe so much is that they give you the chance to record phone
        > interviews
        > at much higher bit rates than most conference call services. So while the
        > recording quality is not great it's better than most phone interviews.
        >
        > But tonight I had a scheduled interview and was not able to get into the
        > system. Constant busy signal. Of course, there is no human being I can call
        > for help. I did leave a phone mail on their system outage phone number. But
        > it's too late now. I've already cancelled the interview and now have an
        > irritated guest to deal with.
        >
        > So back to the drawing board. What do folks recommend for recording phone
        > interviews? I found this page on transom.org which seems to do a great job
        > at describing all the hardware based solutions. But honestly, I'd rather
        > have a conference call service that we can all dial into.
        >
        > Anyway, I'd like to hear what other people are doing for recording phone
        > interviews.
        >
        > Calvin Powers
        > www.taprootradio.com
        > the taproot music feed podcast<
        > http://www.taprootradio.com/search/label/podcast>

        Dave Jackson

      • Richard Amirault
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 12, 2010
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 12, 2010
            I had mostly good luck using Skype as long as you limit the number of
            connections to just 2 or 3. The quality can often be very good.
            However, "your mileage may vary". :)

            I've also used Freeconferencecall.com and it's been very reliable with
            good call quality.

            Good luck,

            Kevin

            -----

            Fan of Science Fiction or Fantasy?
            Then you might enjoy listening to these award winning podcasts...

            The Seeker Cast (Legend of the Seeker)
            http://www.theseekercast.com

            Tuning In To Scifi TV
            http://www.tuningintoscifitv.com

            The Signal (Firefly)
            http://www.serenityfirefly.com

            The ScapeCast (Farscape)
            http://www.scapecast.org
          • madpoet_tarsis
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 12, 2010
              That idea of using the phone's headphone jack is a great idea. I'm sure I could get that working with my iPhone, but I just never thought of it. Elegant solution. Thanks!

              - Zach Ricks
              www.geeksurvivalguide.org
              www.madpoetfiles.com

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, David Jackson <jammindave@...> wrote:

              > What type of phone do you have? I have a droid (with a headphone out jack).
              > I got a cord at radio shack and went from my phone out to a channel on my
              > board (a few connectors to go 1/8" to 1/4") and now I can add bass and trele
              > to the phone and control the volume with my mixer. I just talk into the
              > phone and my microphone. The output of the mixer goes into the computer, or
              > in my case a Zune H4.
              >
              > The other alternative is Skype out where you can call people's phones. I
              > still get their phone number (as Skype can get weird too) you might have
              > some "can you say that again - skype cut out moments).
              >
              > Dave Jackson
              > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
              > www.twitter.com/learntopodcast
              >

              > --
              > Dave Jackson

            • Calvin Powers
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 12, 2010
                Hey Dave,

                This morning I was able to get Skype 4.1.0 and Total Recorder 8.0 to work
                together fairly easily. (Be sure to read the guide on which drivers to
                install during Total Recorder installation). Total Recorder had a set up
                wizard that set itself up for VOIP as I requested and it all worked fine as
                far as I can tell.I haven't done any official interviews yet. But I did some
                kick the tires testing using Skype Out to another phone and I'm very happy
                with the results.

                I particularly like Total Recorder's ability to separate out the two sides
                of the conversation into a left channel/right channel. This is very helpful
                because I like to isolate the interviewee's responses and re-record my
                questions. By separating the call into left and right channels, I believe
                I'll be able to remove all traces of my part of the conversation on the
                phone.

                I realize that Skype can be hit or miss in terms of call quality. But so far
                so good.

                I'll look into the cord option too.

                Calvin
                www.taprootradio.com
                Taproot Music Feed Podcast

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 12, 2010
                  On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

> [...]

                  Yep. But the conference call service is very easy to set up and run. And I
                  pull out the choice sound bites and re-record my questions locally so in
                  the podcast my side doesn't sound like a phone call.

                  But as I discovered last night, even conference call services can have
                  problems.

                  As I mentioned in another post. Total Recorder + Skype Out is looking pretty
                  good right now. Of course I've only had Skype for a few days and haven't
                  yet caught it on a bad day.

                  Calvin

                • Richard Amirault
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 16, 2010
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 25, 2010
                      I've made heavy, and quite successful, use of Callburner to record Skype
                      calls. I added Skype Out and that made it possible to call into my BTR
                      shows via Skye, and Skype In for the occasional interview with a non-Skype
                      person (rare for me).

                      It was 11 Feb 2010, when Calvin Powers commented:

                      > Howdy,
                      >
                      > I have been a happy and enthusiastic fan of talkshoe.com as a great way to
                      > conduct live phone interviews with guests. One of the reasons I like
                      > talkshoe so much is that they give you the chance to record phone
                      > interviews at much higher bit rates than most conference call services. So
                      > while the recording quality is not great it's better than most phone
                      > interviews.
                      >
                      > But tonight I had a scheduled interview and was not able to get into the
                      > system. Constant busy signal. Of course, there is no human being I can call
                      > for help. I did leave a phone mail on their system outage phone number. But
                      > it's too late now. I've already cancelled the interview and now have an
                      > irritated guest to deal with.
                      >
                      > So back to the drawing board. What do folks recommend for recording phone
                      > interviews? I found this page on transom.org which seems to do a great job
                      > at describing all the hardware based solutions. But honestly, I'd rather
                      > have a conference call service that we can all dial into.
                      >
                      > Anyway, I'd like to hear what other people are doing for recording phone
                      > interviews.
                      >
                      > Calvin Powers
                      > www.taprootradio.com
                      > the taproot music feed