Re: [podcasters] Hail PR-20

  • Cliff Ravenscraft
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 27, 2010
      Oh My Goodness! I COULD NOT AGREE MORE!!!!! The Heil PR-40 is the dream
      come true of any podcaster!

      Want to hear the Heil PR-40 compared to a few different microphones?

      Check out this episode:
      http://podcastanswerman.com/heilpr40/

      On the note about the Heil PR-20... It's a great for vocal lead singers and
      also works great for use as a snare drum microphone. But it will not
      perform as well as the Heil-PR40.

      If you are not willing to pay the full amount of the Heil PR-40, but still
      want a good dynamic mic, then I would suggest the Rode PROCASTER mic. (Not
      to be confused with the Rhode PODcaster - It's USB Equivalent).

      Seriously though.. If you have enough money for the PR-20 but not for the
      PR-40.. Get yourself a good SOCK and put the money in there. Then go sell
      some stuff on Craig's List and then do yourself a favor and go Heil PR-40.
      I promise you that you will come back and thank Martin, Calvin, and myself
      for telling you to go PR-40!!!

      Many Blessings!

      Cliff

      <http://PodcastAnswerMan.com>
      **

    • danhughes@juno.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 27, 2010
        First, a comment from one of the music boards:

        "I think the PR40 can be more hit or miss on vocals due to it's presence peak. On the right voice it sounds great...especially really deep resonant basses. But on a thinner, more nasally voice it's not so hot. In that case the PR30 would probably work better."

        Second, I read somewhere (can't find it now) that the PR30 was more likely to pick up hand noises if you use it as a handheld. This is no problem for me because I leave it on the mic stand.

        And third, another sound test of the PR20, 30, and 40:

        http://cdn1.libsyn.com/mb/wtfshow-070426-Heil_PR20_PR30_and_PR40_Test.mp3?nvb=20100127152205&nva=20100128153205&t=040dbd369b3707162875f
        Here's a shortened URL of the same thing if the above line broke in your email system:

        http://tinyurl.com/yjjjz8d

        I have a PR30, and you can hear it here:

        http://thetreasurecorner.com (the two latest shows, #036 and #037, were recorded with the PR-30. No processing; just mic into mixer).

        ---Dan, http://danhughes.net