Hail PR-20

  • Ben Straw
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 26, 2010
      Does any one own a Hail PR-20? If so how do you like the sound?

      Benjamin Straw
      Ceo Nebben Media
      Ben's Tech Show - http://BensTechShow.com
      How 2 Podcast - http://How2Podcast.com
      Mac Tip Podcast - http://MacTipPodcast.com
      P: 1-304-449-GEEK
      Skype: n3bb3n
      Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

    • Martin McKeay
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 26, 2010
        If you mean a Heil PR-20, while I haven't used it, I've been using a Heil
        PR-40 for several years for my podcast. I love my PR-40 and pity the fool
        who tries to take it because I will be prying out of their cold, dead
        hands. I record in my home office with several computers running in the
        background and the PR-40 is perfect because it is very proximity sensitive
        and simply doesn't pick up on the majority of background noise. It helps
        pull a little more bass out of my voice as well, which I appreciate.

        I know this doesn't answer you questions about the PR-20, but if the PR-40
        is any example of what to expect, I'd say go for it. Heil has a great
        reputation and their mic's are definitely of professional quality.

        Martin

        Martin McKeay
        CISSP, GSNA, QSA
        Network Security Blog and Podcast
        http://www.mckeay.net
        http://netsecpodcast.com
        Twitter: @McKeay
        Cell: 707-495-7926

        On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Ben Straw <Nebula1183@...> wrote:

        > Does any one own a Hail PR-20? If so how do you like the sound?
        >
        > Benjamin Straw
        > Ceo Nebben Media
        > Ben's Tech Show - http://BensTechShow.com
        > How 2 Podcast - http://How2Podcast.com
        > Mac Tip Podcast - http://MacTipPodcast.com
        > P: 1-304-449-GEEK
        > Skype: n3bb3n
        > Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

      • Calvin Powers
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 26, 2010
          I'm with Martin. My Heil PR-40 was the best investment in podcasting I've
          ever made. Expensive but I don't regret a penny of it.
          I do my voice recording in my upstairs "bonus room" which is a huge box with
          high ceilings and it's just about the boomiest place you can imagine. All my
          other microphones had problems picking up the room echo. But I'm amazed at
          how well the Heil PR-40 does at picking up my voice while somehow ignoring
          the room echo. Even when the central heat/air is on is some how manages to
          ignore virtually all of the noise from that.

          If you want to hear an example, check out the talk sets in episode 7 of my
          taproot music feed
          podcast<http://www.taprootradio.com/2010/01/taproot-music-feed-7-beth-mckee-joe.html>.
          My talk sets aren't perfect, but considering where they were recorded, it's
          damned amazing. (note: the artist sound clips are recorded phone
          conversations so they don't count). Just my voice was recorded through the
          Heil PR-40.

          Calvin Powers
          www.taprootradio.com

          On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Martin McKeay <Martin@...> wrote:

          > If you mean a Heil PR-20, while I haven't used it, I've been using a Heil
          > PR-40 for several years for my podcast. I love my PR-40 and pity the fool
          > who tries to take it because I will be prying out of their cold, dead
          > hands. I record in my home office with several computers running in the
          > background and the PR-40 is perfect because it is very proximity sensitive
          > and simply doesn't pick up on the majority of background noise. It helps
          > pull a little more bass out of my voice as well, which I appreciate.
          >
          > I know this doesn't answer you questions about the PR-20, but if the PR-40
          > is any example of what to expect, I'd say go for it. Heil has a great
          > reputation and their mic's are definitely of professional quality.
          >
          > Martin
          >
          > Martin McKeay
          > CISSP, GSNA, QSA
          > Network Security Blog and Podcast
          > http://www.mckeay.net
          > http://netsecpodcast.com
          > Twitter: @McKeay
          > Cell: 707-495-7926
          >

          > On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Ben Straw <Nebula1183@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Does any one own a Hail PR-20? If so how do you like the sound?
          > >
          > > Benjamin Straw
          > > Ceo Nebben Media
          > > Ben's Tech Show - http://BensTechShow.com
          > > How 2 Podcast - http://How2Podcast.com
          > > Mac Tip Podcast - http://MacTipPodcast.com
          > > P: 1-304-449-GEEK
          > > Skype: n3bb3n
          > > Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

        • Cliff Ravenscraft
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27, 2010
            Oh My Goodness! I COULD NOT AGREE MORE!!!!! The Heil PR-40 is the dream
            come true of any podcaster!

            Want to hear the Heil PR-40 compared to a few different microphones?

            Check out this episode:
            http://podcastanswerman.com/heilpr40/

            On the note about the Heil PR-20... It's a great for vocal lead singers and
            also works great for use as a snare drum microphone. But it will not
            perform as well as the Heil-PR40.

            If you are not willing to pay the full amount of the Heil PR-40, but still
            want a good dynamic mic, then I would suggest the Rode PROCASTER mic. (Not
            to be confused with the Rhode PODcaster - It's USB Equivalent).

            Seriously though.. If you have enough money for the PR-20 but not for the
            PR-40.. Get yourself a good SOCK and put the money in there. Then go sell
            some stuff on Craig's List and then do yourself a favor and go Heil PR-40.
            I promise you that you will come back and thank Martin, Calvin, and myself
            for telling you to go PR-40!!!

            Many Blessings!

            Cliff

            <http://PodcastAnswerMan.com>
            **

          • danhughes@juno.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 27, 2010
              First, a comment from one of the music boards:

              "I think the PR40 can be more hit or miss on vocals due to it's presence peak. On the right voice it sounds great...especially really deep resonant basses. But on a thinner, more nasally voice it's not so hot. In that case the PR30 would probably work better."

              Second, I read somewhere (can't find it now) that the PR30 was more likely to pick up hand noises if you use it as a handheld. This is no problem for me because I leave it on the mic stand.

              And third, another sound test of the PR20, 30, and 40:

              http://cdn1.libsyn.com/mb/wtfshow-070426-Heil_PR20_PR30_and_PR40_Test.mp3?nvb=20100127152205&nva=20100128153205&t=040dbd369b3707162875f
              Here's a shortened URL of the same thing if the above line broke in your email system:

              http://tinyurl.com/yjjjz8d

              I have a PR30, and you can hear it here:

              http://thetreasurecorner.com (the two latest shows, #036 and #037, were recorded with the PR-30. No processing; just mic into mixer).

              ---Dan, http://danhughes.net