Re: Suggestions on Selling Audio/Video Content?

  • ttgdmt
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 26, 2010
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "misterj" <peter@...> wrote:

      > Any suggestions as to selling educational digital content? I'm really just starting to look at this, so interested in business models, hosting/distribution services, directories, formats, the whole works.

      At Dr. Floyd - www.doctorfloyd.com - we do two things...

      We put our episodes on CD, send them to CDBaby.com who gets them on iTunes where they are sold just like other Albums.

      and

      We use aMember - www.amamber.com - and Powerpress for Wordpress - http://www.blubrry.com/powerpress/ - to create a 'membership' section of our website where someone has to be a member to get the content (also lets us set up password protected feeds that work in iTunes. You COULD use this model to charge for individual episodes. Might be a bit clunky, but it could work.
    • Ben Straw
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 26, 2010
        Does any one own a Hail PR-20? If so how do you like the sound?

        Benjamin Straw
        Ceo Nebben Media
        Ben's Tech Show - http://BensTechShow.com
        How 2 Podcast - http://How2Podcast.com
        Mac Tip Podcast - http://MacTipPodcast.com
        P: 1-304-449-GEEK
        Skype: n3bb3n
        Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

      • Martin McKeay
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 26, 2010
          If you mean a Heil PR-20, while I haven't used it, I've been using a Heil
          PR-40 for several years for my podcast. I love my PR-40 and pity the fool
          who tries to take it because I will be prying out of their cold, dead
          hands. I record in my home office with several computers running in the
          background and the PR-40 is perfect because it is very proximity sensitive
          and simply doesn't pick up on the majority of background noise. It helps
          pull a little more bass out of my voice as well, which I appreciate.

          I know this doesn't answer you questions about the PR-20, but if the PR-40
          is any example of what to expect, I'd say go for it. Heil has a great
          reputation and their mic's are definitely of professional quality.

          Martin

          Martin McKeay
          CISSP, GSNA, QSA
          Network Security Blog and Podcast
          http://www.mckeay.net
          http://netsecpodcast.com
          Twitter: @McKeay
          Cell: 707-495-7926

          On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Ben Straw <Nebula1183@...> wrote:

          > Does any one own a Hail PR-20? If so how do you like the sound?
          >
          > Benjamin Straw
          > Ceo Nebben Media
          > Ben's Tech Show - http://BensTechShow.com
          > How 2 Podcast - http://How2Podcast.com
          > Mac Tip Podcast - http://MacTipPodcast.com
          > P: 1-304-449-GEEK
          > Skype: n3bb3n
          > Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

        • Calvin Powers
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 26, 2010
            I'm with Martin. My Heil PR-40 was the best investment in podcasting I've
            ever made. Expensive but I don't regret a penny of it.
            I do my voice recording in my upstairs "bonus room" which is a huge box with
            high ceilings and it's just about the boomiest place you can imagine. All my
            other microphones had problems picking up the room echo. But I'm amazed at
            how well the Heil PR-40 does at picking up my voice while somehow ignoring
            the room echo. Even when the central heat/air is on is some how manages to
            ignore virtually all of the noise from that.

            If you want to hear an example, check out the talk sets in episode 7 of my
            taproot music feed
            podcast<http://www.taprootradio.com/2010/01/taproot-music-feed-7-beth-mckee-joe.html>.
            My talk sets aren't perfect, but considering where they were recorded, it's
            damned amazing. (note: the artist sound clips are recorded phone
            conversations so they don't count). Just my voice was recorded through the
            Heil PR-40.

            Calvin Powers
            www.taprootradio.com

            On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Martin McKeay <Martin@...> wrote:

            > If you mean a Heil PR-20, while I haven't used it, I've been using a Heil
            > PR-40 for several years for my podcast. I love my PR-40 and pity the fool
            > who tries to take it because I will be prying out of their cold, dead
            > hands. I record in my home office with several computers running in the
            > background and the PR-40 is perfect because it is very proximity sensitive
            > and simply doesn't pick up on the majority of background noise. It helps
            > pull a little more bass out of my voice as well, which I appreciate.
            >
            > I know this doesn't answer you questions about the PR-20, but if the PR-40
            > is any example of what to expect, I'd say go for it. Heil has a great
            > reputation and their mic's are definitely of professional quality.
            >
            > Martin
            >
            > Martin McKeay
            > CISSP, GSNA, QSA
            > Network Security Blog and Podcast
            > http://www.mckeay.net
            > http://netsecpodcast.com
            > Twitter: @McKeay
            > Cell: 707-495-7926
            >

            > On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Ben Straw <Nebula1183@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Does any one own a Hail PR-20? If so how do you like the sound?
            > >
            > > Benjamin Straw
            > > Ceo Nebben Media
            > > Ben's Tech Show - http://BensTechShow.com
            > > How 2 Podcast - http://How2Podcast.com
            > > Mac Tip Podcast - http://MacTipPodcast.com
            > > P: 1-304-449-GEEK
            > > Skype: n3bb3n
            > > Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

          • Cliff Ravenscraft
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 27, 2010
              Oh My Goodness! I COULD NOT AGREE MORE!!!!! The Heil PR-40 is the dream
              come true of any podcaster!

              Want to hear the Heil PR-40 compared to a few different microphones?

              Check out this episode:
              http://podcastanswerman.com/heilpr40/

              On the note about the Heil PR-20... It's a great for vocal lead singers and
              also works great for use as a snare drum microphone. But it will not
              perform as well as the Heil-PR40.

              If you are not willing to pay the full amount of the Heil PR-40, but still
              want a good dynamic mic, then I would suggest the Rode PROCASTER mic. (Not
              to be confused with the Rhode PODcaster - It's USB Equivalent).

              Seriously though.. If you have enough money for the PR-20 but not for the
              PR-40.. Get yourself a good SOCK and put the money in there. Then go sell
              some stuff on Craig's List and then do yourself a favor and go Heil PR-40.
              I promise you that you will come back and thank Martin, Calvin, and myself
              for telling you to go PR-40!!!

              Many Blessings!

              Cliff

              <http://PodcastAnswerMan.com>
              **

            • danhughes@juno.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 27, 2010
                First, a comment from one of the music boards:

                "I think the PR40 can be more hit or miss on vocals due to it's presence peak. On the right voice it sounds great...especially really deep resonant basses. But on a thinner, more nasally voice it's not so hot. In that case the PR30 would probably work better."

                Second, I read somewhere (can't find it now) that the PR30 was more likely to pick up hand noises if you use it as a handheld. This is no problem for me because I leave it on the mic stand.

                And third, another sound test of the PR20, 30, and 40:

                http://cdn1.libsyn.com/mb/wtfshow-070426-Heil_PR20_PR30_and_PR40_Test.mp3?nvb=20100127152205&nva=20100128153205&t=040dbd369b3707162875f
                Here's a shortened URL of the same thing if the above line broke in your email system:

                http://tinyurl.com/yjjjz8d

                I have a PR30, and you can hear it here:

                http://thetreasurecorner.com (the two latest shows, #036 and #037, were recorded with the PR-30. No processing; just mic into mixer).

                ---Dan, http://danhughes.net