Re: [podcasters] Re: Need Advice: Multi-Location Talkshoe Hardware

  • Erk Pod
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
      I love what I call button pushing software and making promos. There is
      nothing better than being able to do that live and to do it well to save on
      editing time. A bit off this particular track, I prefer to do my music show
      in real time. When I did a 50th episode special recently with a lot of
      editing, that took so much longer.

      You'll find that a lot of us here aren't audio engineers either but a lot of
      what we do know is by trial & error, using the resources here and on the
      interweb as well as some podcasting books such as Podcasting for Dummies &
      Expert Podcasting Practices for Dummies *ding*.

      And this sort of discussion is a reason I love podcasting so much. There is
      not one single way of doing things.

      Erk

      --
      Erk, Sydney (Australia)
      Channel Erk podcasts

      Host & Producer: Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo & Blast From The Past

      Producer: Judy's Blast FM.

      Find all 5 podcasts on Channel Erk. There is a podcast for everyone!

      http://www.channelerk.com
      erkpod@...

      Skype: erkpod
      Twitter: @erkpod (personal)
      Voicemail: 02 8003 6905 (Australia)
      Voicemail: 661-524-5ERK (US)

      A member of the Association of Music Podcasting (AMP)
      http://musicpodcasting.org

    • C. Hatton Humphrey
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010

        > I love what I call button pushing software and making promos. There is
        > nothing better than being able to do that live and to do it well to save on
        > editing time.

        Ahh... gotcha .. I think.

        Actually, I will confess that my "real job" title is technologist - which
        where I work translates to, "he who handles anything with a plug." I'm a
        programmer (VB.NET, ColdFusion & SQL), a hardware tech, network
        administrator and contractor-wrangler.

        As far as podcasting as a whole goes, I've only done one other project and
        that was where I killed myself editing. Now there are few times when I
        actually go in and edit and they all focus around catastrophic problems
        during recording.

        And this sort of discussion is a reason I love podcasting so much. There is
        > not one single way of doing things.

        So long as we don't start extolling the virtues of various Linux
        distributions, I'm good with that!

        Hatton

      • Shawn Thorpe
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
          I don't see any reason why you should stop using Talkshoe if it's worked
          well for you so far. As far as your technical requirements go, you may be
          able to work it out by using an external USB/Firewire mixer with an Aux Send
          control (like the Alesis MultiMix series of mixers). The setup would look
          something look this:
          1.) Host uses standard audio mic (not a USB mic) connected to the mixer.
          2.) Co-host VOIP's into host's computer. His audio (along with the audio
          from pre-recorded clips, etc.) is sent from the built-in audio output of the
          host's computer into a channel on the external mixer.
          3.) Talkshoe is set to use the external mixer as its "input device."
          4.) Create a mix-minus signal using the Aux Sends of the mixer, zeroing out
          the Send of the channel that the co-host is on and connect that to the
          built-in audio input of the host's computer. Send that mix-minus signal to
          the host's VOIP software so he can communicate with the co-host and not have
          to worry about feedback issues. NOTE: This setup will likely eliminate the
          co-host's ability to hear the pre-recorded audio, if that matters.

          This should work, but it's only theoretical. It'd really depend on how well
          Talkshoe plays with the external mixer. For example, I have a Tascam FW-1884
          Firewire mixer. It will work with Skype but Skype will only recognize
          channel one on the mixer. If the same were to hold true with Talkshoe, this
          setup wouldn't work. (Also, to clarify - I'm using a Mac.) So, what I'm
          saying is, I don't have an exact answer for you. But hopefully, this gives
          you some ideas to work with.

          On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:00 AM, C. Hatton Humphrey <chumphrey@...>wrote:

          > I should have prefaced the variety of things that I'm using Talkshoe for -
          > it helps to set all the facts out ahead of time and I apologize for not
          > doing so.
          >
          > We make use of Talkshoe for a few reasons:
          > * No need to handle the recording aspect of things. This was the biggest
          > asset for us as when we started the show my co-host did not have a computer
          > at his disposal during recordings and mine was unreliable. The computer
          > issues have since been resolved but we don't want to make too many changes.
          >
          > * Coming in a close second is the reduced (but not removed) need to edit.
          > Time is not something that I have an overabundance of and my past
          > podcasting endeavors have always included a volume of editing that I never
          > seemed to have time to do. By making the decision *not* to edit unless
          > specifically required, I ensure that we actually have a show that comes out
          > weekly.
          >
          > * The call, as it is being recorded, can be streamed live into SecondLife,
          > where we have an audience that interacts with the show. BTR does NOT allow
          > this... I've tried ;)
          >
          > * We can take calls during the recording of the show without pre-arranging
          > them. Most of the time this is a good thing.
          >
          > So the question really is what equipment can I use to make the show sound
          > good on TalkShoe with the assumption that both my co-host and I are able to
          > VoIP in? I still need to be able to play audio clips into the recording,
          > which could be done from another computer (and another VoIP connection) if
          > needed. Removing the "live recording" aspects - the text chat, audio stream
          > and call-in capabilities - would be counterproductive.
          >
          > Thanks again for the comments!
          >
          > Hatton

          -Shawn Thorpe
          http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
          http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
          http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!

        • C. Hatton Humphrey
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 21, 2010
            > This should work, but it's only theoretical. It'd really depend on how well
            > Talkshoe plays with the external mixer. For example, I have a Tascam FW-1884
            > Firewire mixer. It will work with Skype but Skype will only recognize
            > channel one on the mixer. If the same were to hold true with Talkshoe, this
            > setup wouldn't work. (Also, to clarify - I'm using a Mac.) So, what I'm
            > saying is, I don't have an exact answer for you. But hopefully, this gives
            > you some ideas to work with.

            That does, thanks! I knew it wasn't "pushbutton simple" but it does
            give me a place to start looking! The good thing is that I'm already
            using a directed input to the show using X-Lite to dial in.

            To paraphrase Erk, there seem to be as many different solutions as
            there are wire colors. Figuring out which one will work best (and
            simplest) is going to be the fun challenge!

            Hatton