Re: [podcasters] Re: Need Advice: Multi-Location Talkshoe Hardware

  • Erk Pod
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
      Button pushing software - woo hoo! LOL

      Until recently, I was using a program called Soundbyte for playing things
      like promos, intros/outros etc. There was a free version but to be able to
      save etc, you had to buy it (reasonably cheaply).

      Anyhoo, I recently met up with another podcaster who introduced me to Pod
      Producer http://www.podproducer.net (it is free, too!) and while it is only
      very early days for me, I like it. You can drag and drop files better using
      PP than SB in my opinion. Also with PP, you can also record and save the
      file through the program although I haven't done a lot on that side of the
      program yet.

      A multi-channel mixer will give you a lot more control over your audio. As
      Mike S said a moment ago, I used to do a live show. My mixer has separate
      channels for each person (I usually now run with 2 people in the studio but
      can run up to 6 with each person having their own channel) as well as a
      separate channel for the computer and a separate channel for Skype. All of
      these channels have on/off switches so I can control them as needed. Not all
      mixers can do this and it might be overkill for your situation.

      As for editing, it is up to you how much you edit once you have your levels
      etc sorted (I know that isn't easy, especially if you have more than one
      person). But editing isn't a big scary monster that will eat you if you
      leave the bus (unless you happen to be wearing a red shirt, of course).
      During my interviews with other podcasters, there are a range of techniques
      and editing styles depending on preferences and personal taste. Of course,
      the better that the audio going in is going in (both from a sound point of
      view and a content point of view), the less editing you will have to do (if
      you choose to, of course). I know of podcasters that will spend so much time
      editing that they spend 1 minute of editing time for each minute they talk.
      Others don't and what works for you is what works for you. I used to be
      really anal about editing in the beginning (when I was only doing talk) and
      I used to cut out every single um, er, or every bit of dead air that there
      was. Doing a live show helped me get out of that habit LOL.

      Ultimately your podcast is your podcast but there is more than one way to
      cook a chicken.

      --
      Erk, Sydney (Australia)
      Channel Erk podcasts

      Host & Producer: Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo & Blast From The Past

      Producer: Judy's Blast FM.

      Find all 5 podcasts on Channel Erk. There is a podcast for everyone!

      http://www.channelerk.com
      erkpod@...

      Skype: erkpod
      Twitter: @erkpod (personal)
      Voicemail: 02 8003 6905 (Australia)
      Voicemail: 661-524-5ERK (US)

      A member of the Association of Music Podcasting (AMP)
      http://musicpodcasting.org

    • C. Hatton Humphrey
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010

        > Button pushing software - woo hoo! LOL
        >
        > Must have missed the inside joke there (*shrug*)

        > A multi-channel mixer will give you a lot more control over your audio. As
        > Mike S said a moment ago, I used to do a live show. My mixer has separate
        > channels for each person (I usually now run with 2 people in the studio but
        > can run up to 6 with each person having their own channel) as well as a
        > separate channel for the computer and a separate channel for Skype. All of
        > these channels have on/off switches so I can control them as needed. Not
        > all
        > mixers can do this and it might be overkill for your situation.

        My original thought process was to have my co-host call me on Skype and then
        mix him, myself and the audio clips together using a Firewire or USB mixer
        (I have both available) and then feed that audio in to the TalkShoe call
        over a single VoIP connection.

        What I couldn't wrap my head around was getting the audio from TalkShoe back
        IN so we could hear what callers were saying. Maybe it's as simple as an
        audio cord from the laptop back in to a mixer channel that is fed back to
        myself and my co-host in some way. I have two laptops at my disposal so if
        I needed another audio input one is available.

        I'm going to investigate that PodProducer software to see what I can do with
        it. At the least it might let me condense my side down to a single VoIP
        connection. Not sure though.

        On the editing end of thing - I was actually spending two to three minutes
        editing for every minute of recording. As you say, doing a live show helps
        with that but there are times even now when I still have to edit things (dog
        barks, daughters coming down stairs asking for water, etc).

        While I know the result that I want to have, the one that that I do know is
        that I'm no audio engineer. Thanks again for all the advice and
        suggestions!

        Hatton

      • Erk Pod
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
          I love what I call button pushing software and making promos. There is
          nothing better than being able to do that live and to do it well to save on
          editing time. A bit off this particular track, I prefer to do my music show
          in real time. When I did a 50th episode special recently with a lot of
          editing, that took so much longer.

          You'll find that a lot of us here aren't audio engineers either but a lot of
          what we do know is by trial & error, using the resources here and on the
          interweb as well as some podcasting books such as Podcasting for Dummies &
          Expert Podcasting Practices for Dummies *ding*.

          And this sort of discussion is a reason I love podcasting so much. There is
          not one single way of doing things.

          Erk

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010

            > I love what I call button pushing software and making promos. There is
            > nothing better than being able to do that live and to do it well to save on
            > editing time.

            Ahh... gotcha .. I think.

            Actually, I will confess that my "real job" title is technologist - which
            where I work translates to, "he who handles anything with a plug." I'm a
            programmer (VB.NET, ColdFusion & SQL), a hardware tech, network
            administrator and contractor-wrangler.

            As far as podcasting as a whole goes, I've only done one other project and
            that was where I killed myself editing. Now there are few times when I
            actually go in and edit and they all focus around catastrophic problems
            during recording.

            And this sort of discussion is a reason I love podcasting so much. There is
            > not one single way of doing things.

            So long as we don't start extolling the virtues of various Linux
            distributions, I'm good with that!

            Hatton

          • Shawn Thorpe
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
              I don't see any reason why you should stop using Talkshoe if it's worked
              well for you so far. As far as your technical requirements go, you may be
              able to work it out by using an external USB/Firewire mixer with an Aux Send
              control (like the Alesis MultiMix series of mixers). The setup would look
              something look this:
              1.) Host uses standard audio mic (not a USB mic) connected to the mixer.
              2.) Co-host VOIP's into host's computer. His audio (along with the audio
              from pre-recorded clips, etc.) is sent from the built-in audio output of the
              host's computer into a channel on the external mixer.
              3.) Talkshoe is set to use the external mixer as its "input device."
              4.) Create a mix-minus signal using the Aux Sends of the mixer, zeroing out
              the Send of the channel that the co-host is on and connect that to the
              built-in audio input of the host's computer. Send that mix-minus signal to
              the host's VOIP software so he can communicate with the co-host and not have
              to worry about feedback issues. NOTE: This setup will likely eliminate the
              co-host's ability to hear the pre-recorded audio, if that matters.

              This should work, but it's only theoretical. It'd really depend on how well
              Talkshoe plays with the external mixer. For example, I have a Tascam FW-1884
              Firewire mixer. It will work with Skype but Skype will only recognize
              channel one on the mixer. If the same were to hold true with Talkshoe, this
              setup wouldn't work. (Also, to clarify - I'm using a Mac.) So, what I'm
              saying is, I don't have an exact answer for you. But hopefully, this gives
              you some ideas to work with.

              On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:00 AM, C. Hatton Humphrey <chumphrey@...>wrote:

              > I should have prefaced the variety of things that I'm using Talkshoe for -
              > it helps to set all the facts out ahead of time and I apologize for not
              > doing so.
              >
              > We make use of Talkshoe for a few reasons:
              > * No need to handle the recording aspect of things. This was the biggest
              > asset for us as when we started the show my co-host did not have a computer
              > at his disposal during recordings and mine was unreliable. The computer
              > issues have since been resolved but we don't want to make too many changes.
              >
              > * Coming in a close second is the reduced (but not removed) need to edit.
              > Time is not something that I have an overabundance of and my past
              > podcasting endeavors have always included a volume of editing that I never
              > seemed to have time to do. By making the decision *not* to edit unless
              > specifically required, I ensure that we actually have a show that comes out
              > weekly.
              >
              > * The call, as it is being recorded, can be streamed live into SecondLife,
              > where we have an audience that interacts with the show. BTR does NOT allow
              > this... I've tried ;)
              >
              > * We can take calls during the recording of the show without pre-arranging
              > them. Most of the time this is a good thing.
              >
              > So the question really is what equipment can I use to make the show sound
              > good on TalkShoe with the assumption that both my co-host and I are able to
              > VoIP in? I still need to be able to play audio clips into the recording,
              > which could be done from another computer (and another VoIP connection) if
              > needed. Removing the "live recording" aspects - the text chat, audio stream
              > and call-in capabilities - would be counterproductive.
              >
              > Thanks again for the comments!
              >
              > Hatton

              -Shawn Thorpe
              http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
              http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
              http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!

            • C. Hatton Humphrey
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 21, 2010
                > This should work, but it's only theoretical. It'd really depend on how well
                > Talkshoe plays with the external mixer. For example, I have a Tascam FW-1884
                > Firewire mixer. It will work with Skype but Skype will only recognize
                > channel one on the mixer. If the same were to hold true with Talkshoe, this
                > setup wouldn't work. (Also, to clarify - I'm using a Mac.) So, what I'm
                > saying is, I don't have an exact answer for you. But hopefully, this gives
                > you some ideas to work with.

                That does, thanks! I knew it wasn't "pushbutton simple" but it does
                give me a place to start looking! The good thing is that I'm already
                using a directed input to the show using X-Lite to dial in.

                To paraphrase Erk, there seem to be as many different solutions as
                there are wire colors. Figuring out which one will work best (and
                simplest) is going to be the fun challenge!

                Hatton