Re: Need Advice: Multi-Location Talkshoe Hardware

  • Mike S
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
      Erk right on the Skype front. I'd wouldn't even consider trying to Ring in to Erk Pod Round Table 12, if I had use a Phone. I'd get charged lots to ring half way around the world for a 6 hour show!

      Calling in doesn't require that much hardware.. you can get some good eqiupment for a low price.

      Mike

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Erk Pod <erkpod@...> wrote:

      > Good audio is possible on Talkshoe but it usually isn't by using a cell
      > phone. Another similar service is Blog Talk Radio and that is harder to get
      > good audio out of it.
      >
      > There are other ways to have a chatroom available so don't think that
      > Talkshoe is the only alternative out there. However, many of these mean that
      > you'd be doing your own recording and editing and not what TS gives you. And
      > that isn't a bad thing. If you record and edit yourself, you have so many
      > more options in terms of the sound, hardware & software. You also have more
      > control over your sound if you do it yourself.
      >
      > Skype is a great thing to have, especially considering that Skype to Skype
      > is free. Many people have Skype so they don't need to call a number to call
      > in. A number to call is a nice to have but not a must have.
      >

      > --
      > Erk, Sydney (Australia)
      > Channel Erk podcasts
      >
      > Host & Producer: Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo & Blast From The Past
      >
      > Producer: Judy's Blast FM.
      >
      > Find all 5 podcasts on Channel Erk. There is a podcast for everyone!
      >
      > http://www.channelerk.com
      > erkpod@...
      >
      > Skype: erkpod
      > Twitter: @erkpod (personal)
      > Voicemail: 02 8003 6905 (Australia)
      > Voicemail: 661-524-5ERK (US)
      >
      > A member of the Association of Music Podcasting (AMP)
      > http://musicpodcasting.org

    • C. Hatton Humphrey
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
        I should have prefaced the variety of things that I'm using Talkshoe for -
        it helps to set all the facts out ahead of time and I apologize for not
        doing so.

        We make use of Talkshoe for a few reasons:
        * No need to handle the recording aspect of things. This was the biggest
        asset for us as when we started the show my co-host did not have a computer
        at his disposal during recordings and mine was unreliable. The computer
        issues have since been resolved but we don't want to make too many changes.

        * Coming in a close second is the reduced (but not removed) need to edit.
        Time is not something that I have an overabundance of and my past
        podcasting endeavors have always included a volume of editing that I never
        seemed to have time to do. By making the decision *not* to edit unless
        specifically required, I ensure that we actually have a show that comes out
        weekly.

        * The call, as it is being recorded, can be streamed live into SecondLife,
        where we have an audience that interacts with the show. BTR does NOT allow
        this... I've tried ;)

        * We can take calls during the recording of the show without pre-arranging
        them. Most of the time this is a good thing.

        So the question really is what equipment can I use to make the show sound
        good on TalkShoe with the assumption that both my co-host and I are able to
        VoIP in? I still need to be able to play audio clips into the recording,
        which could be done from another computer (and another VoIP connection) if
        needed. Removing the "live recording" aspects - the text chat, audio stream
        and call-in capabilities - would be counterproductive.

        Thanks again for the comments!

        Hatton

      • Erk Pod
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
          Button pushing software - woo hoo! LOL

          Until recently, I was using a program called Soundbyte for playing things
          like promos, intros/outros etc. There was a free version but to be able to
          save etc, you had to buy it (reasonably cheaply).

          Anyhoo, I recently met up with another podcaster who introduced me to Pod
          Producer http://www.podproducer.net (it is free, too!) and while it is only
          very early days for me, I like it. You can drag and drop files better using
          PP than SB in my opinion. Also with PP, you can also record and save the
          file through the program although I haven't done a lot on that side of the
          program yet.

          A multi-channel mixer will give you a lot more control over your audio. As
          Mike S said a moment ago, I used to do a live show. My mixer has separate
          channels for each person (I usually now run with 2 people in the studio but
          can run up to 6 with each person having their own channel) as well as a
          separate channel for the computer and a separate channel for Skype. All of
          these channels have on/off switches so I can control them as needed. Not all
          mixers can do this and it might be overkill for your situation.

          As for editing, it is up to you how much you edit once you have your levels
          etc sorted (I know that isn't easy, especially if you have more than one
          person). But editing isn't a big scary monster that will eat you if you
          leave the bus (unless you happen to be wearing a red shirt, of course).
          During my interviews with other podcasters, there are a range of techniques
          and editing styles depending on preferences and personal taste. Of course,
          the better that the audio going in is going in (both from a sound point of
          view and a content point of view), the less editing you will have to do (if
          you choose to, of course). I know of podcasters that will spend so much time
          editing that they spend 1 minute of editing time for each minute they talk.
          Others don't and what works for you is what works for you. I used to be
          really anal about editing in the beginning (when I was only doing talk) and
          I used to cut out every single um, er, or every bit of dead air that there
          was. Doing a live show helped me get out of that habit LOL.

          Ultimately your podcast is your podcast but there is more than one way to
          cook a chicken.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010

            > Button pushing software - woo hoo! LOL
            >
            > Must have missed the inside joke there (*shrug*)

            > A multi-channel mixer will give you a lot more control over your audio. As
            > Mike S said a moment ago, I used to do a live show. My mixer has separate
            > channels for each person (I usually now run with 2 people in the studio but
            > can run up to 6 with each person having their own channel) as well as a
            > separate channel for the computer and a separate channel for Skype. All of
            > these channels have on/off switches so I can control them as needed. Not
            > all
            > mixers can do this and it might be overkill for your situation.

            My original thought process was to have my co-host call me on Skype and then
            mix him, myself and the audio clips together using a Firewire or USB mixer
            (I have both available) and then feed that audio in to the TalkShoe call
            over a single VoIP connection.

            What I couldn't wrap my head around was getting the audio from TalkShoe back
            IN so we could hear what callers were saying. Maybe it's as simple as an
            audio cord from the laptop back in to a mixer channel that is fed back to
            myself and my co-host in some way. I have two laptops at my disposal so if
            I needed another audio input one is available.

            I'm going to investigate that PodProducer software to see what I can do with
            it. At the least it might let me condense my side down to a single VoIP
            connection. Not sure though.

            On the editing end of thing - I was actually spending two to three minutes
            editing for every minute of recording. As you say, doing a live show helps
            with that but there are times even now when I still have to edit things (dog
            barks, daughters coming down stairs asking for water, etc).

            While I know the result that I want to have, the one that that I do know is
            that I'm no audio engineer. Thanks again for all the advice and
            suggestions!

            Hatton

          • Erk Pod
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
              I love what I call button pushing software and making promos. There is
              nothing better than being able to do that live and to do it well to save on
              editing time. A bit off this particular track, I prefer to do my music show
              in real time. When I did a 50th episode special recently with a lot of
              editing, that took so much longer.

              You'll find that a lot of us here aren't audio engineers either but a lot of
              what we do know is by trial & error, using the resources here and on the
              interweb as well as some podcasting books such as Podcasting for Dummies &
              Expert Podcasting Practices for Dummies *ding*.

              And this sort of discussion is a reason I love podcasting so much. There is
              not one single way of doing things.

              Erk

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010

                > I love what I call button pushing software and making promos. There is
                > nothing better than being able to do that live and to do it well to save on
                > editing time.

                Ahh... gotcha .. I think.

                Actually, I will confess that my "real job" title is technologist - which
                where I work translates to, "he who handles anything with a plug." I'm a
                programmer (VB.NET, ColdFusion & SQL), a hardware tech, network
                administrator and contractor-wrangler.

                As far as podcasting as a whole goes, I've only done one other project and
                that was where I killed myself editing. Now there are few times when I
                actually go in and edit and they all focus around catastrophic problems
                during recording.

                And this sort of discussion is a reason I love podcasting so much. There is
                > not one single way of doing things.

                So long as we don't start extolling the virtues of various Linux
                distributions, I'm good with that!

                Hatton

              • Shawn Thorpe
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
                  I don't see any reason why you should stop using Talkshoe if it's worked
                  well for you so far. As far as your technical requirements go, you may be
                  able to work it out by using an external USB/Firewire mixer with an Aux Send
                  control (like the Alesis MultiMix series of mixers). The setup would look
                  something look this:
                  1.) Host uses standard audio mic (not a USB mic) connected to the mixer.
                  2.) Co-host VOIP's into host's computer. His audio (along with the audio
                  from pre-recorded clips, etc.) is sent from the built-in audio output of the
                  host's computer into a channel on the external mixer.
                  3.) Talkshoe is set to use the external mixer as its "input device."
                  4.) Create a mix-minus signal using the Aux Sends of the mixer, zeroing out
                  the Send of the channel that the co-host is on and connect that to the
                  built-in audio input of the host's computer. Send that mix-minus signal to
                  the host's VOIP software so he can communicate with the co-host and not have
                  to worry about feedback issues. NOTE: This setup will likely eliminate the
                  co-host's ability to hear the pre-recorded audio, if that matters.

                  This should work, but it's only theoretical. It'd really depend on how well
                  Talkshoe plays with the external mixer. For example, I have a Tascam FW-1884
                  Firewire mixer. It will work with Skype but Skype will only recognize
                  channel one on the mixer. If the same were to hold true with Talkshoe, this
                  setup wouldn't work. (Also, to clarify - I'm using a Mac.) So, what I'm
                  saying is, I don't have an exact answer for you. But hopefully, this gives
                  you some ideas to work with.

                  On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:00 AM, C. Hatton Humphrey <chumphrey@...>wrote:

                  > I should have prefaced the variety of things that I'm using Talkshoe for -
                  > it helps to set all the facts out ahead of time and I apologize for not
                  > doing so.
                  >
                  > We make use of Talkshoe for a few reasons:
                  > * No need to handle the recording aspect of things. This was the biggest
                  > asset for us as when we started the show my co-host did not have a computer
                  > at his disposal during recordings and mine was unreliable. The computer
                  > issues have since been resolved but we don't want to make too many changes.
                  >
                  > * Coming in a close second is the reduced (but not removed) need to edit.
                  > Time is not something that I have an overabundance of and my past
                  > podcasting endeavors have always included a volume of editing that I never
                  > seemed to have time to do. By making the decision *not* to edit unless
                  > specifically required, I ensure that we actually have a show that comes out
                  > weekly.
                  >
                  > * The call, as it is being recorded, can be streamed live into SecondLife,
                  > where we have an audience that interacts with the show. BTR does NOT allow
                  > this... I've tried ;)
                  >
                  > * We can take calls during the recording of the show without pre-arranging
                  > them. Most of the time this is a good thing.
                  >
                  > So the question really is what equipment can I use to make the show sound
                  > good on TalkShoe with the assumption that both my co-host and I are able to
                  > VoIP in? I still need to be able to play audio clips into the recording,
                  > which could be done from another computer (and another VoIP connection) if
                  > needed. Removing the "live recording" aspects - the text chat, audio stream
                  > and call-in capabilities - would be counterproductive.
                  >
                  > Thanks again for the comments!
                  >
                  > Hatton

                  -Shawn Thorpe
                  http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
                  http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
                  http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!

                • C. Hatton Humphrey
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 21, 2010
                    > This should work, but it's only theoretical. It'd really depend on how well
                    > Talkshoe plays with the external mixer. For example, I have a Tascam FW-1884
                    > Firewire mixer. It will work with Skype but Skype will only recognize
                    > channel one on the mixer. If the same were to hold true with Talkshoe, this
                    > setup wouldn't work. (Also, to clarify - I'm using a Mac.) So, what I'm
                    > saying is, I don't have an exact answer for you. But hopefully, this gives
                    > you some ideas to work with.

                    That does, thanks! I knew it wasn't "pushbutton simple" but it does
                    give me a place to start looking! The good thing is that I'm already
                    using a directed input to the show using X-Lite to dial in.

                    To paraphrase Erk, there seem to be as many different solutions as
                    there are wire colors. Figuring out which one will work best (and
                    simplest) is going to be the fun challenge!

                    Hatton