Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [podcasters] Re: Need Advice: Multi-Location Talkshoe Hardware

Expand Messages
  • Erk Pod
    Good audio is possible on Talkshoe but it usually isn t by using a cell phone. Another similar service is Blog Talk Radio and that is harder to get good audio
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      Good audio is possible on Talkshoe but it usually isn't by using a cell
      phone. Another similar service is Blog Talk Radio and that is harder to get
      good audio out of it.

      There are other ways to have a chatroom available so don't think that
      Talkshoe is the only alternative out there. However, many of these mean that
      you'd be doing your own recording and editing and not what TS gives you. And
      that isn't a bad thing. If you record and edit yourself, you have so many
      more options in terms of the sound, hardware & software. You also have more
      control over your sound if you do it yourself.

      Skype is a great thing to have, especially considering that Skype to Skype
      is free. Many people have Skype so they don't need to call a number to call
      in. A number to call is a nice to have but not a must have.





      --
      Erk, Sydney (Australia)
      Channel Erk podcasts

      Host & Producer: Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo & Blast From The Past

      Producer: Judy's Blast FM.

      Find all 5 podcasts on Channel Erk. There is a podcast for everyone!

      http://www.channelerk.com
      erkpod@...

      Skype: erkpod
      Twitter: @erkpod (personal)
      Voicemail: 02 8003 6905 (Australia)
      Voicemail: 661-524-5ERK (US)

      A member of the Association of Music Podcasting (AMP)
      http://musicpodcasting.org


      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Mike S
      Erk right on the Skype front. I d wouldn t even consider trying to Ring in to Erk Pod Round Table 12, if I had use a Phone. I d get charged lots to ring half
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        Erk right on the Skype front. I'd wouldn't even consider trying to Ring in to Erk Pod Round Table 12, if I had use a Phone. I'd get charged lots to ring half way around the world for a 6 hour show!

        Calling in doesn't require that much hardware.. you can get some good eqiupment for a low price.

        Mike

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Erk Pod <erkpod@...> wrote:
        >
        > Good audio is possible on Talkshoe but it usually isn't by using a cell
        > phone. Another similar service is Blog Talk Radio and that is harder to get
        > good audio out of it.
        >
        > There are other ways to have a chatroom available so don't think that
        > Talkshoe is the only alternative out there. However, many of these mean that
        > you'd be doing your own recording and editing and not what TS gives you. And
        > that isn't a bad thing. If you record and edit yourself, you have so many
        > more options in terms of the sound, hardware & software. You also have more
        > control over your sound if you do it yourself.
        >
        > Skype is a great thing to have, especially considering that Skype to Skype
        > is free. Many people have Skype so they don't need to call a number to call
        > in. A number to call is a nice to have but not a must have.
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > --
        > Erk, Sydney (Australia)
        > Channel Erk podcasts
        >
        > Host & Producer: Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo & Blast From The Past
        >
        > Producer: Judy's Blast FM.
        >
        > Find all 5 podcasts on Channel Erk. There is a podcast for everyone!
        >
        > http://www.channelerk.com
        > erkpod@...
        >
        > Skype: erkpod
        > Twitter: @erkpod (personal)
        > Voicemail: 02 8003 6905 (Australia)
        > Voicemail: 661-524-5ERK (US)
        >
        > A member of the Association of Music Podcasting (AMP)
        > http://musicpodcasting.org
        >
        >
        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        >
      • C. Hatton Humphrey
        I should have prefaced the variety of things that I m using Talkshoe for - it helps to set all the facts out ahead of time and I apologize for not doing so. We
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          I should have prefaced the variety of things that I'm using Talkshoe for -
          it helps to set all the facts out ahead of time and I apologize for not
          doing so.

          We make use of Talkshoe for a few reasons:
          * No need to handle the recording aspect of things. This was the biggest
          asset for us as when we started the show my co-host did not have a computer
          at his disposal during recordings and mine was unreliable. The computer
          issues have since been resolved but we don't want to make too many changes.

          * Coming in a close second is the reduced (but not removed) need to edit.
          Time is not something that I have an overabundance of and my past
          podcasting endeavors have always included a volume of editing that I never
          seemed to have time to do. By making the decision *not* to edit unless
          specifically required, I ensure that we actually have a show that comes out
          weekly.

          * The call, as it is being recorded, can be streamed live into SecondLife,
          where we have an audience that interacts with the show. BTR does NOT allow
          this... I've tried ;)

          * We can take calls during the recording of the show without pre-arranging
          them. Most of the time this is a good thing.

          So the question really is what equipment can I use to make the show sound
          good on TalkShoe with the assumption that both my co-host and I are able to
          VoIP in? I still need to be able to play audio clips into the recording,
          which could be done from another computer (and another VoIP connection) if
          needed. Removing the "live recording" aspects - the text chat, audio stream
          and call-in capabilities - would be counterproductive.

          Thanks again for the comments!

          Hatton


          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • Erk Pod
          Button pushing software - woo hoo! LOL Until recently, I was using a program called Soundbyte for playing things like promos, intros/outros etc. There was a
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
          • 0 Attachment
            Button pushing software - woo hoo! LOL

            Until recently, I was using a program called Soundbyte for playing things
            like promos, intros/outros etc. There was a free version but to be able to
            save etc, you had to buy it (reasonably cheaply).

            Anyhoo, I recently met up with another podcaster who introduced me to Pod
            Producer http://www.podproducer.net (it is free, too!) and while it is only
            very early days for me, I like it. You can drag and drop files better using
            PP than SB in my opinion. Also with PP, you can also record and save the
            file through the program although I haven't done a lot on that side of the
            program yet.

            A multi-channel mixer will give you a lot more control over your audio. As
            Mike S said a moment ago, I used to do a live show. My mixer has separate
            channels for each person (I usually now run with 2 people in the studio but
            can run up to 6 with each person having their own channel) as well as a
            separate channel for the computer and a separate channel for Skype. All of
            these channels have on/off switches so I can control them as needed. Not all
            mixers can do this and it might be overkill for your situation.

            As for editing, it is up to you how much you edit once you have your levels
            etc sorted (I know that isn't easy, especially if you have more than one
            person). But editing isn't a big scary monster that will eat you if you
            leave the bus (unless you happen to be wearing a red shirt, of course).
            During my interviews with other podcasters, there are a range of techniques
            and editing styles depending on preferences and personal taste. Of course,
            the better that the audio going in is going in (both from a sound point of
            view and a content point of view), the less editing you will have to do (if
            you choose to, of course). I know of podcasters that will spend so much time
            editing that they spend 1 minute of editing time for each minute they talk.
            Others don't and what works for you is what works for you. I used to be
            really anal about editing in the beginning (when I was only doing talk) and
            I used to cut out every single um, er, or every bit of dead air that there
            was. Doing a live show helped me get out of that habit LOL.

            Ultimately your podcast is your podcast but there is more than one way to
            cook a chicken.



            On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 4:00 AM, C. Hatton Humphrey <chumphrey@...>wrote:

            >
            >
            >
            >
            > So the question really is what equipment can I use to make the show sound
            > good on TalkShoe with the assumption that both my co-host and I are able to
            > VoIP in? I still need to be able to play audio clips into the recording,
            > which could be done from another computer (and another VoIP connection) if
            > needed. Removing the "live recording" aspects - the text chat, audio stream
            > and call-in capabilities - would be counterproductive.
            >
            > Thanks again for the comments!
            >
            > Hatton
            >
            >
            --
            Erk, Sydney (Australia)
            Channel Erk podcasts

            Host & Producer: Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo & Blast From The Past

            Producer: Judy's Blast FM.

            Find all 5 podcasts on Channel Erk. There is a podcast for everyone!

            http://www.channelerk.com
            erkpod@...

            Skype: erkpod
            Twitter: @erkpod (personal)
            Voicemail: 02 8003 6905 (Australia)
            Voicemail: 661-524-5ERK (US)

            A member of the Association of Music Podcasting (AMP)
            http://musicpodcasting.org


            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • C. Hatton Humphrey
            ... My original thought process was to have my co-host call me on Skype and then mix him, myself and the audio clips together using a Firewire or USB mixer (I
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
            • 0 Attachment
              >
              > Button pushing software - woo hoo! LOL
              >
              > Must have missed the inside joke there (*shrug*)


              > A multi-channel mixer will give you a lot more control over your audio. As
              > Mike S said a moment ago, I used to do a live show. My mixer has separate
              > channels for each person (I usually now run with 2 people in the studio but
              > can run up to 6 with each person having their own channel) as well as a
              > separate channel for the computer and a separate channel for Skype. All of
              > these channels have on/off switches so I can control them as needed. Not
              > all
              > mixers can do this and it might be overkill for your situation.
              >
              My original thought process was to have my co-host call me on Skype and then
              mix him, myself and the audio clips together using a Firewire or USB mixer
              (I have both available) and then feed that audio in to the TalkShoe call
              over a single VoIP connection.

              What I couldn't wrap my head around was getting the audio from TalkShoe back
              IN so we could hear what callers were saying. Maybe it's as simple as an
              audio cord from the laptop back in to a mixer channel that is fed back to
              myself and my co-host in some way. I have two laptops at my disposal so if
              I needed another audio input one is available.

              I'm going to investigate that PodProducer software to see what I can do with
              it. At the least it might let me condense my side down to a single VoIP
              connection. Not sure though.

              On the editing end of thing - I was actually spending two to three minutes
              editing for every minute of recording. As you say, doing a live show helps
              with that but there are times even now when I still have to edit things (dog
              barks, daughters coming down stairs asking for water, etc).

              While I know the result that I want to have, the one that that I do know is
              that I'm no audio engineer. Thanks again for all the advice and
              suggestions!

              Hatton


              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • Erk Pod
              I love what I call button pushing software and making promos. There is nothing better than being able to do that live and to do it well to save on editing
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
              • 0 Attachment
                I love what I call button pushing software and making promos. There is
                nothing better than being able to do that live and to do it well to save on
                editing time. A bit off this particular track, I prefer to do my music show
                in real time. When I did a 50th episode special recently with a lot of
                editing, that took so much longer.

                You'll find that a lot of us here aren't audio engineers either but a lot of
                what we do know is by trial & error, using the resources here and on the
                interweb as well as some podcasting books such as Podcasting for Dummies &
                Expert Podcasting Practices for Dummies *ding*.

                And this sort of discussion is a reason I love podcasting so much. There is
                not one single way of doing things.



                Erk

                On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 4:43 AM, C. Hatton Humphrey <chumphrey@...>wrote:

                >
                >
                > >
                > > Button pushing software - woo hoo! LOL
                > >
                > > Must have missed the inside joke there (*shrug*)
                >
                >
                >
                >


                --
                Erk, Sydney (Australia)
                Channel Erk podcasts

                Host & Producer: Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo & Blast From The Past

                Producer: Judy's Blast FM.

                Find all 5 podcasts on Channel Erk. There is a podcast for everyone!

                http://www.channelerk.com
                erkpod@...

                Skype: erkpod
                Twitter: @erkpod (personal)
                Voicemail: 02 8003 6905 (Australia)
                Voicemail: 661-524-5ERK (US)

                A member of the Association of Music Podcasting (AMP)
                http://musicpodcasting.org


                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • C. Hatton Humphrey
                ... Ahh... gotcha .. I think. Actually, I will confess that my real job title is technologist - which where I work translates to, he who handles anything
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
                • 0 Attachment
                  >
                  > I love what I call button pushing software and making promos. There is
                  > nothing better than being able to do that live and to do it well to save on
                  > editing time.
                  >
                  Ahh... gotcha .. I think.

                  Actually, I will confess that my "real job" title is technologist - which
                  where I work translates to, "he who handles anything with a plug." I'm a
                  programmer (VB.NET, ColdFusion & SQL), a hardware tech, network
                  administrator and contractor-wrangler.

                  As far as podcasting as a whole goes, I've only done one other project and
                  that was where I killed myself editing. Now there are few times when I
                  actually go in and edit and they all focus around catastrophic problems
                  during recording.

                  And this sort of discussion is a reason I love podcasting so much. There is
                  > not one single way of doing things.
                  >

                  So long as we don't start extolling the virtues of various Linux
                  distributions, I'm good with that!

                  Hatton


                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                • Shawn Thorpe
                  I don t see any reason why you should stop using Talkshoe if it s worked well for you so far. As far as your technical requirements go, you may be able to work
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
                  • 0 Attachment
                    I don't see any reason why you should stop using Talkshoe if it's worked
                    well for you so far. As far as your technical requirements go, you may be
                    able to work it out by using an external USB/Firewire mixer with an Aux Send
                    control (like the Alesis MultiMix series of mixers). The setup would look
                    something look this:
                    1.) Host uses standard audio mic (not a USB mic) connected to the mixer.
                    2.) Co-host VOIP's into host's computer. His audio (along with the audio
                    from pre-recorded clips, etc.) is sent from the built-in audio output of the
                    host's computer into a channel on the external mixer.
                    3.) Talkshoe is set to use the external mixer as its "input device."
                    4.) Create a mix-minus signal using the Aux Sends of the mixer, zeroing out
                    the Send of the channel that the co-host is on and connect that to the
                    built-in audio input of the host's computer. Send that mix-minus signal to
                    the host's VOIP software so he can communicate with the co-host and not have
                    to worry about feedback issues. NOTE: This setup will likely eliminate the
                    co-host's ability to hear the pre-recorded audio, if that matters.

                    This should work, but it's only theoretical. It'd really depend on how well
                    Talkshoe plays with the external mixer. For example, I have a Tascam FW-1884
                    Firewire mixer. It will work with Skype but Skype will only recognize
                    channel one on the mixer. If the same were to hold true with Talkshoe, this
                    setup wouldn't work. (Also, to clarify - I'm using a Mac.) So, what I'm
                    saying is, I don't have an exact answer for you. But hopefully, this gives
                    you some ideas to work with.

                    On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:00 AM, C. Hatton Humphrey <chumphrey@...>wrote:

                    >
                    >
                    > I should have prefaced the variety of things that I'm using Talkshoe for -
                    > it helps to set all the facts out ahead of time and I apologize for not
                    > doing so.
                    >
                    > We make use of Talkshoe for a few reasons:
                    > * No need to handle the recording aspect of things. This was the biggest
                    > asset for us as when we started the show my co-host did not have a computer
                    > at his disposal during recordings and mine was unreliable. The computer
                    > issues have since been resolved but we don't want to make too many changes.
                    >
                    > * Coming in a close second is the reduced (but not removed) need to edit.
                    > Time is not something that I have an overabundance of and my past
                    > podcasting endeavors have always included a volume of editing that I never
                    > seemed to have time to do. By making the decision *not* to edit unless
                    > specifically required, I ensure that we actually have a show that comes out
                    > weekly.
                    >
                    > * The call, as it is being recorded, can be streamed live into SecondLife,
                    > where we have an audience that interacts with the show. BTR does NOT allow
                    > this... I've tried ;)
                    >
                    > * We can take calls during the recording of the show without pre-arranging
                    > them. Most of the time this is a good thing.
                    >
                    > So the question really is what equipment can I use to make the show sound
                    > good on TalkShoe with the assumption that both my co-host and I are able to
                    > VoIP in? I still need to be able to play audio clips into the recording,
                    > which could be done from another computer (and another VoIP connection) if
                    > needed. Removing the "live recording" aspects - the text chat, audio stream
                    > and call-in capabilities - would be counterproductive.
                    >
                    > Thanks again for the comments!
                    >
                    > Hatton
                    >
                    >
                    > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    >
                    >
                    >



                    --
                    -Shawn Thorpe
                    http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
                    http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
                    http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!


                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  • C. Hatton Humphrey
                    ... That does, thanks! I knew it wasn t pushbutton simple but it does give me a place to start looking! The good thing is that I m already using a directed
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 21, 2010
                    • 0 Attachment
                      > This should work, but it's only theoretical. It'd really depend on how well
                      > Talkshoe plays with the external mixer. For example, I have a Tascam FW-1884
                      > Firewire mixer. It will work with Skype but Skype will only recognize
                      > channel one on the mixer. If the same were to hold true with Talkshoe, this
                      > setup wouldn't work. (Also, to clarify - I'm using a Mac.) So, what I'm
                      > saying is, I don't have an exact answer for you. But hopefully, this gives
                      > you some ideas to work with.

                      That does, thanks! I knew it wasn't "pushbutton simple" but it does
                      give me a place to start looking! The good thing is that I'm already
                      using a directed input to the show using X-Lite to dial in.

                      To paraphrase Erk, there seem to be as many different solutions as
                      there are wire colors. Figuring out which one will work best (and
                      simplest) is going to be the fun challenge!

                      Hatton
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.