Re: Need Advice: Multi-Location Talkshoe Hardware

  • globetable
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
      Sounds like part of the problem is you are recording in stereo. It is better to assign each of you to your own track and then pan accordingly. I have a Edirol UA-2B and hooking it up to Vista is a pain - requiring a full reboot with it plugged in on my machine. Then it works great. The nice thing about this route is it is easy to also plug a mixer into a USB capture device. This way you could have several guests in a room with you and still have a channel left over for calls, or not and just plug in a mic and you are good to go.

      I tried a couple of USB mics with Vista and they sounded like crap, so my advice there is to handle any box you get with care.

      You could also consider the firewire route, this would give you more mixing channels to work with.

      The biggest audio problem you have is your partner's cell phone. Getting some people to cooperate with Skype is a real problem and he may one of those people who can not physically bring themselves to talk through a computer. Something else to think about. My real advise is to see if you can get him off his cell phone before you spend one dime.

      If you are both on Skype no need for the $3.00 a month fee right out of the gate. I recommend buying $10.00 worth of time. If you burn through it in less than three months, then consider the recurring fee.

      Also record to .wav and then mix down. These days with infinite storage there is no excuse not to record your audio in the correct capture format.

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "C. Hatton Humphrey" <chumphrey@...> wrote:

      > > Now, is your co-host in the same room with you? It's unclear to me, based on
      > > your post if the two of you are together, or if your co-host is in a remote
      > > location. If the two of you are in the same room, and Talkshoe does allow
      > > for a VOIP connection, Then I'd recommend a USB-based mixer with a couple
      > > (non-USB) microphones connected to it. You may need to employ a second
      > > computer to play the sound clips. Just depends on whether or not you can
      > > "separate" the way your computer handles audio I/O with your laptop's
      > > built-in audio and the USB mixer. I'm not familiar enough with Windows Vista
      > > to say for sure what's possible there.
      >
      > TalkShoe does have a VoIP connection option - I use one now for
      > playing sound clips. My goal is to move to using all VoIP for myself,
      > the sound clips and my co-host. He's in a different state (sorry,
      > should have mentioned that before).
      >
      > The issue with Vista that I've found so far is that while I can use
      > the "stereo mix" as an audio source for my VoIP client, that then
      > removes my ability to use the microphone in. Perhaps with the USB mic
      > providing its own audio driver I can work around that - it's going to
      > be an interesting challenge!
      >
      > Thanks for the comments so far!
      >
      > Until Later!
      > C. Hatton Humphrey
      > http://www.eastcoastconservative.com
      >
      > No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large
      > number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

    • Erk Pod
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
        Good audio is possible on Talkshoe but it usually isn't by using a cell
        phone. Another similar service is Blog Talk Radio and that is harder to get
        good audio out of it.

        There are other ways to have a chatroom available so don't think that
        Talkshoe is the only alternative out there. However, many of these mean that
        you'd be doing your own recording and editing and not what TS gives you. And
        that isn't a bad thing. If you record and edit yourself, you have so many
        more options in terms of the sound, hardware & software. You also have more
        control over your sound if you do it yourself.

        Skype is a great thing to have, especially considering that Skype to Skype
        is free. Many people have Skype so they don't need to call a number to call
        in. A number to call is a nice to have but not a must have.

        --
        Erk, Sydney (Australia)
        Channel Erk podcasts

        Host & Producer: Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo & Blast From The Past

        Producer: Judy's Blast FM.

        Find all 5 podcasts on Channel Erk. There is a podcast for everyone!

        http://www.channelerk.com
        erkpod@...

        Skype: erkpod
        Twitter: @erkpod (personal)
        Voicemail: 02 8003 6905 (Australia)
        Voicemail: 661-524-5ERK (US)

        A member of the Association of Music Podcasting (AMP)
        http://musicpodcasting.org

      • Mike S
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
          Erk right on the Skype front. I'd wouldn't even consider trying to Ring in to Erk Pod Round Table 12, if I had use a Phone. I'd get charged lots to ring half way around the world for a 6 hour show!

          Calling in doesn't require that much hardware.. you can get some good eqiupment for a low price.

          Mike

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Erk Pod <erkpod@...> wrote:

          > Good audio is possible on Talkshoe but it usually isn't by using a cell
          > phone. Another similar service is Blog Talk Radio and that is harder to get
          > good audio out of it.
          >
          > There are other ways to have a chatroom available so don't think that
          > Talkshoe is the only alternative out there. However, many of these mean that
          > you'd be doing your own recording and editing and not what TS gives you. And
          > that isn't a bad thing. If you record and edit yourself, you have so many
          > more options in terms of the sound, hardware & software. You also have more
          > control over your sound if you do it yourself.
          >
          > Skype is a great thing to have, especially considering that Skype to Skype
          > is free. Many people have Skype so they don't need to call a number to call
          > in. A number to call is a nice to have but not a must have.
          >

          > --
          > Erk, Sydney (Australia)
          > Channel Erk podcasts
          >
          > Host & Producer: Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo & Blast From The Past
          >
          > Producer: Judy's Blast FM.
          >
          > Find all 5 podcasts on Channel Erk. There is a podcast for everyone!
          >
          > http://www.channelerk.com
          > erkpod@...
          >
          > Skype: erkpod
          > Twitter: @erkpod (personal)
          > Voicemail: 02 8003 6905 (Australia)
          > Voicemail: 661-524-5ERK (US)
          >
          > A member of the Association of Music Podcasting (AMP)
          > http://musicpodcasting.org

        • C. Hatton Humphrey
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
            I should have prefaced the variety of things that I'm using Talkshoe for -
            it helps to set all the facts out ahead of time and I apologize for not
            doing so.

            We make use of Talkshoe for a few reasons:
            * No need to handle the recording aspect of things. This was the biggest
            asset for us as when we started the show my co-host did not have a computer
            at his disposal during recordings and mine was unreliable. The computer
            issues have since been resolved but we don't want to make too many changes.

            * Coming in a close second is the reduced (but not removed) need to edit.
            Time is not something that I have an overabundance of and my past
            podcasting endeavors have always included a volume of editing that I never
            seemed to have time to do. By making the decision *not* to edit unless
            specifically required, I ensure that we actually have a show that comes out
            weekly.

            * The call, as it is being recorded, can be streamed live into SecondLife,
            where we have an audience that interacts with the show. BTR does NOT allow
            this... I've tried ;)

            * We can take calls during the recording of the show without pre-arranging
            them. Most of the time this is a good thing.

            So the question really is what equipment can I use to make the show sound
            good on TalkShoe with the assumption that both my co-host and I are able to
            VoIP in? I still need to be able to play audio clips into the recording,
            which could be done from another computer (and another VoIP connection) if
            needed. Removing the "live recording" aspects - the text chat, audio stream
            and call-in capabilities - would be counterproductive.

            Thanks again for the comments!

            Hatton

          • Erk Pod
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
              Button pushing software - woo hoo! LOL

              Until recently, I was using a program called Soundbyte for playing things
              like promos, intros/outros etc. There was a free version but to be able to
              save etc, you had to buy it (reasonably cheaply).

              Anyhoo, I recently met up with another podcaster who introduced me to Pod
              Producer http://www.podproducer.net (it is free, too!) and while it is only
              very early days for me, I like it. You can drag and drop files better using
              PP than SB in my opinion. Also with PP, you can also record and save the
              file through the program although I haven't done a lot on that side of the
              program yet.

              A multi-channel mixer will give you a lot more control over your audio. As
              Mike S said a moment ago, I used to do a live show. My mixer has separate
              channels for each person (I usually now run with 2 people in the studio but
              can run up to 6 with each person having their own channel) as well as a
              separate channel for the computer and a separate channel for Skype. All of
              these channels have on/off switches so I can control them as needed. Not all
              mixers can do this and it might be overkill for your situation.

              As for editing, it is up to you how much you edit once you have your levels
              etc sorted (I know that isn't easy, especially if you have more than one
              person). But editing isn't a big scary monster that will eat you if you
              leave the bus (unless you happen to be wearing a red shirt, of course).
              During my interviews with other podcasters, there are a range of techniques
              and editing styles depending on preferences and personal taste. Of course,
              the better that the audio going in is going in (both from a sound point of
              view and a content point of view), the less editing you will have to do (if
              you choose to, of course). I know of podcasters that will spend so much time
              editing that they spend 1 minute of editing time for each minute they talk.
              Others don't and what works for you is what works for you. I used to be
              really anal about editing in the beginning (when I was only doing talk) and
              I used to cut out every single um, er, or every bit of dead air that there
              was. Doing a live show helped me get out of that habit LOL.

              Ultimately your podcast is your podcast but there is more than one way to
              cook a chicken.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010

                > Button pushing software - woo hoo! LOL
                >
                > Must have missed the inside joke there (*shrug*)

                > A multi-channel mixer will give you a lot more control over your audio. As
                > Mike S said a moment ago, I used to do a live show. My mixer has separate
                > channels for each person (I usually now run with 2 people in the studio but
                > can run up to 6 with each person having their own channel) as well as a
                > separate channel for the computer and a separate channel for Skype. All of
                > these channels have on/off switches so I can control them as needed. Not
                > all
                > mixers can do this and it might be overkill for your situation.

                My original thought process was to have my co-host call me on Skype and then
                mix him, myself and the audio clips together using a Firewire or USB mixer
                (I have both available) and then feed that audio in to the TalkShoe call
                over a single VoIP connection.

                What I couldn't wrap my head around was getting the audio from TalkShoe back
                IN so we could hear what callers were saying. Maybe it's as simple as an
                audio cord from the laptop back in to a mixer channel that is fed back to
                myself and my co-host in some way. I have two laptops at my disposal so if
                I needed another audio input one is available.

                I'm going to investigate that PodProducer software to see what I can do with
                it. At the least it might let me condense my side down to a single VoIP
                connection. Not sure though.

                On the editing end of thing - I was actually spending two to three minutes
                editing for every minute of recording. As you say, doing a live show helps
                with that but there are times even now when I still have to edit things (dog
                barks, daughters coming down stairs asking for water, etc).

                While I know the result that I want to have, the one that that I do know is
                that I'm no audio engineer. Thanks again for all the advice and
                suggestions!

                Hatton

              • Erk Pod
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
                  I love what I call button pushing software and making promos. There is
                  nothing better than being able to do that live and to do it well to save on
                  editing time. A bit off this particular track, I prefer to do my music show
                  in real time. When I did a 50th episode special recently with a lot of
                  editing, that took so much longer.

                  You'll find that a lot of us here aren't audio engineers either but a lot of
                  what we do know is by trial & error, using the resources here and on the
                  interweb as well as some podcasting books such as Podcasting for Dummies &
                  Expert Podcasting Practices for Dummies *ding*.

                  And this sort of discussion is a reason I love podcasting so much. There is
                  not one single way of doing things.

                  Erk

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010

                    > I love what I call button pushing software and making promos. There is
                    > nothing better than being able to do that live and to do it well to save on
                    > editing time.

                    Ahh... gotcha .. I think.

                    Actually, I will confess that my "real job" title is technologist - which
                    where I work translates to, "he who handles anything with a plug." I'm a
                    programmer (VB.NET, ColdFusion & SQL), a hardware tech, network
                    administrator and contractor-wrangler.

                    As far as podcasting as a whole goes, I've only done one other project and
                    that was where I killed myself editing. Now there are few times when I
                    actually go in and edit and they all focus around catastrophic problems
                    during recording.

                    And this sort of discussion is a reason I love podcasting so much. There is
                    > not one single way of doing things.

                    So long as we don't start extolling the virtues of various Linux
                    distributions, I'm good with that!

                    Hatton

                  • Shawn Thorpe
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
                      I don't see any reason why you should stop using Talkshoe if it's worked
                      well for you so far. As far as your technical requirements go, you may be
                      able to work it out by using an external USB/Firewire mixer with an Aux Send
                      control (like the Alesis MultiMix series of mixers). The setup would look
                      something look this:
                      1.) Host uses standard audio mic (not a USB mic) connected to the mixer.
                      2.) Co-host VOIP's into host's computer. His audio (along with the audio
                      from pre-recorded clips, etc.) is sent from the built-in audio output of the
                      host's computer into a channel on the external mixer.
                      3.) Talkshoe is set to use the external mixer as its "input device."
                      4.) Create a mix-minus signal using the Aux Sends of the mixer, zeroing out
                      the Send of the channel that the co-host is on and connect that to the
                      built-in audio input of the host's computer. Send that mix-minus signal to
                      the host's VOIP software so he can communicate with the co-host and not have
                      to worry about feedback issues. NOTE: This setup will likely eliminate the
                      co-host's ability to hear the pre-recorded audio, if that matters.

                      This should work, but it's only theoretical. It'd really depend on how well
                      Talkshoe plays with the external mixer. For example, I have a Tascam FW-1884
                      Firewire mixer. It will work with Skype but Skype will only recognize
                      channel one on the mixer. If the same were to hold true with Talkshoe, this
                      setup wouldn't work. (Also, to clarify - I'm using a Mac.) So, what I'm
                      saying is, I don't have an exact answer for you. But hopefully, this gives
                      you some ideas to work with.

                      On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:00 AM, C. Hatton Humphrey <chumphrey@...>wrote:

                      > I should have prefaced the variety of things that I'm using Talkshoe for -
                      > it helps to set all the facts out ahead of time and I apologize for not
                      > doing so.
                      >
                      > We make use of Talkshoe for a few reasons:
                      > * No need to handle the recording aspect of things. This was the biggest
                      > asset for us as when we started the show my co-host did not have a computer
                      > at his disposal during recordings and mine was unreliable. The computer
                      > issues have since been resolved but we don't want to make too many changes.
                      >
                      > * Coming in a close second is the reduced (but not removed) need to edit.
                      > Time is not something that I have an overabundance of and my past
                      > podcasting endeavors have always included a volume of editing that I never
                      > seemed to have time to do. By making the decision *not* to edit unless
                      > specifically required, I ensure that we actually have a show that comes out
                      > weekly.
                      >
                      > * The call, as it is being recorded, can be streamed live into SecondLife,
                      > where we have an audience that interacts with the show. BTR does NOT allow
                      > this... I've tried ;)
                      >
                      > * We can take calls during the recording of the show without pre-arranging
                      > them. Most of the time this is a good thing.
                      >
                      > So the question really is what equipment can I use to make the show sound
                      > good on TalkShoe with the assumption that both my co-host and I are able to
                      > VoIP in? I still need to be able to play audio clips into the recording,
                      > which could be done from another computer (and another VoIP connection) if
                      > needed. Removing the "live recording" aspects - the text chat, audio stream
                      > and call-in capabilities - would be counterproductive.
                      >
                      > Thanks again for the comments!
                      >
                      > Hatton

                      -Shawn Thorpe
                      http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
                      http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
                      http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!

                    • C. Hatton Humphrey
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 21, 2010
                        > This should work, but it's only theoretical. It'd really depend on how well
                        > Talkshoe plays with the external mixer. For example, I have a Tascam FW-1884
                        > Firewire mixer. It will work with Skype but Skype will only recognize
                        > channel one on the mixer. If the same were to hold true with Talkshoe, this
                        > setup wouldn't work. (Also, to clarify - I'm using a Mac.) So, what I'm
                        > saying is, I don't have an exact answer for you. But hopefully, this gives
                        > you some ideas to work with.

                        That does, thanks! I knew it wasn't "pushbutton simple" but it does
                        give me a place to start looking! The good thing is that I'm already
                        using a directed input to the show using X-Lite to dial in.

                        To paraphrase Erk, there seem to be as many different solutions as
                        there are wire colors. Figuring out which one will work best (and
                        simplest) is going to be the fun challenge!

                        Hatton