Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Need Advice: Multi-Location Talkshoe Hardware

Expand Messages
  • NY5I
    Hi folks! I m new to the group and came across it while trying to find the answer to this question. It s one that I ve also posted over at the forums on
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 19, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi folks! I'm new to the group and came across it while trying to find the answer to this question. It's one that I've also posted over at the forums on Podcastalley.com (though that forum doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic).

      I have a podcast that has been running through TalkShoe for just over two years. I love the service and the functionality that it gives me. However, sound quality through a cellphone is marginal at best.

      My show is a two-man discussion (myself and my co-host) with the occasional call-in. Additionally we take comments from the text chat in TalkShoe and also from SecondLife, where we load the TS audio stream for live interaction.

      What I want to do now is come up with some way to improve the sound quality. As it is I have two "inputs" to the show - I dial in with my cell and I VoIP in with my laptop. The VoIP connection is for mixing in audio clips. My co-host dials in from his home phone.

      One of my biggest problems - and one I haven't found a fix for - is the fact that Vista so horribly butchered the HD Audio driver on my laptop that getting microphone and audio clips to mix properly is such a vast PITA.

      Here's where I need the help - what would be the best solution for improving the set-up? My thoughts are along the lines of each of us getting USB mics and each of us connecting via VoIP or maybe creating some sort of connection chain where my co-host would connect to me and then I'd connect to TalkShoe via VoIP.

      Hardware-wise (and budget-wise) we're looking to invest no more than about $500 in the setup between all parties involved. It's actually going to be a donation drive on the show and I want to make sure I have all of the bits and pieces accounted (and priced) for ahead of time.

      So here's your chance - what setup would you suggest for making this work?

      Thanks!
    • Dan Hughes
      I d get rid of the phones! No cellphones, no home phones. Get a small mixing board for $45 ( http://tinyurl.com/cckem3) and a $30 audio interface
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 19, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        I'd get rid of the phones! No cellphones, no home phones.

        Get a small mixing board for $45 ( http://tinyurl.com/cckem3) and a $30
        audio interface (http://tinyurl.com/4cwwfa), and a decent mic for $50
        (http://tinyurl.com/l8j29g) for you, and a good USB mic for $70
        (http://tinyurl.com/yho2783) for your partner (assuming you are running
        the show). That's $195, free shipping, and you'll need to order the
        cables to connect your mixer to the interface (Two sets of audio RCA jack
        stereo cables - you probably have them laying around already).

        If you want to take calls, use Skype for $3 a month
        (http://tinyurl.com/6xjste) and you should be good to go. (Note: With
        Skype, your audience will have to email you their phone number and then
        you'll call them).

        You'll need connecting cables, of course, but you'll still come in at
        well under your $500.

        ---Dan

        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • Shawn Thorpe
        I m not that familiar with Talkshoe. So, I have to ask. Are you able to connect to Talkshoe directly via VOIP? Or is the only way to connect to Talkshoe over a
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 19, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          I'm not that familiar with Talkshoe. So, I have to ask. Are you able to
          connect to Talkshoe directly via VOIP? Or is the only way to connect to
          Talkshoe over a telephone line? 'Cause if you're only way in is over the
          phone, you probably won't be able to improve your overall sound quality
          that_much.

          Now, is your co-host in the same room with you? It's unclear to me, based on
          your post if the two of you are together, or if your co-host is in a remote
          location. If the two of you are in the same room, and Talkshoe does allow
          for a VOIP connection, Then I'd recommend a USB-based mixer with a couple
          (non-USB) microphones connected to it. You may need to employ a second
          computer to play the sound clips. Just depends on whether or not you can
          "separate" the way your computer handles audio I/O with your laptop's
          built-in audio and the USB mixer. I'm not familiar enough with Windows Vista
          to say for sure what's possible there.

          On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 3:50 PM, NY5I <chumphrey@...> wrote:

          >
          >
          > Hi folks! I'm new to the group and came across it while trying to find the
          > answer to this question. It's one that I've also posted over at the forums
          > on Podcastalley.com (though that forum doesn't seem to get a lot of
          > traffic).
          >
          > I have a podcast that has been running through TalkShoe for just over two
          > years. I love the service and the functionality that it gives me. However,
          > sound quality through a cellphone is marginal at best.
          >
          > My show is a two-man discussion (myself and my co-host) with the occasional
          > call-in. Additionally we take comments from the text chat in TalkShoe and
          > also from SecondLife, where we load the TS audio stream for live
          > interaction.
          >
          > What I want to do now is come up with some way to improve the sound
          > quality. As it is I have two "inputs" to the show - I dial in with my cell
          > and I VoIP in with my laptop. The VoIP connection is for mixing in audio
          > clips. My co-host dials in from his home phone.
          >
          > One of my biggest problems - and one I haven't found a fix for - is the
          > fact that Vista so horribly butchered the HD Audio driver on my laptop that
          > getting microphone and audio clips to mix properly is such a vast PITA.
          >
          > Here's where I need the help - what would be the best solution for
          > improving the set-up? My thoughts are along the lines of each of us getting
          > USB mics and each of us connecting via VoIP or maybe creating some sort of
          > connection chain where my co-host would connect to me and then I'd connect
          > to TalkShoe via VoIP.
          >
          > Hardware-wise (and budget-wise) we're looking to invest no more than about
          > $500 in the setup between all parties involved. It's actually going to be a
          > donation drive on the show and I want to make sure I have all of the bits
          > and pieces accounted (and priced) for ahead of time.
          >
          > So here's your chance - what setup would you suggest for making this work?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          >
          >



          --
          -Shawn Thorpe
          http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
          http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
          http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!


          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • C. Hatton Humphrey
          ... TalkShoe does have a VoIP connection option - I use one now for playing sound clips. My goal is to move to using all VoIP for myself, the sound clips and
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 19, 2010
          • 0 Attachment
            > Now, is your co-host in the same room with you? It's unclear to me, based on
            > your post if the two of you are together, or if your co-host is in a remote
            > location. If the two of you are in the same room, and Talkshoe does allow
            > for a VOIP connection, Then I'd recommend a USB-based mixer with a couple
            > (non-USB) microphones connected to it. You may need to employ a second
            > computer to play the sound clips. Just depends on whether or not you can
            > "separate" the way your computer handles audio I/O with your laptop's
            > built-in audio and the USB mixer. I'm not familiar enough with Windows Vista
            > to say for sure what's possible there.

            TalkShoe does have a VoIP connection option - I use one now for
            playing sound clips. My goal is to move to using all VoIP for myself,
            the sound clips and my co-host. He's in a different state (sorry,
            should have mentioned that before).

            The issue with Vista that I've found so far is that while I can use
            the "stereo mix" as an audio source for my VoIP client, that then
            removes my ability to use the microphone in. Perhaps with the USB mic
            providing its own audio driver I can work around that - it's going to
            be an interesting challenge!

            Thanks for the comments so far!

            Until Later!
            C. Hatton Humphrey
            http://www.eastcoastconservative.com

            No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large
            number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
          • globetable
            Sounds like part of the problem is you are recording in stereo. It is better to assign each of you to your own track and then pan accordingly. I have a Edirol
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
            • 0 Attachment
              Sounds like part of the problem is you are recording in stereo. It is better to assign each of you to your own track and then pan accordingly. I have a Edirol UA-2B and hooking it up to Vista is a pain - requiring a full reboot with it plugged in on my machine. Then it works great. The nice thing about this route is it is easy to also plug a mixer into a USB capture device. This way you could have several guests in a room with you and still have a channel left over for calls, or not and just plug in a mic and you are good to go.

              I tried a couple of USB mics with Vista and they sounded like crap, so my advice there is to handle any box you get with care.

              You could also consider the firewire route, this would give you more mixing channels to work with.

              The biggest audio problem you have is your partner's cell phone. Getting some people to cooperate with Skype is a real problem and he may one of those people who can not physically bring themselves to talk through a computer. Something else to think about. My real advise is to see if you can get him off his cell phone before you spend one dime.

              If you are both on Skype no need for the $3.00 a month fee right out of the gate. I recommend buying $10.00 worth of time. If you burn through it in less than three months, then consider the recurring fee.

              Also record to .wav and then mix down. These days with infinite storage there is no excuse not to record your audio in the correct capture format.

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "C. Hatton Humphrey" <chumphrey@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Now, is your co-host in the same room with you? It's unclear to me, based on
              > > your post if the two of you are together, or if your co-host is in a remote
              > > location. If the two of you are in the same room, and Talkshoe does allow
              > > for a VOIP connection, Then I'd recommend a USB-based mixer with a couple
              > > (non-USB) microphones connected to it. You may need to employ a second
              > > computer to play the sound clips. Just depends on whether or not you can
              > > "separate" the way your computer handles audio I/O with your laptop's
              > > built-in audio and the USB mixer. I'm not familiar enough with Windows Vista
              > > to say for sure what's possible there.
              >
              > TalkShoe does have a VoIP connection option - I use one now for
              > playing sound clips. My goal is to move to using all VoIP for myself,
              > the sound clips and my co-host. He's in a different state (sorry,
              > should have mentioned that before).
              >
              > The issue with Vista that I've found so far is that while I can use
              > the "stereo mix" as an audio source for my VoIP client, that then
              > removes my ability to use the microphone in. Perhaps with the USB mic
              > providing its own audio driver I can work around that - it's going to
              > be an interesting challenge!
              >
              > Thanks for the comments so far!
              >
              > Until Later!
              > C. Hatton Humphrey
              > http://www.eastcoastconservative.com
              >
              > No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large
              > number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
              >
            • Erk Pod
              Good audio is possible on Talkshoe but it usually isn t by using a cell phone. Another similar service is Blog Talk Radio and that is harder to get good audio
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
              • 0 Attachment
                Good audio is possible on Talkshoe but it usually isn't by using a cell
                phone. Another similar service is Blog Talk Radio and that is harder to get
                good audio out of it.

                There are other ways to have a chatroom available so don't think that
                Talkshoe is the only alternative out there. However, many of these mean that
                you'd be doing your own recording and editing and not what TS gives you. And
                that isn't a bad thing. If you record and edit yourself, you have so many
                more options in terms of the sound, hardware & software. You also have more
                control over your sound if you do it yourself.

                Skype is a great thing to have, especially considering that Skype to Skype
                is free. Many people have Skype so they don't need to call a number to call
                in. A number to call is a nice to have but not a must have.





                --
                Erk, Sydney (Australia)
                Channel Erk podcasts

                Host & Producer: Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo & Blast From The Past

                Producer: Judy's Blast FM.

                Find all 5 podcasts on Channel Erk. There is a podcast for everyone!

                http://www.channelerk.com
                erkpod@...

                Skype: erkpod
                Twitter: @erkpod (personal)
                Voicemail: 02 8003 6905 (Australia)
                Voicemail: 661-524-5ERK (US)

                A member of the Association of Music Podcasting (AMP)
                http://musicpodcasting.org


                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • Mike S
                Erk right on the Skype front. I d wouldn t even consider trying to Ring in to Erk Pod Round Table 12, if I had use a Phone. I d get charged lots to ring half
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
                • 0 Attachment
                  Erk right on the Skype front. I'd wouldn't even consider trying to Ring in to Erk Pod Round Table 12, if I had use a Phone. I'd get charged lots to ring half way around the world for a 6 hour show!

                  Calling in doesn't require that much hardware.. you can get some good eqiupment for a low price.

                  Mike

                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Erk Pod <erkpod@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Good audio is possible on Talkshoe but it usually isn't by using a cell
                  > phone. Another similar service is Blog Talk Radio and that is harder to get
                  > good audio out of it.
                  >
                  > There are other ways to have a chatroom available so don't think that
                  > Talkshoe is the only alternative out there. However, many of these mean that
                  > you'd be doing your own recording and editing and not what TS gives you. And
                  > that isn't a bad thing. If you record and edit yourself, you have so many
                  > more options in terms of the sound, hardware & software. You also have more
                  > control over your sound if you do it yourself.
                  >
                  > Skype is a great thing to have, especially considering that Skype to Skype
                  > is free. Many people have Skype so they don't need to call a number to call
                  > in. A number to call is a nice to have but not a must have.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > --
                  > Erk, Sydney (Australia)
                  > Channel Erk podcasts
                  >
                  > Host & Producer: Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo & Blast From The Past
                  >
                  > Producer: Judy's Blast FM.
                  >
                  > Find all 5 podcasts on Channel Erk. There is a podcast for everyone!
                  >
                  > http://www.channelerk.com
                  > erkpod@...
                  >
                  > Skype: erkpod
                  > Twitter: @erkpod (personal)
                  > Voicemail: 02 8003 6905 (Australia)
                  > Voicemail: 661-524-5ERK (US)
                  >
                  > A member of the Association of Music Podcasting (AMP)
                  > http://musicpodcasting.org
                  >
                  >
                  > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  >
                • C. Hatton Humphrey
                  I should have prefaced the variety of things that I m using Talkshoe for - it helps to set all the facts out ahead of time and I apologize for not doing so. We
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
                  • 0 Attachment
                    I should have prefaced the variety of things that I'm using Talkshoe for -
                    it helps to set all the facts out ahead of time and I apologize for not
                    doing so.

                    We make use of Talkshoe for a few reasons:
                    * No need to handle the recording aspect of things. This was the biggest
                    asset for us as when we started the show my co-host did not have a computer
                    at his disposal during recordings and mine was unreliable. The computer
                    issues have since been resolved but we don't want to make too many changes.

                    * Coming in a close second is the reduced (but not removed) need to edit.
                    Time is not something that I have an overabundance of and my past
                    podcasting endeavors have always included a volume of editing that I never
                    seemed to have time to do. By making the decision *not* to edit unless
                    specifically required, I ensure that we actually have a show that comes out
                    weekly.

                    * The call, as it is being recorded, can be streamed live into SecondLife,
                    where we have an audience that interacts with the show. BTR does NOT allow
                    this... I've tried ;)

                    * We can take calls during the recording of the show without pre-arranging
                    them. Most of the time this is a good thing.

                    So the question really is what equipment can I use to make the show sound
                    good on TalkShoe with the assumption that both my co-host and I are able to
                    VoIP in? I still need to be able to play audio clips into the recording,
                    which could be done from another computer (and another VoIP connection) if
                    needed. Removing the "live recording" aspects - the text chat, audio stream
                    and call-in capabilities - would be counterproductive.

                    Thanks again for the comments!

                    Hatton


                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  • Erk Pod
                    Button pushing software - woo hoo! LOL Until recently, I was using a program called Soundbyte for playing things like promos, intros/outros etc. There was a
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Button pushing software - woo hoo! LOL

                      Until recently, I was using a program called Soundbyte for playing things
                      like promos, intros/outros etc. There was a free version but to be able to
                      save etc, you had to buy it (reasonably cheaply).

                      Anyhoo, I recently met up with another podcaster who introduced me to Pod
                      Producer http://www.podproducer.net (it is free, too!) and while it is only
                      very early days for me, I like it. You can drag and drop files better using
                      PP than SB in my opinion. Also with PP, you can also record and save the
                      file through the program although I haven't done a lot on that side of the
                      program yet.

                      A multi-channel mixer will give you a lot more control over your audio. As
                      Mike S said a moment ago, I used to do a live show. My mixer has separate
                      channels for each person (I usually now run with 2 people in the studio but
                      can run up to 6 with each person having their own channel) as well as a
                      separate channel for the computer and a separate channel for Skype. All of
                      these channels have on/off switches so I can control them as needed. Not all
                      mixers can do this and it might be overkill for your situation.

                      As for editing, it is up to you how much you edit once you have your levels
                      etc sorted (I know that isn't easy, especially if you have more than one
                      person). But editing isn't a big scary monster that will eat you if you
                      leave the bus (unless you happen to be wearing a red shirt, of course).
                      During my interviews with other podcasters, there are a range of techniques
                      and editing styles depending on preferences and personal taste. Of course,
                      the better that the audio going in is going in (both from a sound point of
                      view and a content point of view), the less editing you will have to do (if
                      you choose to, of course). I know of podcasters that will spend so much time
                      editing that they spend 1 minute of editing time for each minute they talk.
                      Others don't and what works for you is what works for you. I used to be
                      really anal about editing in the beginning (when I was only doing talk) and
                      I used to cut out every single um, er, or every bit of dead air that there
                      was. Doing a live show helped me get out of that habit LOL.

                      Ultimately your podcast is your podcast but there is more than one way to
                      cook a chicken.



                      On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 4:00 AM, C. Hatton Humphrey <chumphrey@...>wrote:

                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > So the question really is what equipment can I use to make the show sound
                      > good on TalkShoe with the assumption that both my co-host and I are able to
                      > VoIP in? I still need to be able to play audio clips into the recording,
                      > which could be done from another computer (and another VoIP connection) if
                      > needed. Removing the "live recording" aspects - the text chat, audio stream
                      > and call-in capabilities - would be counterproductive.
                      >
                      > Thanks again for the comments!
                      >
                      > Hatton
                      >
                      >
                      --
                      Erk, Sydney (Australia)
                      Channel Erk podcasts

                      Host & Producer: Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo & Blast From The Past

                      Producer: Judy's Blast FM.

                      Find all 5 podcasts on Channel Erk. There is a podcast for everyone!

                      http://www.channelerk.com
                      erkpod@...

                      Skype: erkpod
                      Twitter: @erkpod (personal)
                      Voicemail: 02 8003 6905 (Australia)
                      Voicemail: 661-524-5ERK (US)

                      A member of the Association of Music Podcasting (AMP)
                      http://musicpodcasting.org


                      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    • C. Hatton Humphrey
                      ... My original thought process was to have my co-host call me on Skype and then mix him, myself and the audio clips together using a Firewire or USB mixer (I
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
                      • 0 Attachment
                        >
                        > Button pushing software - woo hoo! LOL
                        >
                        > Must have missed the inside joke there (*shrug*)


                        > A multi-channel mixer will give you a lot more control over your audio. As
                        > Mike S said a moment ago, I used to do a live show. My mixer has separate
                        > channels for each person (I usually now run with 2 people in the studio but
                        > can run up to 6 with each person having their own channel) as well as a
                        > separate channel for the computer and a separate channel for Skype. All of
                        > these channels have on/off switches so I can control them as needed. Not
                        > all
                        > mixers can do this and it might be overkill for your situation.
                        >
                        My original thought process was to have my co-host call me on Skype and then
                        mix him, myself and the audio clips together using a Firewire or USB mixer
                        (I have both available) and then feed that audio in to the TalkShoe call
                        over a single VoIP connection.

                        What I couldn't wrap my head around was getting the audio from TalkShoe back
                        IN so we could hear what callers were saying. Maybe it's as simple as an
                        audio cord from the laptop back in to a mixer channel that is fed back to
                        myself and my co-host in some way. I have two laptops at my disposal so if
                        I needed another audio input one is available.

                        I'm going to investigate that PodProducer software to see what I can do with
                        it. At the least it might let me condense my side down to a single VoIP
                        connection. Not sure though.

                        On the editing end of thing - I was actually spending two to three minutes
                        editing for every minute of recording. As you say, doing a live show helps
                        with that but there are times even now when I still have to edit things (dog
                        barks, daughters coming down stairs asking for water, etc).

                        While I know the result that I want to have, the one that that I do know is
                        that I'm no audio engineer. Thanks again for all the advice and
                        suggestions!

                        Hatton


                        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      • Erk Pod
                        I love what I call button pushing software and making promos. There is nothing better than being able to do that live and to do it well to save on editing
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
                        • 0 Attachment
                          I love what I call button pushing software and making promos. There is
                          nothing better than being able to do that live and to do it well to save on
                          editing time. A bit off this particular track, I prefer to do my music show
                          in real time. When I did a 50th episode special recently with a lot of
                          editing, that took so much longer.

                          You'll find that a lot of us here aren't audio engineers either but a lot of
                          what we do know is by trial & error, using the resources here and on the
                          interweb as well as some podcasting books such as Podcasting for Dummies &
                          Expert Podcasting Practices for Dummies *ding*.

                          And this sort of discussion is a reason I love podcasting so much. There is
                          not one single way of doing things.



                          Erk

                          On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 4:43 AM, C. Hatton Humphrey <chumphrey@...>wrote:

                          >
                          >
                          > >
                          > > Button pushing software - woo hoo! LOL
                          > >
                          > > Must have missed the inside joke there (*shrug*)
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >


                          --
                          Erk, Sydney (Australia)
                          Channel Erk podcasts

                          Host & Producer: Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo & Blast From The Past

                          Producer: Judy's Blast FM.

                          Find all 5 podcasts on Channel Erk. There is a podcast for everyone!

                          http://www.channelerk.com
                          erkpod@...

                          Skype: erkpod
                          Twitter: @erkpod (personal)
                          Voicemail: 02 8003 6905 (Australia)
                          Voicemail: 661-524-5ERK (US)

                          A member of the Association of Music Podcasting (AMP)
                          http://musicpodcasting.org


                          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                        • C. Hatton Humphrey
                          ... Ahh... gotcha .. I think. Actually, I will confess that my real job title is technologist - which where I work translates to, he who handles anything
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
                          • 0 Attachment
                            >
                            > I love what I call button pushing software and making promos. There is
                            > nothing better than being able to do that live and to do it well to save on
                            > editing time.
                            >
                            Ahh... gotcha .. I think.

                            Actually, I will confess that my "real job" title is technologist - which
                            where I work translates to, "he who handles anything with a plug." I'm a
                            programmer (VB.NET, ColdFusion & SQL), a hardware tech, network
                            administrator and contractor-wrangler.

                            As far as podcasting as a whole goes, I've only done one other project and
                            that was where I killed myself editing. Now there are few times when I
                            actually go in and edit and they all focus around catastrophic problems
                            during recording.

                            And this sort of discussion is a reason I love podcasting so much. There is
                            > not one single way of doing things.
                            >

                            So long as we don't start extolling the virtues of various Linux
                            distributions, I'm good with that!

                            Hatton


                            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                          • Shawn Thorpe
                            I don t see any reason why you should stop using Talkshoe if it s worked well for you so far. As far as your technical requirements go, you may be able to work
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 20, 2010
                            • 0 Attachment
                              I don't see any reason why you should stop using Talkshoe if it's worked
                              well for you so far. As far as your technical requirements go, you may be
                              able to work it out by using an external USB/Firewire mixer with an Aux Send
                              control (like the Alesis MultiMix series of mixers). The setup would look
                              something look this:
                              1.) Host uses standard audio mic (not a USB mic) connected to the mixer.
                              2.) Co-host VOIP's into host's computer. His audio (along with the audio
                              from pre-recorded clips, etc.) is sent from the built-in audio output of the
                              host's computer into a channel on the external mixer.
                              3.) Talkshoe is set to use the external mixer as its "input device."
                              4.) Create a mix-minus signal using the Aux Sends of the mixer, zeroing out
                              the Send of the channel that the co-host is on and connect that to the
                              built-in audio input of the host's computer. Send that mix-minus signal to
                              the host's VOIP software so he can communicate with the co-host and not have
                              to worry about feedback issues. NOTE: This setup will likely eliminate the
                              co-host's ability to hear the pre-recorded audio, if that matters.

                              This should work, but it's only theoretical. It'd really depend on how well
                              Talkshoe plays with the external mixer. For example, I have a Tascam FW-1884
                              Firewire mixer. It will work with Skype but Skype will only recognize
                              channel one on the mixer. If the same were to hold true with Talkshoe, this
                              setup wouldn't work. (Also, to clarify - I'm using a Mac.) So, what I'm
                              saying is, I don't have an exact answer for you. But hopefully, this gives
                              you some ideas to work with.

                              On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:00 AM, C. Hatton Humphrey <chumphrey@...>wrote:

                              >
                              >
                              > I should have prefaced the variety of things that I'm using Talkshoe for -
                              > it helps to set all the facts out ahead of time and I apologize for not
                              > doing so.
                              >
                              > We make use of Talkshoe for a few reasons:
                              > * No need to handle the recording aspect of things. This was the biggest
                              > asset for us as when we started the show my co-host did not have a computer
                              > at his disposal during recordings and mine was unreliable. The computer
                              > issues have since been resolved but we don't want to make too many changes.
                              >
                              > * Coming in a close second is the reduced (but not removed) need to edit.
                              > Time is not something that I have an overabundance of and my past
                              > podcasting endeavors have always included a volume of editing that I never
                              > seemed to have time to do. By making the decision *not* to edit unless
                              > specifically required, I ensure that we actually have a show that comes out
                              > weekly.
                              >
                              > * The call, as it is being recorded, can be streamed live into SecondLife,
                              > where we have an audience that interacts with the show. BTR does NOT allow
                              > this... I've tried ;)
                              >
                              > * We can take calls during the recording of the show without pre-arranging
                              > them. Most of the time this is a good thing.
                              >
                              > So the question really is what equipment can I use to make the show sound
                              > good on TalkShoe with the assumption that both my co-host and I are able to
                              > VoIP in? I still need to be able to play audio clips into the recording,
                              > which could be done from another computer (and another VoIP connection) if
                              > needed. Removing the "live recording" aspects - the text chat, audio stream
                              > and call-in capabilities - would be counterproductive.
                              >
                              > Thanks again for the comments!
                              >
                              > Hatton
                              >
                              >
                              > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                              >
                              >
                              >



                              --
                              -Shawn Thorpe
                              http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
                              http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
                              http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!


                              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                            • C. Hatton Humphrey
                              ... That does, thanks! I knew it wasn t pushbutton simple but it does give me a place to start looking! The good thing is that I m already using a directed
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 21, 2010
                              • 0 Attachment
                                > This should work, but it's only theoretical. It'd really depend on how well
                                > Talkshoe plays with the external mixer. For example, I have a Tascam FW-1884
                                > Firewire mixer. It will work with Skype but Skype will only recognize
                                > channel one on the mixer. If the same were to hold true with Talkshoe, this
                                > setup wouldn't work. (Also, to clarify - I'm using a Mac.) So, what I'm
                                > saying is, I don't have an exact answer for you. But hopefully, this gives
                                > you some ideas to work with.

                                That does, thanks! I knew it wasn't "pushbutton simple" but it does
                                give me a place to start looking! The good thing is that I'm already
                                using a directed input to the show using X-Lite to dial in.

                                To paraphrase Erk, there seem to be as many different solutions as
                                there are wire colors. Figuring out which one will work best (and
                                simplest) is going to be the fun challenge!

                                Hatton
                              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.