posting to podomatic

  • eric
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2010
      when i post there, it says to do so in multiples of 11.025khz ..

      they dont say wma, mp3 or aiff .. file format .. of course audacity is recommended .. they dont say if you record at 24 khz if it will be sampled down to 22.05 after uploading .. anybody use podomatic or podcaster ? i havent uploaded or am not registered on itunes or the bigger ones .. i have a charioci mic, which when plugged into a charioci dvd player, is pretty clean and responsive but i have no mic holder, i let it hang from the 'ceiling' as it were ( not litterally) and try and minimize any fans and other room noises as much as possible, including loud desktops with noisy HD's and PS pans andcase cooling fans. I also found the 'rock star' USB mic available from game stop used from a ps2 at about $10 to be very responsive as well as hassle free (not needing a mic pre-amp) ..

      thanks,
      eric
      CFL
    • Kenn
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2010
        I'm guessing "charioci" is a Karaoke mic plugged into a Karaoke DVD player?
        I have one of those dvd players and 2 mics that I bought for my girls (so
        they don't beat my mics to death) Some of those mics are surprisingly clean
        sounding. Here's a few tips you didn't ask for but I will give anyway :)

        * Record at the highest quality you can with glitches. The quality is
        determined by your audio program, your computer AND the length of your
        recording. It is always best to record at the highest settings and then
        bounce down (convert) to the lower quality. To a computer, audio is nothing
        more than 1's and 0's. The higher the bitdepth, the more numbers it can
        crunch. Better math = better sounding audio.

        * Invest in a mic stand. A boom stand is even better. Having the mic hanging
        from the ceiling does have a distinct advantage though...it doesn't pick up
        the floor rumble or shuffling feet :)

        * Where the back of your mic faces is equally as important as where the
        front of it faces. Unless it is an omni-directional mic, the back of the mic
        picks up the least amount of sound. The nosiest thing in your room, most
        likely the computer, is where the back of the mic should be facing. This
        will help cut down on fan noise etc.

        * The area behind the mic (the wall) should be treated with a heavy blanket
        to reduce the reflections of your voice bouncing off the wall and back to
        the mic. Equally as important, the area behind you should be treated as
        well. I use a couple of boom mic stands set up into a giant T and drape
        blankets over them. Running some "clotheslines" around your mic area and
        draping some blankets over them will create a portable vocal booth.

        * You should always record vocals with a pop filter. My first pop filter was
        made from stretching panty hose over a wire coathanger bent into a circle.
        It does an amazing job. To hear what I mean, blow gentle into the mic and
        then move the popfilter between you and the mic and the blowing sound
        disappears. Now sing a note and move the filter back and forth and you'll
        notice it doesn't alter the actual sound, it just kills excessive wind noise
        from your breath, and that means the hard syllables like P and B don't pop
        and rumble. You can gerry-rig it to hang from your ceiling. Keep it about
        4-6" in front of the mic. Since your mouth will be up-close and personal
        with it, you might want to consider buying a new pair as opposed to using
        the old pair with the run in it your wife/girlfriend threw away :)

        Can't help you much with podomatic or podcaster, but hopefully some of my
        recording tips were helpful to some of you.

        Kenn
        http://kenncrawford.com

        > when i post there, it says to do so in multiples of 11.025khz ..
        >
        > they dont say wma, mp3 or aiff .. file format .. of course audacity is
        > recommended .. they dont say if you record at 24 khz if it will be sampled
        > down to 22.05 after uploading .. anybody use podomatic or podcaster ? i
        > havent uploaded or am not registered on itunes or the bigger ones .. i
        > have a charioci mic, which when plugged into a charioci dvd player, is
        > pretty clean and responsive but i have no mic holder, i let it hang from
        > the 'ceiling' as it were ( not litterally) and try and minimize any fans
        > and other room noises as much as possible, including loud desktops with
        > noisy HD's and PS pans andcase cooling fans. I also found the 'rock star'
        > USB mic available from game stop used from a ps2 at about $10 to be very
        > responsive as well as hassle free (not needing a mic pre-amp) ..
        >
        > thanks,
        > eric
        > CFL

      • Eric

          Kenn,

          Thanks for the tips . i had no idea about the 'back ' of the mic .. i
          have a bs in tech of EE but those kinds of details probably come from a
          broadcasters or communications degree. I did work in the A/V shop of of
          my college a couple semesters as well as volunteer DJ at state college
          about 3 semesters in upstate NY. must be nice to have 2 nice daughters
          - -- a wife.. or even a gf .. unfortunately, i'm not there and havent
          been for a long time...
          ***the highest quality withoutglitches ? does this mean 128kbps - huge
          files and then i have no idea what podomatic will do with it when i
          upload it (as far as resampling down) - not to mention i am connected to
          the slowest asynchronous DSL you can buy.... the mic i have is called
          "singstar' and no wonder it was almost made to go with a kareoke dvd
          player .. ( i have never played a dvd with it and i guess thats all you
          do is play a video and plug in the mic and sing) ... the dvd with 2 mic
          input is a minitek dvd2110 and would you beleive some one was throwing
          it out ? !! i have to use a 1/8 to 1/4" adapter to go from the mic
          connector to the 1/4" input of the dvd player mixer .. it has the cool
          echo dial to add reverb = "spatial ambience."

          you can hear how chopped up the processed file is at podomatic ...
          http://dudefree.podomatic.com

          Thanks for the help Kenn!

          Eric