Sound quality issue

  • Nobilis Reed
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 11, 2010
      Okay, so this is weird.

      I have an mp3 player. I use it to listen to podcasts, including my own.

      When I listen to mine, the sound quality of the parts I recorded
      sounds... meh. Not really up to snuff. Muddy. Worse than the other
      ones I listen to, certainly.

      But when I go back into the studio and try to see what I can do to fix
      it, on the studio headphones it sounds beautiful. Can't find anything
      to change. A little unavoidable hiss in the background, but that's
      all.

      I don't understand.

      Can anyone shed any light?

      -----
      The Nobilis Erotica podcast is now open for submissions - read the
      submission guidelines at
      http://nobiliserotica.com/site/2009/submission-guidelines/
    • Nobilis Reed
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 11, 2010
        Nope, I'm using 128kbps. It's not bit rate.

        On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:47 PM, byrd1970man <unitybyrd@...> wrote:
        > If you are getting bad sound quality, the first thing to look at is the bit rate you are using when you convert to mp3. The higher the number, the better the quality. You will also increase your file size, but that is to be expected. Good luck!
        >
        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Okay, so this is weird.
        >>
        >> I have an mp3 player.  I use it to listen to podcasts, including my own.
        >>
        >> When I listen to mine, the sound quality of the parts I recorded
        >> sounds... meh.  Not really up to snuff. Muddy.  Worse than the other
        >> ones I listen to, certainly.
        >>
        >> But when I go back into the studio and try to see what I can do to fix
        >> it, on the studio headphones it sounds beautiful.  Can't find anything
        >> to change.  A little unavoidable hiss in the background, but that's
        >> all.
        >>
        >> I don't understand.
        >>
        >> Can anyone shed any light?
        >>
        >> --
        >> Weekly erotica served up on your ipod or mp3 player -- subscribe to
        >> Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com
        >> -----
        >> The Nobilis Erotica podcast is now open for submissions - read the
        >> submission guidelines at
        >> http://nobiliserotica.com/site/2009/submission-guidelines/

        -----
        The Nobilis Erotica podcast is now open for submissions - read the
        submission guidelines at
        http://nobiliserotica.com/site/2009/submission-guidelines/
      • Mark Zinkel
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 11, 2010
          Nobilis,

          What program are you using to record your show?

          Send me a link so I can listen to it.

          Good Luck,
          Mark Zinkel
          www.MarkandStephen.com

          On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 8:38 PM, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...>wrote:

          > Okay, so this is weird.
          >
          > I have an mp3 player. I use it to listen to podcasts, including my own.
          >
          > When I listen to mine, the sound quality of the parts I recorded
          > sounds... meh. Not really up to snuff. Muddy. Worse than the other
          > ones I listen to, certainly.
          >
          > But when I go back into the studio and try to see what I can do to fix
          > it, on the studio headphones it sounds beautiful. Can't find anything
          > to change. A little unavoidable hiss in the background, but that's
          > all.
          >
          > I don't understand.
          >
          > Can anyone shed any light?
          >
          > --
          > Weekly erotica served up on your ipod or mp3 player -- subscribe to
          > Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com
          > -----
          > The Nobilis Erotica podcast is now open for submissions - read the
          > submission guidelines at
          > http://nobiliserotica.com/site/2009/submission-guidelines/

        • Shawn Thorpe
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 11, 2010
            Is this one of the same mp3's that's available on your website? If not,
            could you provide a sample? Also, what are you using to encode the mp3's in
            question? iTunes? LAME? Something else?

            On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 8:38 PM, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...>wrote:

            > Okay, so this is weird.
            >
            > I have an mp3 player. I use it to listen to podcasts, including my own.
            >
            > When I listen to mine, the sound quality of the parts I recorded
            > sounds... meh. Not really up to snuff. Muddy. Worse than the other
            > ones I listen to, certainly.
            >
            > But when I go back into the studio and try to see what I can do to fix
            > it, on the studio headphones it sounds beautiful. Can't find anything
            > to change. A little unavoidable hiss in the background, but that's
            > all.
            >
            > I don't understand.
            >
            > Can anyone shed any light?
            >
            > --
            > Weekly erotica served up on your ipod or mp3 player -- subscribe to
            > Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com
            > -----
            > The Nobilis Erotica podcast is now open for submissions - read the
            > submission guidelines at
            > http://nobiliserotica.com/site/2009/submission-guidelines/

            --
            -Shawn Thorpe
            http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
            http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
            http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!

          • Erk Pod
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 11, 2010
              The headphones of the MP3 player?
            • Nobilis Reed
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 11, 2010
                Thanks to all who've offered suggestions.

                Dan Sawyer came up with some techniques that seem to have worked. The
                problem seems to be a set of frequencies that my voice and my
                equipment produce, which then get magnified in weird ways by the
                earbuds.

                Also, for some reason there's a 10ms phase shift between left and
                right. I have no idea why it's there, but from now on I'm recording
                in mono.

                -----
                The Nobilis Erotica podcast is now open for submissions - read the
                submission guidelines at
                http://nobiliserotica.com/site/2009/submission-guidelines/
              • Kenn
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 11, 2010
                  Headphones are notorious for incorrectly reproducing the actual sound. So
                  are stereo speakers for that matter but that's another post :) Anyway, under
                  the headphones the bass has a tendency to be "enhanced". Mixing to this
                  sound and then listening on a different set of headphones creates varying
                  results. Earbuds handle bass differently than headphones that cover your
                  ear. The trick is to check your mix on various types of playback systems,
                  including speakers, and pick a happy medium.

                  Headphones are great for finding flaws... lips smacks and the like... but
                  should not be your only way of mixing. Speakers should be used too and don't
                  forget to use a reference mix. Grab a podcast/audiobook you are familiar
                  with t(that is similiar in vocal style to yours) and do an A/B comparison to
                  see how they sound. If it sounds good and yours does not, it's something at
                  the mix stage that went wrong. If the both sound bleh, ipod/MP3 player
                  settings could have been adjusted to alter the sound or the headphones are
                  on their last legs.

                  You mentioned that you listen in the studio but, did you listen to the track
                  on the MP3 player? Plug your headphones into that and listen... if it's
                  still bleh, its the MP3 player. If the mix on your studio computer sounds
                  good, switch headphones... use your MP3 player headphones and listen.

                  Most likely, and this is only a guess because I was not there to see or hear
                  what happened during the whole process, but usually when mixes go suddenly
                  bad from point A to point B it's 1 of 3 things...
                  1 - somebody was playing with the eq settings on the MP3 player
                  2 - we got so used to the "sound" of our studio headphones we over
                  compensate for them. Always mix with and without headphones.
                  3 - it's not as bad as we think because our ears are just tired and we hear
                  things in our own stuff that is or is not there. If you have been doing a
                  lot of recording/mixing today, take a break for a day and come back to it
                  tomorrow.

                  My 2 cents :)
                  Kenn

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 11, 2010
                    Seems you solved it as I was typing a reply. LOL

                    10ms phase shift? That's weird. I'll never understand why a single mic is
                    even recorded in stereo. Anyway, if you switch your software to record in
                    mono, remember to select a mono source as either the left or the right and
                    not a sum of the left/right... or else the 10ms issue is still there only
                    now there is nothing you can do about it except start over.

                    So is it pushing one side 10ms ahead? Is this 10ms shift on the actual
                    recording or what you are hearing in your headphones as you record?

                    Just curious
                    Kenn

                    > Thanks to all who've offered suggestions.
                    >
                    > Dan Sawyer came up with some techniques that seem to have worked. The
                    > problem seems to be a set of frequencies that my voice and my
                    > equipment produce, which then get magnified in weird ways by the
                    > earbuds.
                    >
                    > Also, for some reason there's a 10ms phase shift between left and
                    > right. I have no idea why it's there, but from now on I'm recording
                    > in mono.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Weekly erotica served up on your ipod or mp3 player -- subscribe to
                    > Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com
                    > -----
                    > The Nobilis Erotica podcast is now open for submissions - read the
                    > submission guidelines at
                    > http://nobiliserotica.com/site/2009/submission-guidelines/

                  • Richard Amirault
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 12, 2010
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 12, 2010
                        You want to *export* your final mix in (joint) stereo for maximum
                        compatibility. You should never *record* a single microphone in stereo
                        (there's no point), as evidenced here with the weird bug Nobilis
                        experienced--even a "just" 10ms phase shift can do weird things.

                        Steve Riekeberg
                        Host, Geek Cred
                        <http://www.geekcred.net>

> [...]

                      • Kenn
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 12, 2010
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 12, 2010
                            Thanks, Mark... I've gotten a lot of good advice and I think I have a
                            handle on it.

                            The PRIMARY rule is never record in stereo when you only have one
                            mike. That's my first lesson.