Re: [podcasters] Wordpress and Podcasting

  • Jeri Unselt
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 22, 2009
      Cliff,

      How do you do the enclose thing for podcasting, the only thing I have been
      able to use and have it work is podpress. I'm always open to new ideas.

      Jeri

      On 12/22/09, Cliff Ravenscraft <Cliff@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > for the Wordpress platform, and would like some thoughts on the post
      > > How2Podcast.com/articles/software/the-end-of-podcasting-for-wordpress/
      > >

      > I have been OPPOSED to using these �all-inclusive� podcasting plug-in�s
      > from day one.
      >
      > There is NO REASON to use them. WordPress does a great job of creating
      > media
      > enclosures necessary for podcasting all on it�s own. In the event you want
      > more control over what does and does not get enclosed you can use an
      > INDIVIDUAL plug-in for that. There are a TON to choose from! I use KG
      > Enclosure Flex
      > http://www.15framespersecond.com/enclosureflex/
      >
      > Need a Flash Audio Player for your podcast to play right within your site?
      > There are INDIVIDUAL options for that as well. The best one BY FAR is the
      > Audio Player plugin.
      > http://www.1pixelout.net/code/audio-player-wordpress-plugin/
      >
      > What about getting your feed to include that iTunes Specific Jazz? Well
      > that�s where Feedburner comes in. I�ve been using them since December of
      > 2005 and became even more confident in their service when Google bought
      > them.
      >
      > As for stats.. Well, I host my nearly 2000 episodes on Libysn and have
      > AMAZING stats going way all the way back.
      >
      > I have 24 podcasts that I personally produce, myself. As a full-time
      > podcast
      > consultant, I�ve helped more than 300 other podcasters launch their own
      > shows. Not one of us have ever used the �Podcasting Plugin� �PodPress� or
      > �PowerPress.�
      >
      > That being said.. I�ve had a GREAT DEAL of business come in from clients
      > who
      > had started podcasting on their own with the use of any of the three above
      > mentioned podcasting plugins.
      >
      > What happens is that when a new version of WordPress comes out that breaks
      > ONE THING inside of these ALL-INCLUSIVE plug-ins, they are stuck until an
      > update is posted fixing it. When things break, they call me to help. While
      > enjoy getting more work that helps put food on the table, I�d rather earn
      > money helping podcasters take their show(s) to the next level.
      >
      > Let me just say this� I LOVE THE GUYS AT BLUBRRY! Todd is a great guy and
      > his heart an passion is in podcasting.
      >
      > I consider Angelo Mandato to be a good friend. He has done an AWESOME JOB
      > building the PowerPress plug-in. It�s very full-featured and you�ll never
      > find a plug-in creator who is willing to provide more service and support
      > for their plug-in product than him.
      >
      > Of any out there, IF (AND ONLY IF) you were to choose an all-inclusive
      > plug-in, this is the ONLY ONE that I would say that you should �consider.�
      >
      > But friendship with Todd & Angelo aside, I think it�s ENTIRELY POSSIBLE to
      > do SUCCESSFUL PODCASTING ON WORDPRESS WITHOUT an All-Inclusive Podcasting
      > Plug-in.
      >
      > End of podcasting on WordPress? NOT A CHANCE!

    • Cliff Ravenscraft
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 22, 2009
        On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Jeri Unselt <
        walkerdependentmusicfan@...> wrote:

        > Cliff,
        >
        > How do you do the enclose thing for podcasting, the only thing I have been
        > able to use and have it work is podpress. I'm always open to new ideas.
        >
        > Jeri

        Jeri, WordPress will automatically enclose links to mp3 files by default.
        However, there are times when a Plug-In or code in the .htaccess file that
        will keep this from happening. It is for this reason, that I have been
        using the KG Enclosure Flex plug-in just for that one feature.

        http://www.15framespersecond.com/enclosureflex/

        Hope this information is helpful.

        Cliff

        <http://podcastanswerman.com/>
        *Cliff J. Ravenscraft - Podcast Producer & Consultant*
        *Phone:* 859-757-1399
        *Email:* Cliff@...
        *My Podcast Network:* http://gspn.tv
        *Consulting & Equipment Sales:*
        http://PodcastAnswerMan.com<http://podcastanswerman.com/>

        *Social Networks*
        Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/gspn
        My Facebook Profile: http://facebook.com/CliffRavenscraft
        My Linked-In Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/CliffRavenscraft
        gspn.tv Community Forum: http://gspn.tv/forum

        *Mailing Lists*
        gspn.tv Community Mailing List: http://gspn.tv/mailinglist
        Podcast Answer Man Mailing List:

        *Other Interesting Links*
        My Story In A Podcast: http://gspn.tv/passion
        Wikipedia Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Ravenscraft
        Wm Paul Young's "The Shack": http://gspn.tv/theshack
        48 Days To The Work You Love: http://gspn.tv/48-Days

      • Todd Cochrane
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 22, 2009
          Ben

          The plugin space will figure itself out.. We have done our best to
          create a plugin that will give their listeners the best experience
          possible regardless of how they are consuming the content. The best part
          is the optimized itunes and zune marketplace listings and the other
          features that add to the listener experience.

          When we hit version 1 of PowerPress we thought we had added everything
          people would want in the way of features and we were wrong. We find the
          feature list growing daily with some pretty cool and innovative
          features. I attribute a large portion of my 2009 show growth to the plugin.

          From a single blog post I can now populate my Audio only RSS feed, My
          Video Only RSS feed and place a flash embed of the video in the blog
          post and get integrated stats information on my wordpress dashboard. If
          I want to only show a audio player I can the options are endless and the
          control of how things are displayed are completely in the podcasters
          control.

          The most important thing is you do not have to use a single one of our
          services to use the plugin and as you said in your article we are in the
          black financially and are not going anywhere.

          For the average podcasters a single plugin created by and for podcasters
          should be all the info one needs.

          Todd