Re: [podcasters] Wordpress and Podcasting

  • Cliff Ravenscraft
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 22, 2009
      On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Ben Straw <Nebula1183@...> wrote:

      > I posted an article earlier this morning about the end of Podcasting
      > for the Wordpress platform, and would like some thoughts on the post
      > How2Podcast.com/articles/software/the-end-of-podcasting-for-wordpress/

      I have been OPPOSED to using these �all-inclusive� podcasting plug-in�s
      from day one.

      There is NO REASON to use them. WordPress does a great job of creating media
      enclosures necessary for podcasting all on it�s own. In the event you want
      more control over what does and does not get enclosed you can use an
      INDIVIDUAL plug-in for that. There are a TON to choose from! I use KG
      Enclosure Flex
      http://www.15framespersecond.com/enclosureflex/

      Need a Flash Audio Player for your podcast to play right within your site?
      There are INDIVIDUAL options for that as well. The best one BY FAR is the
      Audio Player plugin.
      http://www.1pixelout.net/code/audio-player-wordpress-plugin/

      What about getting your feed to include that iTunes Specific Jazz? Well
      that�s where Feedburner comes in. I�ve been using them since December of
      2005 and became even more confident in their service when Google bought
      them.

      As for stats.. Well, I host my nearly 2000 episodes on Libysn and have
      AMAZING stats going way all the way back.

      I have 24 podcasts that I personally produce, myself. As a full-time podcast
      consultant, I�ve helped more than 300 other podcasters launch their own
      shows. Not one of us have ever used the �Podcasting Plugin� �PodPress� or
      �PowerPress.�

      That being said.. I�ve had a GREAT DEAL of business come in from clients who
      had started podcasting on their own with the use of any of the three above
      mentioned podcasting plugins.

      What happens is that when a new version of WordPress comes out that breaks
      ONE THING inside of these ALL-INCLUSIVE plug-ins, they are stuck until an
      update is posted fixing it. When things break, they call me to help. While I
      enjoy getting more work that helps put food on the table, I�d rather earn
      money helping podcasters take their show(s) to the next level.

      Let me just say this� I LOVE THE GUYS AT BLUBRRY! Todd is a great guy and
      his heart an passion is in podcasting.

      I consider Angelo Mandato to be a good friend. He has done an AWESOME JOB
      building the PowerPress plug-in. It�s very full-featured and you�ll never
      find a plug-in creator who is willing to provide more service and support
      for their plug-in product than him.

      Of any out there, IF (AND ONLY IF) you were to choose an all-inclusive
      plug-in, this is the ONLY ONE that I would say that you should �consider.�

      But friendship with Todd & Angelo aside, I think it�s ENTIRELY POSSIBLE to
      do SUCCESSFUL PODCASTING ON WORDPRESS WITHOUT an All-Inclusive Podcasting
      Plug-in.

      End of podcasting on WordPress? NOT A CHANCE!

      Just my two-cents!

      Cliff J. Ravenscraft
      http://PodcastAnswerMan.com <http://podcastanswerman.com/>

    • Jeri Unselt
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 22, 2009
        Cliff,

        How do you do the enclose thing for podcasting, the only thing I have been
        able to use and have it work is podpress. I'm always open to new ideas.

        Jeri

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 22, 2009
          On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Jeri Unselt <
          walkerdependentmusicfan@...> wrote:

          > Cliff,
          >
          > How do you do the enclose thing for podcasting, the only thing I have been
          > able to use and have it work is podpress. I'm always open to new ideas.
          >
          > Jeri

          Jeri, WordPress will automatically enclose links to mp3 files by default.
          However, there are times when a Plug-In or code in the .htaccess file that
          will keep this from happening. It is for this reason, that I have been
          using the KG Enclosure Flex plug-in just for that one feature.

          http://www.15framespersecond.com/enclosureflex/

          Hope this information is helpful.

          Cliff

          <http://podcastanswerman.com/>
          *Cliff J. Ravenscraft - Podcast Producer & Consultant*
          *Phone:* 859-757-1399
          *Email:* Cliff@...
          *My Podcast Network:* http://gspn.tv
          *Consulting & Equipment Sales:*
          http://PodcastAnswerMan.com<http://podcastanswerman.com/>

          *Social Networks*
          Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/gspn
          My Facebook Profile: http://facebook.com/CliffRavenscraft
          My Linked-In Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/CliffRavenscraft
          gspn.tv Community Forum: http://gspn.tv/forum

          *Mailing Lists*
          gspn.tv Community Mailing List: http://gspn.tv/mailinglist
          Podcast Answer Man Mailing List:

          *Other Interesting Links*
          My Story In A Podcast: http://gspn.tv/passion
          Wikipedia Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Ravenscraft
          Wm Paul Young's "The Shack": http://gspn.tv/theshack
          48 Days To The Work You Love: http://gspn.tv/48-Days

        • Todd Cochrane
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 22, 2009
            Ben

            The plugin space will figure itself out.. We have done our best to
            create a plugin that will give their listeners the best experience
            possible regardless of how they are consuming the content. The best part
            is the optimized itunes and zune marketplace listings and the other
            features that add to the listener experience.

            When we hit version 1 of PowerPress we thought we had added everything
            people would want in the way of features and we were wrong. We find the
            feature list growing daily with some pretty cool and innovative
            features. I attribute a large portion of my 2009 show growth to the plugin.

            From a single blog post I can now populate my Audio only RSS feed, My
            Video Only RSS feed and place a flash embed of the video in the blog
            post and get integrated stats information on my wordpress dashboard. If
            I want to only show a audio player I can the options are endless and the
            control of how things are displayed are completely in the podcasters
            control.

            The most important thing is you do not have to use a single one of our
            services to use the plugin and as you said in your article we are in the
            black financially and are not going anywhere.

            For the average podcasters a single plugin created by and for podcasters
            should be all the info one needs.

            Todd