Soundtrack, long files, and Logic Pro

  • Stephen Nelson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2009
      I've been using Soundtrack Pro 2 to edit my podcasts for a while,
      having moved off Audacity because I liked the grouping and bus
      features that Soundtrack has to offer. There's one thing that can
      annoy me when editing through an interview, though: any clip more than
      ten minutes has a noticeable delay whenever I take an action during
      editing. Just deleting an "um" can take ten seconds, which knocks me
      out of the flow.

      I'm considering moving up to Logic Pro, but I'm not sure if it will
      offer me any benefit.

      Has anyone tried both Soundtrack Pro and Logic, and what are the
      points of comparison?
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 2009
        On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Stephen Nelson <stephenenelson@...> wrote:
        > I've been using Soundtrack Pro 2 to edit my podcasts for a while,
        > having moved off Audacity because I liked the grouping and bus
        > features that Soundtrack has to offer. There's one thing that can
        > annoy me when editing through an interview, though: any clip more than
        > ten minutes has a noticeable delay whenever I take an action during
        > editing. Just deleting an "um" can take ten seconds, which knocks me
        > out of the flow.

        Saving frequently can sometimes help with this. Also make sure you
        have it saved in Soundtrack Pro's native format (.stap). The delay is
        the mostly the time it takes to re-render the working track and
        waveform, I think. But it's pretty good about not repeating work.
        Also, a lot of the time you can keep playing while it's doing that
        render work, even if the interface isn't showing it yet.

        > Has anyone tried both Soundtrack Pro and Logic, and what are the
        > points of comparison?

        Logic Pro doesn't have the great waveform editor that STP has. It's
        really optimized for music production. An insane number of
        synthesizer voices and reverbs, but for what you need I doubt you'd
        find it satisfying. That's why Logic Studio comes with both -- they
        serve different needs.

        If you're looking for another good wave editor for the Mac, I believe
        your best options would be Audacity, Amadeus, BIAS Peak or Adobe
        SoundBooth. One good cheap compromise, if STP's quirks are driving
        you too nuts, might be to use Audacity for your time editing and then
        bring it into STP for mastering.)

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • Stephen Nelson
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 20, 2009
          Thanks, Steve, that's exactly what I needed to know. I may try the
          hybrid-editing trick.

          On Dec 20, 2009, at 11:54 AM, Stephen Eley wrote:

          > On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Stephen Nelson <stephenenelson@...
          > > wrote:
          >> I've been using Soundtrack Pro 2 to edit my podcasts for a while,
          >> having moved off Audacity because I liked the grouping and bus
          >> features that Soundtrack has to offer. There's one thing that can
          >> annoy me when editing through an interview, though: any clip more
          >> than
          >> ten minutes has a noticeable delay whenever I take an action during
          >> editing. Just deleting an "um" can take ten seconds, which knocks me
          >> out of the flow.
          >
          > Saving frequently can sometimes help with this. Also make sure you
          > have it saved in Soundtrack Pro's native format (.stap). The delay is
          > the mostly the time it takes to re-render the working track and
          > waveform, I think. But it's pretty good about not repeating work.
          > Also, a lot of the time you can keep playing while it's doing that
          > render work, even if the interface isn't showing it yet.
          >

          >> Has anyone tried both Soundtrack Pro and Logic, and what are the
          >> points of comparison?
          >
          > Logic Pro doesn't have the great waveform editor that STP has. It's
          > really optimized for music production. An insane number of
          > synthesizer voices and reverbs, but for what you need I doubt you'd
          > find it satisfying. That's why Logic Studio comes with both -- they
          > serve different needs.
          >
          > If you're looking for another good wave editor for the Mac, I believe
          > your best options would be Audacity, Amadeus, BIAS Peak or Adobe
          > SoundBooth. One good cheap compromise, if STP's quirks are driving
          > you too nuts, might be to use Audacity for your time editing and then
          > bring it into STP for mastering.)
          >

          > --
          > Have Fun,
          > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
          > http://www.escapepod.org

        • Ben Straw
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 20, 2009
            also try Garageband, I find its a little easier than audacity, and with the iChat Voice under Instrument > Podcasting it cleans the background noise and the voices really good.

            Ben Straw
            Ben's Tech Show - http://www.BensTechShow.com
            How 2 Podcast - http://www.how2podcast.com
            Mac Tip Podcast - http://www.MacTipPodcast.com
            Phone: 1-304-449-4335
            Skype: n3bb3n
            Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

            Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail. com)
            http://www.escapepod.org

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 20, 2009
              On Dec 20, 2009, at 4:08 PM, Ben Straw wrote:

              > also try Garageband, I find its a little easier than audacity, and with the iChat Voice under Instrument > Podcasting it cleans the background noise and the voices really good.

              GarageBand doesn't have a wave editor either. This makes it problematic for really fine-grained cuts.

              Have Fun,
              Steve Eley
              http://escapepod.org