Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Powerpress issue on my site

Expand Messages
  • Michael B
    I m not sure what s causing this, but I wonder if anyone can tell me. I use the powerpress plugin on my site which works great for audio, but whenever I put a
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 18, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      I'm not sure what's causing this, but I wonder if anyone can tell me. I use the powerpress plugin on my site which works great for audio, but whenever I put a video file into it (the files are .m4v), and users click on the play button, the audio plays, but the video doesn't - all you see is a white box with the QuickTime logo in it. The video will play only when/if you scroll down the page - even a tiny bit.

      Has anyone else seen this issue?

      thx,

      Michael
      The Psych Files podcast
      http://www.ThePsychFiles.com
    • angelomandato
      This is a limitation with Quicktime. If your video is 320 x 240, then the absolute smallest size your video area can be is 320 x 240. If your video is 640 x
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 18, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        This is a limitation with Quicktime. If your video is 320 x 240, then
        the absolute smallest size your video area can be is 320 x 240. If your
        video is 640 x 480 and PowerPress Appearance Video settings are set with
        the default width of 320 and default height of 240 then your video will
        not appear. Essentially, the scale must be 1 or greater for Quicktime.
        If your video is 640 x 480, then use those values for your PowerPress
        Video Appearance width x height settings.

        If you are doing anything larger than 640x480 (such as 1280 x 720 for
        AppleTV), I would recommend submitting your video to a video sharing
        site such as Blip.tv or YouTube and use the embed provided by that site
        for your podcast episode. Large files make viewing video from the web a
        less pleasant experience than using a flash based player from a video
        sharing site such as YouTube. In PowerPress you'll need to configure the
        'embed' option to your Episode Entry Box settings to take advantage of
        this technique. PowerPress will use the video sharing site embed in
        place of the quicktime embed on your web pages but continue to use the
        Media URL to your quicktime for the download links and in your feeds.


        --angelo


        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B" <michael.britt@...>
        wrote:
        >
        > I'm not sure what's causing this, but I wonder if anyone can tell me.
        I use the powerpress plugin on my site which works great for audio, but
        whenever I put a video file into it (the files are .m4v), and users
        click on the play button, the audio plays, but the video doesn't - all
        you see is a white box with the QuickTime logo in it. The video will
        play only when/if you scroll down the page - even a tiny bit.
        >
        > Has anyone else seen this issue?
        >
        > thx,
        >
        > Michael
        > The Psych Files podcast
        > http://www.ThePsychFiles.com
        >
      • Michael B
        Angelo - yup, that was the fix. Here s the thing: the video is 640x480, but the width of the center of my webpage is a little less than that, so I typed in a
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 19, 2009
        • 0 Attachment
          Angelo - yup, that was the fix. Here's the thing: the video is 640x480, but the width of the center of my webpage is a little less than that, so I typed in a custom width and height. Apparently that was causing the problem. When I changed the Powerpress settings to 320x240 it plays without scrolling. I'd like the video to play at 640x480 when you click on the "Open in New Window" link, but it still plays at 320x240. I guess I can live with that.

          What does the group thing: is it better to have video play at 320x240 than 640x480 on your web page? (faster download perhaps?)?

          Michael
          The Psych Files podcast
          http://www.ThePsychFiles.com


          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "angelomandato" <cio@...> wrote:
          >
          > This is a limitation with Quicktime. If your video is 320 x 240, then
          > the absolute smallest size your video area can be is 320 x 240. If your
          > video is 640 x 480 and PowerPress Appearance Video settings are set with
          > the default width of 320 and default height of 240 then your video will
          > not appear. Essentially, the scale must be 1 or greater for Quicktime.
          > If your video is 640 x 480, then use those values for your PowerPress
          > Video Appearance width x height settings.
          >
          > If you are doing anything larger than 640x480 (such as 1280 x 720 for
          > AppleTV), I would recommend submitting your video to a video sharing
          > site such as Blip.tv or YouTube and use the embed provided by that site
          > for your podcast episode. Large files make viewing video from the web a
          > less pleasant experience than using a flash based player from a video
          > sharing site such as YouTube. In PowerPress you'll need to configure the
          > 'embed' option to your Episode Entry Box settings to take advantage of
          > this technique. PowerPress will use the video sharing site embed in
          > place of the quicktime embed on your web pages but continue to use the
          > Media URL to your quicktime for the download links and in your feeds.
          >
          >
          > --angelo
          >
          >
          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B" <michael.britt@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm not sure what's causing this, but I wonder if anyone can tell me.
          > I use the powerpress plugin on my site which works great for audio, but
          > whenever I put a video file into it (the files are .m4v), and users
          > click on the play button, the audio plays, but the video doesn't - all
          > you see is a white box with the QuickTime logo in it. The video will
          > play only when/if you scroll down the page - even a tiny bit.
          > >
          > > Has anyone else seen this issue?
          > >
          > > thx,
          > >
          > > Michael
          > > The Psych Files podcast
          > > http://www.ThePsychFiles.com
          > >
          >
        • Will Brown
          Hey Michael, The 320x240 seems viewable to me. I could read all of the graphics in your last video episode without any problem. If you can t change the width
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 19, 2009
          • 0 Attachment
            Hey Michael,
            The 320x240 seems viewable to me. I could read all of the graphics in your
            last video episode without any problem. If you can't change the width of the
            site then I say leave it as is.
            Another option would be to upload your video to a high quality video site
            like Vimeo then embed the video in your page. The drawback would be that you
            would lose the stats on the video, though you could use Vimeo's basic views
            stats.

            Side note: I like the intro video that you have on your home page. It tells
            visitors everything they need to know to get around. Well done. I also like
            the episode maps. A lot of podcasters struggle with keeping older episodes
            in front of their listeners, but your map does a great job of categorizing
            episodes.

            Keep up the hard work!

            Will

            ======================
            http://www.CloudyDayArt.com - Poetry Podcast


            On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Michael B <michael.britt@...
            > wrote:

            >
            >
            > Angelo - yup, that was the fix. Here's the thing: the video is 640x480, but
            > the width of the center of my webpage is a little less than that, so I typed
            > in a custom width and height. Apparently that was causing the problem. When
            > I changed the Powerpress settings to 320x240 it plays without scrolling. I'd
            > like the video to play at 640x480 when you click on the "Open in New Window"
            > link, but it still plays at 320x240. I guess I can live with that.
            >
            > What does the group thing: is it better to have video play at 320x240 than
            > 640x480 on your web page? (faster download perhaps?)?
            >
            > Michael
            > The Psych Files podcast
            > http://www.ThePsychFiles.com
            >
            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > "angelomandato" <cio@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > This is a limitation with Quicktime. If your video is 320 x 240, then
            > > the absolute smallest size your video area can be is 320 x 240. If your
            > > video is 640 x 480 and PowerPress Appearance Video settings are set with
            > > the default width of 320 and default height of 240 then your video will
            > > not appear. Essentially, the scale must be 1 or greater for Quicktime.
            > > If your video is 640 x 480, then use those values for your PowerPress
            > > Video Appearance width x height settings.
            > >
            > > If you are doing anything larger than 640x480 (such as 1280 x 720 for
            > > AppleTV), I would recommend submitting your video to a video sharing
            > > site such as Blip.tv or YouTube and use the embed provided by that site
            > > for your podcast episode. Large files make viewing video from the web a
            > > less pleasant experience than using a flash based player from a video
            > > sharing site such as YouTube. In PowerPress you'll need to configure the
            > > 'embed' option to your Episode Entry Box settings to take advantage of
            > > this technique. PowerPress will use the video sharing site embed in
            > > place of the quicktime embed on your web pages but continue to use the
            > > Media URL to your quicktime for the download links and in your feeds.
            > >
            > >
            > > --angelo
            > >
            > >
            > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > "Michael B" <michael.britt@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I'm not sure what's causing this, but I wonder if anyone can tell me.
            > > I use the powerpress plugin on my site which works great for audio, but
            > > whenever I put a video file into it (the files are .m4v), and users
            > > click on the play button, the audio plays, but the video doesn't - all
            > > you see is a white box with the QuickTime logo in it. The video will
            > > play only when/if you scroll down the page - even a tiny bit.
            > > >
            > > > Has anyone else seen this issue?
            > > >
            > > > thx,
            > > >
            > > > Michael
            > > > The Psych Files podcast
            > > > http://www.ThePsychFiles.com
            > > >
            > >
            >
            >
            >


            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • Ben Straw
            I posted an article earlier this morning about the end of Podcasting for the Wordpress platform, and would like some thoughts on the post
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 21, 2009
            • 0 Attachment
              I posted an article earlier this morning about the end of Podcasting
              for the Wordpress platform, and would like some thoughts on the post
              How2Podcast.com/articles/software/the-end-of-podcasting-for-wordpress/

              Thanks,
              Benjamin Straw
              Ceo Nebben Media
              Ben's Tech Show - http://BensTechShow.com
              How 2 Podcast - http://How2Podcast.com
              Mac Tip Podcast - http://MacTipPodcast.com
              P: 1-304-449-GEEK
              Skype: n3bb3n
              Twitter: twitter.com/nebben




              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • Cliff Ravenscraft
              ... I have been OPPOSED to using these “all-inclusive” podcasting plug-in’s from day one. There is NO REASON to use them. WordPress does a great job of
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 22, 2009
              • 0 Attachment
                On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Ben Straw <Nebula1183@...> wrote:

                >
                >
                > I posted an article earlier this morning about the end of Podcasting
                > for the Wordpress platform, and would like some thoughts on the post
                > How2Podcast.com/articles/software/the-end-of-podcasting-for-wordpress/
                >


                I have been OPPOSED to using these �all-inclusive� podcasting plug-in�s
                from day one.

                There is NO REASON to use them. WordPress does a great job of creating media
                enclosures necessary for podcasting all on it�s own. In the event you want
                more control over what does and does not get enclosed you can use an
                INDIVIDUAL plug-in for that. There are a TON to choose from! I use KG
                Enclosure Flex
                http://www.15framespersecond.com/enclosureflex/

                Need a Flash Audio Player for your podcast to play right within your site?
                There are INDIVIDUAL options for that as well. The best one BY FAR is the
                Audio Player plugin.
                http://www.1pixelout.net/code/audio-player-wordpress-plugin/

                What about getting your feed to include that iTunes Specific Jazz? Well
                that�s where Feedburner comes in. I�ve been using them since December of
                2005 and became even more confident in their service when Google bought
                them.

                As for stats.. Well, I host my nearly 2000 episodes on Libysn and have
                AMAZING stats going way all the way back.

                I have 24 podcasts that I personally produce, myself. As a full-time podcast
                consultant, I�ve helped more than 300 other podcasters launch their own
                shows. Not one of us have ever used the �Podcasting Plugin� �PodPress� or
                �PowerPress.�

                That being said.. I�ve had a GREAT DEAL of business come in from clients who
                had started podcasting on their own with the use of any of the three above
                mentioned podcasting plugins.

                What happens is that when a new version of WordPress comes out that breaks
                ONE THING inside of these ALL-INCLUSIVE plug-ins, they are stuck until an
                update is posted fixing it. When things break, they call me to help. While I
                enjoy getting more work that helps put food on the table, I�d rather earn
                money helping podcasters take their show(s) to the next level.

                Let me just say this� I LOVE THE GUYS AT BLUBRRY! Todd is a great guy and
                his heart an passion is in podcasting.

                I consider Angelo Mandato to be a good friend. He has done an AWESOME JOB
                building the PowerPress plug-in. It�s very full-featured and you�ll never
                find a plug-in creator who is willing to provide more service and support
                for their plug-in product than him.

                Of any out there, IF (AND ONLY IF) you were to choose an all-inclusive
                plug-in, this is the ONLY ONE that I would say that you should �consider.�

                But friendship with Todd & Angelo aside, I think it�s ENTIRELY POSSIBLE to
                do SUCCESSFUL PODCASTING ON WORDPRESS WITHOUT an All-Inclusive Podcasting
                Plug-in.

                End of podcasting on WordPress? NOT A CHANCE!

                Just my two-cents!

                Cliff J. Ravenscraft
                http://PodcastAnswerMan.com <http://podcastanswerman.com/>


                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • Jeri Unselt
                Cliff, How do you do the enclose thing for podcasting, the only thing I have been able to use and have it work is podpress. I m always open to new ideas. Jeri
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 22, 2009
                • 0 Attachment
                  Cliff,

                  How do you do the enclose thing for podcasting, the only thing I have been
                  able to use and have it work is podpress. I'm always open to new ideas.

                  Jeri


                  On 12/22/09, Cliff Ravenscraft <Cliff@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Ben Straw <Nebula1183@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > > I posted an article earlier this morning about the end of Podcasting
                  > > for the Wordpress platform, and would like some thoughts on the post
                  > > How2Podcast.com/articles/software/the-end-of-podcasting-for-wordpress/
                  > >
                  >
                  >
                  > I have been OPPOSED to using these �all-inclusive� podcasting plug-in�s
                  > from day one.
                  >
                  > There is NO REASON to use them. WordPress does a great job of creating
                  > media
                  > enclosures necessary for podcasting all on it�s own. In the event you want
                  > more control over what does and does not get enclosed you can use an
                  > INDIVIDUAL plug-in for that. There are a TON to choose from! I use KG
                  > Enclosure Flex
                  > http://www.15framespersecond.com/enclosureflex/
                  >
                  > Need a Flash Audio Player for your podcast to play right within your site?
                  > There are INDIVIDUAL options for that as well. The best one BY FAR is the
                  > Audio Player plugin.
                  > http://www.1pixelout.net/code/audio-player-wordpress-plugin/
                  >
                  > What about getting your feed to include that iTunes Specific Jazz? Well
                  > that�s where Feedburner comes in. I�ve been using them since December of
                  > 2005 and became even more confident in their service when Google bought
                  > them.
                  >
                  > As for stats.. Well, I host my nearly 2000 episodes on Libysn and have
                  > AMAZING stats going way all the way back.
                  >
                  > I have 24 podcasts that I personally produce, myself. As a full-time
                  > podcast
                  > consultant, I�ve helped more than 300 other podcasters launch their own
                  > shows. Not one of us have ever used the �Podcasting Plugin� �PodPress� or
                  > �PowerPress.�
                  >
                  > That being said.. I�ve had a GREAT DEAL of business come in from clients
                  > who
                  > had started podcasting on their own with the use of any of the three above
                  > mentioned podcasting plugins.
                  >
                  > What happens is that when a new version of WordPress comes out that breaks
                  > ONE THING inside of these ALL-INCLUSIVE plug-ins, they are stuck until an
                  > update is posted fixing it. When things break, they call me to help. While
                  > I
                  > enjoy getting more work that helps put food on the table, I�d rather earn
                  > money helping podcasters take their show(s) to the next level.
                  >
                  > Let me just say this� I LOVE THE GUYS AT BLUBRRY! Todd is a great guy and
                  > his heart an passion is in podcasting.
                  >
                  > I consider Angelo Mandato to be a good friend. He has done an AWESOME JOB
                  > building the PowerPress plug-in. It�s very full-featured and you�ll never
                  > find a plug-in creator who is willing to provide more service and support
                  > for their plug-in product than him.
                  >
                  > Of any out there, IF (AND ONLY IF) you were to choose an all-inclusive
                  > plug-in, this is the ONLY ONE that I would say that you should �consider.�
                  >
                  > But friendship with Todd & Angelo aside, I think it�s ENTIRELY POSSIBLE to
                  > do SUCCESSFUL PODCASTING ON WORDPRESS WITHOUT an All-Inclusive Podcasting
                  > Plug-in.
                  >
                  > End of podcasting on WordPress? NOT A CHANCE!
                  >
                  > Just my two-cents!
                  >
                  > Cliff J. Ravenscraft
                  > http://PodcastAnswerMan.com <http://podcastanswerman.com/>
                  >
                  >
                  > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > ------------------------------------
                  >
                  > YahooGroups Podcasters Links
                  >
                  > ------------------------------------
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >


                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                • Cliff Ravenscraft
                  On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Jeri Unselt
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 22, 2009
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Jeri Unselt <
                    walkerdependentmusicfan@...> wrote:

                    > Cliff,
                    >
                    > How do you do the enclose thing for podcasting, the only thing I have been
                    > able to use and have it work is podpress. I'm always open to new ideas.
                    >
                    > Jeri
                    >


                    Jeri, WordPress will automatically enclose links to mp3 files by default.
                    However, there are times when a Plug-In or code in the .htaccess file that
                    will keep this from happening. It is for this reason, that I have been
                    using the KG Enclosure Flex plug-in just for that one feature.

                    http://www.15framespersecond.com/enclosureflex/

                    Hope this information is helpful.

                    Cliff



                    <http://podcastanswerman.com/>
                    *Cliff J. Ravenscraft - Podcast Producer & Consultant*
                    *Phone:* 859-757-1399
                    *Email:* Cliff@...
                    *My Podcast Network:* http://gspn.tv
                    *Consulting & Equipment Sales:*
                    http://PodcastAnswerMan.com<http://podcastanswerman.com/>


                    *Social Networks*
                    Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/gspn
                    My Facebook Profile: http://facebook.com/CliffRavenscraft
                    My Linked-In Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/CliffRavenscraft
                    gspn.tv Community Forum: http://gspn.tv/forum


                    *Mailing Lists*
                    gspn.tv Community Mailing List: http://gspn.tv/mailinglist
                    Podcast Answer Man Mailing List:
                    http://PodcastAnswerMan.com/mailinglist<http://podcastanswerman.com/mailinglist>


                    *Other Interesting Links*
                    My Story In A Podcast: http://gspn.tv/passion
                    Wikipedia Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Ravenscraft
                    Wm Paul Young's "The Shack": http://gspn.tv/theshack
                    48 Days To The Work You Love: http://gspn.tv/48-Days


                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  • Todd Cochrane
                    Ben The plugin space will figure itself out.. We have done our best to create a plugin that will give their listeners the best experience possible regardless
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 22, 2009
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Ben

                      The plugin space will figure itself out.. We have done our best to
                      create a plugin that will give their listeners the best experience
                      possible regardless of how they are consuming the content. The best part
                      is the optimized itunes and zune marketplace listings and the other
                      features that add to the listener experience.

                      When we hit version 1 of PowerPress we thought we had added everything
                      people would want in the way of features and we were wrong. We find the
                      feature list growing daily with some pretty cool and innovative
                      features. I attribute a large portion of my 2009 show growth to the plugin.

                      From a single blog post I can now populate my Audio only RSS feed, My
                      Video Only RSS feed and place a flash embed of the video in the blog
                      post and get integrated stats information on my wordpress dashboard. If
                      I want to only show a audio player I can the options are endless and the
                      control of how things are displayed are completely in the podcasters
                      control.

                      The most important thing is you do not have to use a single one of our
                      services to use the plugin and as you said in your article we are in the
                      black financially and are not going anywhere.

                      For the average podcasters a single plugin created by and for podcasters
                      should be all the info one needs.

                      Todd

                      Ben Straw wrote:
                      >
                      > I posted an article earlier this morning about the end of Podcasting
                      > for the Wordpress platform, and would like some thoughts on the post
                      > How2Podcast.com/articles/software/the-end-of-podcasting-for-wordpress/
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Benjamin Straw
                      > Ceo Nebben Media
                      > Ben's Tech Show - http://BensTechShow.com <http://BensTechShow.com>
                      > How 2 Podcast - http://How2Podcast.com <http://How2Podcast.com>
                      > Mac Tip Podcast - http://MacTipPodcast.com <http://MacTipPodcast.com>
                      > P: 1-304-449-GEEK
                      > Skype: n3bb3n
                      > Twitter: twitter.com/nebben
                      >
                      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      >
                      >
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.