Re: [podcasters] Using Garageband for Podcasting?

  • Ed Morgan
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 6, 2009
      For me, there is no desire to switch, although I may add a Mac in the future, if just to have access to some of the non-podcasting creative features available on the Mac, that aren't available on the PC. I find the advertising from Apple actually slowing down my desire to add it, as I find it offensive as a long-time PC user without any major problems. But I recognize that to be a minor point, and I will add one in time. For now, I will be adding more PC power in the near future, before any Macs, as the cost difference is a concern. I don't have the noise issues or anything that I find problematic using my PC. I see most Apple users as elitists that are so stuck on brand loyalty, they don't realize how restrictive a Mac really and truly is, no offense intended. My PC is truly a custom machine, and I will have to sacrifice that to get a Mac. If the software companies would provide the same features for each platform, I would never consider adding one at all. Not trying to start a platform war, just my thoughts on the matter.

      Regards,
      Ed

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 7, 2009
        Ed,

        Haven't done a podcast in a while, but used Garageband when we did.
        We were very pleased with the software, with few glitches or complaints.

        I understand your feelings about Mac advertising and fanaticism.
        Although
        I'm a Mac fanatic myself (might as well admit to my weaknesses), I am a
        bit put off by the "us vs. them," condescending tone of the ads that
        Apple
        runs. And I'm frustrated and dismayed daily at the divisiveness and
        adversary
        nature of our culture, which isn't entirely unique even to the U.S.

        To my brother podcaster and computer user, may you have success in
        whatever
        hardware/software path you choose.

        Peter
        (Formerly co-producer of Pro Money Talk)

        Peter W. Johnson, Jr.
        Principal
        (408) 747-1222

        PWJohnson Wealth Management
        Fee Only Wealth and Financial Planning
        "Our Product is Peace of Mind"
        www.pwjohnson.com
        New Blog!! blog.pwjohnson.com

        This e-mail message may contain confidential and/or privileged
        information. If you are not an addressee or otherwise authorized to
        receive this message, you should not use, copy, disclose or take any
        action based on this e-mail or any information contained in the
        message. If you have received this material in error, please advise
        the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank
        you.

        Warning: All e-mail sent to or from this address will be received or
        otherwise recorded by PW Johnson e-mail recordkeeping system and is
        someone other than the recipient.

      • Patrick McNa...
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 10, 2009
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

          > It seems that I've seen a fair amount of podcasters switching from PC
          > to Mac within the last year. Most of them already had decent PC-based
          > rigs, and weren't really having any serious problems. And yet, they
          > switched to Mac, anyway. I'm a Mac user and an Apple enthusiast. But
          > I've been so for over 10 years. As more of a curiosity, then anything
          > else, I wonder what's driving the switchovers? Is Apple's marketing
          > really THAT good? Or is it just that there tends to be a Mac-leaning
          > favoritism amongst creative types, and our constant refrains of "Apple
          > is better" are starting to have an impact?

          I don't think there's been much of a switchover; it has always seemed to me that the great majority of podcasters have been Apple users to begin with. (I'd guess as much as 95%, although I'm sure it's not that high.) I'm curious as to what information you're going by. "Podcasting" did start with Apple, and alot of the earlier podcasters were Apple users since they found out about it first.

          Of course just because someone posts on iTunes doesn't mean they've actually switched. iTunes is available for both platforms. And it is a little easier for Apple users to get an iTunes account (I think they practically sign up when they get the computer) so they're more likely to get listed there.

          If anything, the number of PC podcasters would likely to be growing, not shrinking, as more PC users discover podcasting.
        • thatbluejeansguy
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 10, 2009
            I recently switched, due to the generosity of one of my listeners, and I'm happy with the change.

            David Byrd
            Host of "That Blue Jeans Guy"
            thatbluejeansguy.com

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick McNa..." <writerpatrick@...> wrote:

            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@> wrote:
            > >
            > > It seems that I've seen a fair amount of podcasters switching from PC
            > > to Mac within the last year. Most of them already had decent PC-based
            > > rigs, and weren't really having any serious problems. And yet, they
            > > switched to Mac, anyway. I'm a Mac user and an Apple enthusiast. But
            > > I've been so for over 10 years. As more of a curiosity, then anything
            > > else, I wonder what's driving the switchovers? Is Apple's marketing
            > > really THAT good? Or is it just that there tends to be a Mac-leaning
            > > favoritism amongst creative types, and our constant refrains of "Apple
            > > is better" are starting to have an impact?
            >
            > I don't think there's been much of a switchover; it has always seemed to me that the great majority of podcasters have been Apple users to begin with. (I'd guess as much as 95%, although I'm sure it's not that high.) I'm curious as to what information you're going by. "Podcasting" did start with Apple, and alot of the earlier podcasters were Apple users since they found out about it first.
            >
            > Of course just because someone posts on iTunes doesn't mean they've actually switched. iTunes is available for both platforms. And it is a little easier for Apple users to get an iTunes account (I think they practically sign up when they get the computer) so they're more likely to get listed there.
            >
            > If anything, the number of PC podcasters would likely to be growing, not shrinking, as more PC users discover podcasting.

          • Stephen Dale
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 10, 2009
              I'm an Apple enthusiast in most things but prefer to do my podcast on a PC
              because I like Audition better than GB.

              I'm curious: what fuels this switch? GarageBand's ease of use? I see no
              technical advantage for the Mac over the PC. Why do people switch when they
              do switch?

              Steve