Re: [podcasters] Using Garageband for Podcasting?

  • Shawn Thorpe
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 5, 2009
      It seems that I've seen a fair amount of podcasters switching from PC
      to Mac within the last year. Most of them already had decent PC-based
      rigs, and weren't really having any serious problems. And yet, they
      switched to Mac, anyway. I'm a Mac user and an Apple enthusiast. But
      I've been so for over 10 years. As more of a curiosity, then anything
      else, I wonder what's driving the switchovers? Is Apple's marketing
      really THAT good? Or is it just that there tends to be a Mac-leaning
      favoritism amongst creative types, and our constant refrains of "Apple
      is better" are starting to have an impact?

      -Shawn Thorpe
      http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
      http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
      http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!

      On Nov 4, 2009, at 7:56 AM, Stephen Dale wrote:

      > I actually recently fired up my Macbook Pro specifically to use
      > GarageBand
      > instead of the various tools I'd been trying on my PC. It turns out
      > I don't
      > like podcasting with GarageBand. I've got a bunch of VSTs that I
      > like, and
      > I'm not a big fan of AU.
      >
      > In an odd quirk of fate, recording on my PC workstation actually
      > adds too
      > much noise to my environment, so I've installed Windows via BootCamp
      > on the
      > Macbook Pro so that I can use Audition on Windows on a quieter
      > platform.
      >
      > Who knew?
      >
      > On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Steve G <sgersh@...> wrote:
      >

      > > I've recently move from a PC to a Mac. Previously, I had used
      > SoundForge
      > > and sometimes Audition to create Podcasts and now I'm struggling
      > with
      > > learning the Garageband interface to make my productions easier
      > and faster.
      > > Or at least as easy and fast as the PC>
      > >
      > > Can you recommend online (or off) resources for becoming competent
      > with
      > > Garageband to record Podcasts? I'm specifically interested in tips
      > and
      > > tricks for editing vocal tracks quickly (I'm struggling with
      > joining audio
      > > clips back together after cutting out a bit in the middle for
      > example).
      > >
      > > Thanks for your help!

    • Stephen Dale
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2009
        I think what prompted me to want to try to switch is the way Apple's
        Garageband is embracing the podcast movement. I like that it's got a
        podcast track. I'm also thinking about starting a photography podcast and
        the idea of the "enhanced" podcast, where I can have pictures come onscreen
        as I start talking about them, is enticing.

        To be honest, I'm a believer in the right tool for the job; I'm pretty OS
        agnostic. I have PCs, linux servers, a hackintosh workstation and a Macbook
        Pro laptop. So "making the switch" was pretty easy for me. However in the
        end the lack of VST support is going to put me back in Audition's column.

        VST vs AU is really just a preference thing, I think, or maybe it's like
        Canon vs. Nikon: if you've got Canon lenses you're a Canon fan for life, or
        vice versa. If you've got VSTs, or AUs, that is your preference going on.

        Steve

      • Ed Morgan
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 6, 2009
          For me, there is no desire to switch, although I may add a Mac in the future, if just to have access to some of the non-podcasting creative features available on the Mac, that aren't available on the PC. I find the advertising from Apple actually slowing down my desire to add it, as I find it offensive as a long-time PC user without any major problems. But I recognize that to be a minor point, and I will add one in time. For now, I will be adding more PC power in the near future, before any Macs, as the cost difference is a concern. I don't have the noise issues or anything that I find problematic using my PC. I see most Apple users as elitists that are so stuck on brand loyalty, they don't realize how restrictive a Mac really and truly is, no offense intended. My PC is truly a custom machine, and I will have to sacrifice that to get a Mac. If the software companies would provide the same features for each platform, I would never consider adding one at all. Not trying to start a platform war, just my thoughts on the matter.

          Regards,
          Ed

          It seems that I've seen a fair amount of podcasters switching from PC
          to Mac within the last year. Most of them already had decent PC-based
          rigs, and weren't really having any serious problems. And yet, they
          switched to Mac, anyway. I'm a Mac user and an Apple enthusiast. But
          I've been so for over 10 years. As more of a curiosity, then anything
          else, I wonder what's driving the switchovers? Is Apple's marketing
          really THAT good? Or is it just that there tends to be a Mac-leaning
          favoritism amongst creative types, and our constant refrains of "Apple
          is better" are starting to have an impact?

          -Shawn Thorpe
          http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
          http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
          http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!

          On Nov 4, 2009, at 7:56 AM, Stephen Dale wrote:

          > I actually recently fired up my Macbook Pro specifically to use
          > GarageBand
          > instead of the various tools I'd been trying on my PC. It turns out
          > I don't
          > like podcasting with GarageBand. I've got a bunch of VSTs that I
          > like, and
          > I'm not a big fan of AU.
          >
          > In an odd quirk of fate, recording on my PC workstation actually
          > adds too
          > much noise to my environment, so I've installed Windows via BootCamp
          > on the
          > Macbook Pro so that I can use Audition on Windows on a quieter
          > platform.
          >
          > Who knew?
          >
          > On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Steve G <sgersh@...> wrote:
          >

          > > I've recently move from a PC to a Mac. Previously, I had used
          > SoundForge
          > > and sometimes Audition to create Podcasts and now I'm struggling
          > with
          > > learning the Garageband interface to make my productions easier
          > and faster.
          > > Or at least as easy and fast as the PC>
          > >
          > > Can you recommend online (or off) resources for becoming competent
          > with
          > > Garageband to record Podcasts? I'm specifically interested in tips
          > and
          > > tricks for editing vocal tracks quickly (I'm struggling with
          > joining audio
          > > clips back together after cutting out a bit in the middle for
          > example).
          > >
          > > Thanks for your help!

        • Peter Johnson
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 7, 2009
            Ed,

            Haven't done a podcast in a while, but used Garageband when we did.
            We were very pleased with the software, with few glitches or complaints.

            I understand your feelings about Mac advertising and fanaticism.
            Although
            I'm a Mac fanatic myself (might as well admit to my weaknesses), I am a
            bit put off by the "us vs. them," condescending tone of the ads that
            Apple
            runs. And I'm frustrated and dismayed daily at the divisiveness and
            adversary
            nature of our culture, which isn't entirely unique even to the U.S.

            To my brother podcaster and computer user, may you have success in
            whatever
            hardware/software path you choose.

            Peter
            (Formerly co-producer of Pro Money Talk)

            Peter W. Johnson, Jr.
            Principal
            (408) 747-1222

            PWJohnson Wealth Management
            Fee Only Wealth and Financial Planning
            "Our Product is Peace of Mind"
            www.pwjohnson.com
            New Blog!! blog.pwjohnson.com

            This e-mail message may contain confidential and/or privileged
            information. If you are not an addressee or otherwise authorized to
            receive this message, you should not use, copy, disclose or take any
            action based on this e-mail or any information contained in the
            message. If you have received this material in error, please advise
            the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank
            you.

            Warning: All e-mail sent to or from this address will be received or
            otherwise recorded by PW Johnson e-mail recordkeeping system and is
            someone other than the recipient.

          • Patrick McNa...
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 10, 2009
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

              > It seems that I've seen a fair amount of podcasters switching from PC
              > to Mac within the last year. Most of them already had decent PC-based
              > rigs, and weren't really having any serious problems. And yet, they
              > switched to Mac, anyway. I'm a Mac user and an Apple enthusiast. But
              > I've been so for over 10 years. As more of a curiosity, then anything
              > else, I wonder what's driving the switchovers? Is Apple's marketing
              > really THAT good? Or is it just that there tends to be a Mac-leaning
              > favoritism amongst creative types, and our constant refrains of "Apple
              > is better" are starting to have an impact?

              I don't think there's been much of a switchover; it has always seemed to me that the great majority of podcasters have been Apple users to begin with. (I'd guess as much as 95%, although I'm sure it's not that high.) I'm curious as to what information you're going by. "Podcasting" did start with Apple, and alot of the earlier podcasters were Apple users since they found out about it first.

              Of course just because someone posts on iTunes doesn't mean they've actually switched. iTunes is available for both platforms. And it is a little easier for Apple users to get an iTunes account (I think they practically sign up when they get the computer) so they're more likely to get listed there.

              If anything, the number of PC podcasters would likely to be growing, not shrinking, as more PC users discover podcasting.
            • thatbluejeansguy
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 10, 2009
                I recently switched, due to the generosity of one of my listeners, and I'm happy with the change.

                David Byrd
                Host of "That Blue Jeans Guy"
                thatbluejeansguy.com

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 10, 2009
                  I'm an Apple enthusiast in most things but prefer to do my podcast on a PC
                  because I like Audition better than GB.

                  I'm curious: what fuels this switch? GarageBand's ease of use? I see no
                  technical advantage for the Mac over the PC. Why do people switch when they
                  do switch?

                  Steve