itunes troubleshooting.

  • joshuamcnichols
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2009
      Okay, so I'm confused by how to correct certain errors appearing in my feed from itunes.

      It's been awhile since I posted an episode, so I'm unsure if I'm to blame for this inconsistency, or whether it's itunes or Blogger.

      My blog is at:http://seattletilthcomposting.blogspot.com/

      The itunes store has failed to list the 3rd episode yet, but it downloaded in my itunes subscription, so I assume it's just a matter of time before the directory catches up with its feeds.

      Here's the problem: The episode description shows up as a bunch of html gobbledygook in the itunes table, but shows up correctly when you right click on the episode and choose "show description." Could this indicate I failed to enclose the mp3 file properly in my Blogger post? I didn't choose to add any enclosure links in Blogger, because I don't really know what that means. I don't know what http address I would even put in that "enclosure links" field anyway.

      Generally my descriptions in the itunes table are incorrect in some way. I don't know how itunes comes up with the descriptions - probably from feedburner, and there's nothing apparently wrong with the descriptions in my feed. Nobody else seems to be having this problem, they all have nice clean show descriptions.

      The only thing I did differently this episode is have feedburner ping my blogger site (not the RSS site but the main blog page on blogger) because I was impatient to see it posted.

      My podcast episodes are being hosted for free by the Internet Archive, and published by Blogger.

      Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

      Joshua McNichols
      Seattle Tilth's Master Composter Podcast
    • Ben Straw
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2009
        Is iTunes looking at Feedburner or blogger?

        Ben Straw
        Ben's Tech Show - http://www.BensTechShow.com
        How 2 Podcast - http://www.how2podcast.com
        Mac Tip Podcast - http://www.MacTipPodcast.com
        Phone: 1-304-449-GEEK
        Skype: n3bb3n
        Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2009
          I'm thinking along the same lines. As far as I've always understood,
          Blogger feeds aren't podcast-ready. You have to run them through
          Feedburner to make 'em work with podcasting. So, are you sure that
          you're looking at a Feedburner feed and not the Blogger feed?

          -Shawn Thorpe
          http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
          http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
          http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
            Feed Validator tells me my blogger feed is fine, but my Feedburner feed doesn't validate. At this point, the most likely culprit appears to be HTML characters inserted where they shouldn't be, as the result of my having cut and pasted content from Open Office (an MS Word clone) into my blogger post.

            Can I edit the html in my blogger post and save it without tripping up my itunes subscribers? I assume this action will not be seen as "reposting," but will rather correct the problem with my show description in itunes only for future subscribers.

            Here's the suspect Blogger post html:

            Thanks again for the help.

            Joshua McNichols
          • joshuamcnichols
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
              itunes is pointing at my Feedburner feed.

              More in another post.

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Ben Straw <Nebula1183@...> wrote:

              > Is iTunes looking at Feedburner or blogger?
              >
              > Ben Straw
              > Ben's Tech Show - http://www.BensTechShow.com
              > How 2 Podcast - http://www.how2podcast.com
              > Mac Tip Podcast - http://www.MacTipPodcast.com
              > Phone: 1-304-449-GEEK
              > Skype: n3bb3n
              > Twitter: twitter.com/nebben
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Kenn Crawford
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
                From: "joshuamcnichols" <joshuamcnichols@...>

                > At this point, the most likely culprit appears to be HTML characters
                > inserted where they shouldn't be, as the result of my having cut and
                > pasted content from Open Office (an MS Word clone) into my blogger post.

                Not sure if this helps, but copy/pasting from Word creates nothing but
                headaches for me because Blogger just does not like Word. What I do, and
                never had a problem since (knock wood), is I still compose my post in Word,
                but I copy/paste it into notepad first, then reselect all, copy and then
                paste that into blogger.Works like a charm. Don't know what it is, but
                Blogger and Word docs just don't play nice. Maybe Blogger doesn't like to
                play nice with Open Office docs either?

                Kenn