Re: [podcasters] Garageband 2 Help

  • Ben Straw
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2009
      Gargebands recording time is determined by the BPM.
      Garageband 1 and 2 records
      a 4/4 project at 120BPM can record/play for 00:33:16
      a 4/4 project at 60BPM can record/play for 01:06:32,
      and a 12/8 project at 60BPM can record/play for 01:39:48

      Garageband 3
      a 120BPM project can record/play for 01:06:36
      a 60BPM project can record/play for 02:13:12
      a 40BPM project can record/play for 03:19:48

      '08 and '09
      a 120BPM project can record/play for 5:33:16
      a 60BPM project can record/play for 11:06:32
      a 40BPM project can record/play for 16:39:48

      as far as running iLife '09 on your mac I would consult the system requirements http://www.apple.com/ilife/systemrequirements.html
      When you go to upgrade Tiger(10.4) to Leopard(10.5) I would look to see if amazon.com or ebay.com has a cheap copy

      Ben Straw
      Ben's Tech Show - http://www.BensTechShow.com
      How 2 Podcast - http://www.how2podcast.com
      Mac Tip Podcast - http://www.MacTipPodcast.com
      Phone: 1-304-449-GEEK
      Skype: n3bb3n
      Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2009
        Just FYI regarding the OSX upgrade, if you've got a PowerPC-based Mac, 10.4
        is as far as you'll ever be able to upgrade. 10.5+ are all x86 only.

        On the first: the standard answer at the time was to set the tempo
        really really *slow*. Whatever the minimum beats per minute was. Then
        the 999 measures stretches out to a few hours.

        Leopard: I'd offer you mine, but I'm still running it on one machine. Try
        eBay?

        On Saturday, October 31, 2009, thatbluejeansguy
        <thatbluejeansguy@ gmail.com> wrote:
        > I had a listener recently give me his Power PC Mac Mini--which means I've
        made the jump from PC to Mac.

        > I'm loving the new system, but I have a couple of challenges, though:
        >
        > 1. I have Garageband 2, which seems to have a timeline limitation of 999.
        I can record beyond that time, but nothing shows beyond that and I can't
        edit beyond that.

        > 2. I have MacOS 10.4 (not sure what animal that was), and since I have a
        Power PC Mac, I can't upgrade to Snow Leopard.

        > Does anybody know of a way to get around challenge #1, and if that's not
        possible, anybody know of a way to get my hands on a legitimate copy of
        Leopard? I have a nice, shiny new copy of iLife '09 that might as well be a
        coaster right now without Leopard.

        > Any and all help will be appreciated. Consulting the discussions on
        Apple.com did not help.

        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > David Byrd
        > Producer of "That Blue Jeans Guy" and "David's Salon" podcasts
        > http://thatbluejeansguy.com
        > thatbluejeansguy@ gmail.com

        Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail. com)
        http://www.escapepod.org

      • Ben Straw
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2009
          Leopard can run on the later flat panel iMac G4s, the first iMac G5,
          second iMac G5 (with the ambient light sensor), third iMac G5 (with
          iSight), iMac Intel Core Duo and (present day) iMac Intel Core 2 Duo,
          PowerBook G4, Power Mac G4, Power Mac G5, iBook G4, MacBook, MacBook
          Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Pro, Mac Mini, Xserve, Xserve G5, Xserve RAID,
          Macintosh Server G4, and later eMac models. Leopard can run on older
          hardware as long as they have a G4 upgrade installed running at the
          867mhz or faster, have at least 9 gb free of hard drive space, 512 MB
          RAM and have a DVD drive. Leopard however will not run on the 900mhz
          iBook G3 models even though they exceed the minimum 867Mhz requirement.
          This is due to the lack of AltiVec in the G3 line of processors and the
          fact that most pre G4 and early G4 systems do not have video hardware
          capable of supporting Core Image, two technologies Leopard relies
          heavily upon among others. Leopard can be "hacked" (see below) to
          install on these G3 and pre 867mhz G4 machines but the system may
          behave erratically and many of the programs, features and functions may
          not work properly or at all.
          Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Leopard
          Looking at the specs of the first mac mini that was announced on January 11 2005, it has 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 processor, 256 MB RAM, and a 40 GB hard drive.
          Looks to me all it needs is an upgrade of ram to run 10.5
          Now 10.6+ is x86 only and wont work on a Power Pcprocessor

          ____________ _________ _________ __
          On the first: the standard answer at the time was to set the tempo
          really really *slow*. Whatever the minimum beats per minute was. Then
          the 999 measures stretches out to a few hours.

          Leopard: I'd offer you mine, but I'm still running it on one machine. Try
          eBay?

          On Saturday, October 31, 2009, thatbluejeansguy
          <thatbluejeansguy@ gmail.com> wrote:
          > I had a listener recently give me his Power PC Mac Mini--which means I've
          made the jump from PC to Mac.

          > I'm loving the new system, but I have a couple of challenges, though:
          >
          > 1. I have Garageband 2, which seems to have a timeline limitation of 999.
          I can record beyond that time, but nothing shows beyond that and I can't
          edit beyond that.

          > 2. I have MacOS 10.4 (not sure what animal that was), and since I have a
          Power PC Mac, I can't upgrade to Snow Leopard.

          > Does anybody know of a way to get around challenge #1, and if that's not
          possible, anybody know of a way to get my hands on a legitimate copy of
          Leopard? I have a nice, shiny new copy of iLife '09 that might as well be a
          coaster right now without Leopard.

          > Any and all help will be appreciated. Consulting the discussions on
          Apple.com did not help.

          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > David Byrd
          > Producer of "That Blue Jeans Guy" and "David's Salon" podcasts
          > http://thatbluejeansguy.com
          > thatbluejeansguy@ gmail.com

          Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail. com)
          http://www.escapepod.org

          http://mail. yahoo.com

        • thatbluejeansguy
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2009
            Many thanks to everybody who gave me help and advice on solving this problem. I'm looking forward to producing!

            David