Re: [podcasters] Podcast Aggregators

  • Diana Goodavage
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
      I'm really glad you're doing that, because I've been trying to subscribe to podcasts for years. Nothing seems to work for me.

      Yes, I think there are a bunch of aggregators: Songbird, maybe? Or, I might be so mixed up here, I don't know an aggregator from a crocodile LOL.

      And, yes, please do make it as simple as possible. And, please post a link here on the list when it's ready. Thanks so much.

      Diana

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
        Based on Blubrry Statistics, the iTunes desktop application is still
        king. Zune Marketplace has made a small dent, but we still see web site
        traffic as the second largest user base to most podcasts. More
        important, we see new growth with mobile devices.

        The future of podcasting is definitely with mobile devices. We've seen
        increased usage in our Blubrry Statistics system from Blackberry,
        Android and Palm Pre (WebOS) phones. Each of these mobile devices have
        their own popular podcatchers. Blackberry has PodTrapper, Palm Pre has
        PrePod, and Android has a number of apps including DoggCatcher,
        BeyondPod and Google Labs "Listen". iPhone downloads have increased
        modestly in comparison, my theory is iPhone users are accustomed to
        using the iTunes app on their computer and are not taking advantage of
        the iTunes app on their phones as much as they could be. It may also be
        that Blackberry/Android/Palm Pre users don't have a complementary
        desktop software option, they can only consume podcasts from their
        respective devices. What ever the reason, Blackberry, Android and Palm
        Pre podcatchers are gaining traction faster than iTunes on the iPhone.

        I can't speak for the others, but I can say that the "Listen" app made
        by Google Labs makes the iTunes app on the iPhone outdated, restrictive
        and complicated. With Listen, you load the app, type in a search, then
        check the 'subscribe' box next to show name. Pretty simple.

        I've herd good things about the PrePod for Palm Pre and PodTrapper for
        Blackberry, but I haven't used them. Can someone reply with some
        instructions if they've used either of these apps?

        I am not sure what Apple has planned to compete with these other mobile
        podcatching apps, but with the 10MB download restriction in place on the
        ATnT network, the iPhone is going to become the least desired as far as
        mobile podcatching is concerned. Apple has demonstrated that it will not
        approve apps that compete with their built-in apps, so I'm not sure if
        the app Wizzard is making will make much of a difference. I presume the
        only way Wizzard will be able to get a podcatching app approved for the
        iPhone is if each show to have their own re-branded app listed in the
        App Store.

        I would suggest writing instructions for the podcatchers that you see
        the most popularity for in your statistics. The free basic statistics
        service from Blubrry will show you the top 10 client applications, which
        should be helpful for determining what should be in your list. I would
        also include instructions for iTunes on the iPhone, PrePod for Palm Pre,
        PodTrapper for Blackberry and Listen for Android. I also agree with
        providing instructions for Zune Marketplace and Google Reader.

        I'll be at PodCamp Pittsburgh this weekend and Blog World the following
        week. Anyone who wants to talk shop, please feel free to hunt me down.
        [:)]

        --angelo

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Diana Goodavage <dianagoodavage@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm really glad you're doing that, because I've been trying to
        subscribe to podcasts for years. Nothing seems to work for me.

        > Yes, I think there are a bunch of aggregators: Songbird, maybe? Or, I
        might be so mixed up here, I don't know an aggregator from a crocodile
        LOL.

        > And, yes, please do make it as simple as possible. And, please post a
        link here on the list when it's ready. Thanks so much.

        > Diana

      • Pat Cook
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
          ----- "angelomandato" <cio@...> wrote:

          > Based on Blubrry Statistics, the iTunes desktop application is still
          > king. Zune Marketplace has made a small dent, but we still see web
          > site
          > traffic as the second largest user base to most podcasts. More
          > important, we see new growth with mobile devices.

          Which is why I've been dabbling with 3GP for my videos. And if/when 4GP goes into full development as a viable video podcasting platform, I'll be dabbling with that as well.

          Cheers :)

          Pat
        • Patrick McNa...
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 5, 2009
            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, matt1027 <box1027@...> wrote:

            > I'm writing out some instructions on how to listen and how to
            > subscribe to my podcast. Are there any aggregators besides iTunes
            > and Juice that I should mention as being available?
            >
            > It seems like anyone who would need to read these instructions would
            > also need things to be as simple as possible.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Matt

            Also don't forget to provide a direct download of the file. Podcatchers can be too complicated for many users but a one click link usually is simple enough for everyone. Most of the podcasts I listen to I download through direct links.