Re: [podcasters] Podcast Aggregators

  • David Jackson
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
      Matt,
      Put a link to www.learntosubscribe.com

      Dave Jackson
      www.musicianscooler.com

      On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 11:54 PM, matt1027 <box1027@...> wrote:

      > I'm writing out some instructions on how to listen and how to
      > subscribe to my podcast. Are there any aggregators besides iTunes
      > and Juice that I should mention as being available?
      >
      > It seems like anyone who would need to read these instructions would
      > also need things to be as simple as possible.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Matt

    • Michael Johnson
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
        Dont forget zune marketplace
        mike
        crosscampusmnistry.com
        > I'm writing out some instructions on how to listen and how to
        > subscribe to my podcast. Are there any aggregators besides iTunes
        > and Juice that I should mention as being available?
        >
        > It seems like anyone who would need to read these instructions would
        > also need things to be as simple as possible.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Matt

      • Diana Goodavage
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
          I'm really glad you're doing that, because I've been trying to subscribe to podcasts for years. Nothing seems to work for me.

          Yes, I think there are a bunch of aggregators: Songbird, maybe? Or, I might be so mixed up here, I don't know an aggregator from a crocodile LOL.

          And, yes, please do make it as simple as possible. And, please post a link here on the list when it's ready. Thanks so much.

          Diana

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
            Based on Blubrry Statistics, the iTunes desktop application is still
            king. Zune Marketplace has made a small dent, but we still see web site
            traffic as the second largest user base to most podcasts. More
            important, we see new growth with mobile devices.

            The future of podcasting is definitely with mobile devices. We've seen
            increased usage in our Blubrry Statistics system from Blackberry,
            Android and Palm Pre (WebOS) phones. Each of these mobile devices have
            their own popular podcatchers. Blackberry has PodTrapper, Palm Pre has
            PrePod, and Android has a number of apps including DoggCatcher,
            BeyondPod and Google Labs "Listen". iPhone downloads have increased
            modestly in comparison, my theory is iPhone users are accustomed to
            using the iTunes app on their computer and are not taking advantage of
            the iTunes app on their phones as much as they could be. It may also be
            that Blackberry/Android/Palm Pre users don't have a complementary
            desktop software option, they can only consume podcasts from their
            respective devices. What ever the reason, Blackberry, Android and Palm
            Pre podcatchers are gaining traction faster than iTunes on the iPhone.

            I can't speak for the others, but I can say that the "Listen" app made
            by Google Labs makes the iTunes app on the iPhone outdated, restrictive
            and complicated. With Listen, you load the app, type in a search, then
            check the 'subscribe' box next to show name. Pretty simple.

            I've herd good things about the PrePod for Palm Pre and PodTrapper for
            Blackberry, but I haven't used them. Can someone reply with some
            instructions if they've used either of these apps?

            I am not sure what Apple has planned to compete with these other mobile
            podcatching apps, but with the 10MB download restriction in place on the
            ATnT network, the iPhone is going to become the least desired as far as
            mobile podcatching is concerned. Apple has demonstrated that it will not
            approve apps that compete with their built-in apps, so I'm not sure if
            the app Wizzard is making will make much of a difference. I presume the
            only way Wizzard will be able to get a podcatching app approved for the
            iPhone is if each show to have their own re-branded app listed in the
            App Store.

            I would suggest writing instructions for the podcatchers that you see
            the most popularity for in your statistics. The free basic statistics
            service from Blubrry will show you the top 10 client applications, which
            should be helpful for determining what should be in your list. I would
            also include instructions for iTunes on the iPhone, PrePod for Palm Pre,
            PodTrapper for Blackberry and Listen for Android. I also agree with
            providing instructions for Zune Marketplace and Google Reader.

            I'll be at PodCamp Pittsburgh this weekend and Blog World the following
            week. Anyone who wants to talk shop, please feel free to hunt me down.
            [:)]

            --angelo

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Diana Goodavage <dianagoodavage@...>
            wrote:

            > I'm really glad you're doing that, because I've been trying to
            subscribe to podcasts for years. Nothing seems to work for me.

            > Yes, I think there are a bunch of aggregators: Songbird, maybe? Or, I
            might be so mixed up here, I don't know an aggregator from a crocodile
            LOL.

            > And, yes, please do make it as simple as possible. And, please post a
            link here on the list when it's ready. Thanks so much.

            > Diana

          • Pat Cook
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
              ----- "angelomandato" <cio@...> wrote:

              > Based on Blubrry Statistics, the iTunes desktop application is still
              > king. Zune Marketplace has made a small dent, but we still see web
              > site
              > traffic as the second largest user base to most podcasts. More
              > important, we see new growth with mobile devices.

              Which is why I've been dabbling with 3GP for my videos. And if/when 4GP goes into full development as a viable video podcasting platform, I'll be dabbling with that as well.

              Cheers :)

              Pat
            • Patrick McNa...
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 5, 2009
                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, matt1027 <box1027@...> wrote:

                > I'm writing out some instructions on how to listen and how to
                > subscribe to my podcast. Are there any aggregators besides iTunes
                > and Juice that I should mention as being available?
                >
                > It seems like anyone who would need to read these instructions would
                > also need things to be as simple as possible.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Matt

                Also don't forget to provide a direct download of the file. Podcatchers can be too complicated for many users but a one click link usually is simple enough for everyone. Most of the podcasts I listen to I download through direct links.