Re: [podcasters] Podcast Aggregators

  • Nobilis Reed
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2009
      On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 1:24 AM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
      > On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...> wrote:
      >> Another option is the iPhone apps that Wizzard is coming out with.  I
      >> haven't seen one in action yet, but the concept looks very
      >> user-friendly.
      >
      > There's a chicken-and-egg problem there, though.  The original
      > question was about simpler alternatives to iTunes.  If someone can't
      > figure out how to use iTunes to get content, they're not downloading
      > new iPhone apps, almost by definition.  >8->

      ::shrug:: Since I don't have an iPhone and don't use iTunes, I don't
      know the relative simplicity of them.

      Your original suggestion about listening on the website makes more sense.

      -----
      My first three novellas are now available for the Kindle.
      http://nobiliserotica.com/site/2009/attention-kindle-owners/
    • David Jackson
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
        Matt,
        Put a link to www.learntosubscribe.com

        Dave Jackson
        www.musicianscooler.com

        On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 11:54 PM, matt1027 <box1027@...> wrote:

        > I'm writing out some instructions on how to listen and how to
        > subscribe to my podcast. Are there any aggregators besides iTunes
        > and Juice that I should mention as being available?
        >
        > It seems like anyone who would need to read these instructions would
        > also need things to be as simple as possible.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Matt

      • Michael Johnson
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
          Dont forget zune marketplace
          mike
          crosscampusmnistry.com
          > I'm writing out some instructions on how to listen and how to
          > subscribe to my podcast. Are there any aggregators besides iTunes
          > and Juice that I should mention as being available?
          >
          > It seems like anyone who would need to read these instructions would
          > also need things to be as simple as possible.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Matt

        • Diana Goodavage
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
            I'm really glad you're doing that, because I've been trying to subscribe to podcasts for years. Nothing seems to work for me.

            Yes, I think there are a bunch of aggregators: Songbird, maybe? Or, I might be so mixed up here, I don't know an aggregator from a crocodile LOL.

            And, yes, please do make it as simple as possible. And, please post a link here on the list when it's ready. Thanks so much.

            Diana

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
              Based on Blubrry Statistics, the iTunes desktop application is still
              king. Zune Marketplace has made a small dent, but we still see web site
              traffic as the second largest user base to most podcasts. More
              important, we see new growth with mobile devices.

              The future of podcasting is definitely with mobile devices. We've seen
              increased usage in our Blubrry Statistics system from Blackberry,
              Android and Palm Pre (WebOS) phones. Each of these mobile devices have
              their own popular podcatchers. Blackberry has PodTrapper, Palm Pre has
              PrePod, and Android has a number of apps including DoggCatcher,
              BeyondPod and Google Labs "Listen". iPhone downloads have increased
              modestly in comparison, my theory is iPhone users are accustomed to
              using the iTunes app on their computer and are not taking advantage of
              the iTunes app on their phones as much as they could be. It may also be
              that Blackberry/Android/Palm Pre users don't have a complementary
              desktop software option, they can only consume podcasts from their
              respective devices. What ever the reason, Blackberry, Android and Palm
              Pre podcatchers are gaining traction faster than iTunes on the iPhone.

              I can't speak for the others, but I can say that the "Listen" app made
              by Google Labs makes the iTunes app on the iPhone outdated, restrictive
              and complicated. With Listen, you load the app, type in a search, then
              check the 'subscribe' box next to show name. Pretty simple.

              I've herd good things about the PrePod for Palm Pre and PodTrapper for
              Blackberry, but I haven't used them. Can someone reply with some
              instructions if they've used either of these apps?

              I am not sure what Apple has planned to compete with these other mobile
              podcatching apps, but with the 10MB download restriction in place on the
              ATnT network, the iPhone is going to become the least desired as far as
              mobile podcatching is concerned. Apple has demonstrated that it will not
              approve apps that compete with their built-in apps, so I'm not sure if
              the app Wizzard is making will make much of a difference. I presume the
              only way Wizzard will be able to get a podcatching app approved for the
              iPhone is if each show to have their own re-branded app listed in the
              App Store.

              I would suggest writing instructions for the podcatchers that you see
              the most popularity for in your statistics. The free basic statistics
              service from Blubrry will show you the top 10 client applications, which
              should be helpful for determining what should be in your list. I would
              also include instructions for iTunes on the iPhone, PrePod for Palm Pre,
              PodTrapper for Blackberry and Listen for Android. I also agree with
              providing instructions for Zune Marketplace and Google Reader.

              I'll be at PodCamp Pittsburgh this weekend and Blog World the following
              week. Anyone who wants to talk shop, please feel free to hunt me down.
              [:)]

              --angelo

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Diana Goodavage <dianagoodavage@...>
              wrote:

              > I'm really glad you're doing that, because I've been trying to
              subscribe to podcasts for years. Nothing seems to work for me.

              > Yes, I think there are a bunch of aggregators: Songbird, maybe? Or, I
              might be so mixed up here, I don't know an aggregator from a crocodile
              LOL.

              > And, yes, please do make it as simple as possible. And, please post a
              link here on the list when it's ready. Thanks so much.

              > Diana

            • Pat Cook
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
                ----- "angelomandato" <cio@...> wrote:

                > Based on Blubrry Statistics, the iTunes desktop application is still
                > king. Zune Marketplace has made a small dent, but we still see web
                > site
                > traffic as the second largest user base to most podcasts. More
                > important, we see new growth with mobile devices.

                Which is why I've been dabbling with 3GP for my videos. And if/when 4GP goes into full development as a viable video podcasting platform, I'll be dabbling with that as well.

                Cheers :)

                Pat
              • Patrick McNa...
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 5, 2009
                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, matt1027 <box1027@...> wrote:

                  > I'm writing out some instructions on how to listen and how to
                  > subscribe to my podcast. Are there any aggregators besides iTunes
                  > and Juice that I should mention as being available?
                  >
                  > It seems like anyone who would need to read these instructions would
                  > also need things to be as simple as possible.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Matt

                  Also don't forget to provide a direct download of the file. Podcatchers can be too complicated for many users but a one click link usually is simple enough for everyone. Most of the podcasts I listen to I download through direct links.