Re: [podcasters] Podcast Aggregators

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2009
      On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 11:54 PM, matt1027 <box1027@...> wrote:

      > It seems like anyone who would need to read these instructions would
      > also need things to be as simple as possible.

      If iTunes and Juice are too complicated for your intended audience,
      installing any other podcatcher is likely to be too complicated as
      well. My advice at that point is to punt on the "podcatching" option,
      and have:

      A.) A good Flash player on your site for each episode; and
      B.) A simple form field where people can opt-in to receive email
      notifications when you post a new episode. Feedblitz offers this very
      easily if you don't feel like managing your own notice list.

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • Nobilis Reed
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2009
        Another option is the iPhone apps that Wizzard is coming out with. I
        haven't seen one in action yet, but the concept looks very
        user-friendly.

        On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
        > On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 11:54 PM, matt1027 <box1027@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> It seems like anyone who would need to read these instructions would
        >> also need things to be as simple as possible.
        >
        > If iTunes and Juice are too complicated for your intended audience,
        > installing any other podcatcher is likely to be too complicated as
        > well.  My advice at that point is to punt on the "podcatching" option,
        > and have:
        >
        > A.) A good Flash player on your site for each episode; and
        > B.) A simple form field where people can opt-in to receive email
        > notifications when you post a new episode.  Feedblitz offers this very
        > easily if you don't feel like managing your own notice list.

        -----
        My first three novellas are now available for the Kindle.
        http://nobiliserotica.com/site/2009/attention-kindle-owners/
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2009
          On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...> wrote:
          > Another option is the iPhone apps that Wizzard is coming out with.  I
          > haven't seen one in action yet, but the concept looks very
          > user-friendly.

          There's a chicken-and-egg problem there, though. The original
          question was about simpler alternatives to iTunes. If someone can't
          figure out how to use iTunes to get content, they're not downloading
          new iPhone apps, almost by definition. >8->

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Nobilis Reed
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2009
            On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 1:24 AM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
            > On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...> wrote:
            >> Another option is the iPhone apps that Wizzard is coming out with.  I
            >> haven't seen one in action yet, but the concept looks very
            >> user-friendly.
            >
            > There's a chicken-and-egg problem there, though.  The original
            > question was about simpler alternatives to iTunes.  If someone can't
            > figure out how to use iTunes to get content, they're not downloading
            > new iPhone apps, almost by definition.  >8->

            ::shrug:: Since I don't have an iPhone and don't use iTunes, I don't
            know the relative simplicity of them.

            Your original suggestion about listening on the website makes more sense.

            -----
            My first three novellas are now available for the Kindle.
            http://nobiliserotica.com/site/2009/attention-kindle-owners/
          • David Jackson
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
              Matt,
              Put a link to www.learntosubscribe.com

              Dave Jackson
              www.musicianscooler.com

              On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 11:54 PM, matt1027 <box1027@...> wrote:

              > I'm writing out some instructions on how to listen and how to
              > subscribe to my podcast. Are there any aggregators besides iTunes
              > and Juice that I should mention as being available?
              >
              > It seems like anyone who would need to read these instructions would
              > also need things to be as simple as possible.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Matt

            • Michael Johnson
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
                Dont forget zune marketplace
                mike
                crosscampusmnistry.com
                > I'm writing out some instructions on how to listen and how to
                > subscribe to my podcast. Are there any aggregators besides iTunes
                > and Juice that I should mention as being available?
                >
                > It seems like anyone who would need to read these instructions would
                > also need things to be as simple as possible.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Matt

              • Diana Goodavage
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
                  I'm really glad you're doing that, because I've been trying to subscribe to podcasts for years. Nothing seems to work for me.

                  Yes, I think there are a bunch of aggregators: Songbird, maybe? Or, I might be so mixed up here, I don't know an aggregator from a crocodile LOL.

                  And, yes, please do make it as simple as possible. And, please post a link here on the list when it's ready. Thanks so much.

                  Diana

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
                    Based on Blubrry Statistics, the iTunes desktop application is still
                    king. Zune Marketplace has made a small dent, but we still see web site
                    traffic as the second largest user base to most podcasts. More
                    important, we see new growth with mobile devices.

                    The future of podcasting is definitely with mobile devices. We've seen
                    increased usage in our Blubrry Statistics system from Blackberry,
                    Android and Palm Pre (WebOS) phones. Each of these mobile devices have
                    their own popular podcatchers. Blackberry has PodTrapper, Palm Pre has
                    PrePod, and Android has a number of apps including DoggCatcher,
                    BeyondPod and Google Labs "Listen". iPhone downloads have increased
                    modestly in comparison, my theory is iPhone users are accustomed to
                    using the iTunes app on their computer and are not taking advantage of
                    the iTunes app on their phones as much as they could be. It may also be
                    that Blackberry/Android/Palm Pre users don't have a complementary
                    desktop software option, they can only consume podcasts from their
                    respective devices. What ever the reason, Blackberry, Android and Palm
                    Pre podcatchers are gaining traction faster than iTunes on the iPhone.

                    I can't speak for the others, but I can say that the "Listen" app made
                    by Google Labs makes the iTunes app on the iPhone outdated, restrictive
                    and complicated. With Listen, you load the app, type in a search, then
                    check the 'subscribe' box next to show name. Pretty simple.

                    I've herd good things about the PrePod for Palm Pre and PodTrapper for
                    Blackberry, but I haven't used them. Can someone reply with some
                    instructions if they've used either of these apps?

                    I am not sure what Apple has planned to compete with these other mobile
                    podcatching apps, but with the 10MB download restriction in place on the
                    ATnT network, the iPhone is going to become the least desired as far as
                    mobile podcatching is concerned. Apple has demonstrated that it will not
                    approve apps that compete with their built-in apps, so I'm not sure if
                    the app Wizzard is making will make much of a difference. I presume the
                    only way Wizzard will be able to get a podcatching app approved for the
                    iPhone is if each show to have their own re-branded app listed in the
                    App Store.

                    I would suggest writing instructions for the podcatchers that you see
                    the most popularity for in your statistics. The free basic statistics
                    service from Blubrry will show you the top 10 client applications, which
                    should be helpful for determining what should be in your list. I would
                    also include instructions for iTunes on the iPhone, PrePod for Palm Pre,
                    PodTrapper for Blackberry and Listen for Android. I also agree with
                    providing instructions for Zune Marketplace and Google Reader.

                    I'll be at PodCamp Pittsburgh this weekend and Blog World the following
                    week. Anyone who wants to talk shop, please feel free to hunt me down.
                    [:)]

                    --angelo

                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Diana Goodavage <dianagoodavage@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I'm really glad you're doing that, because I've been trying to
                    subscribe to podcasts for years. Nothing seems to work for me.

                    > Yes, I think there are a bunch of aggregators: Songbird, maybe? Or, I
                    might be so mixed up here, I don't know an aggregator from a crocodile
                    LOL.

                    > And, yes, please do make it as simple as possible. And, please post a
                    link here on the list when it's ready. Thanks so much.

                    > Diana

                  • Pat Cook
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
                      ----- "angelomandato" <cio@...> wrote:

                      > Based on Blubrry Statistics, the iTunes desktop application is still
                      > king. Zune Marketplace has made a small dent, but we still see web
                      > site
                      > traffic as the second largest user base to most podcasts. More
                      > important, we see new growth with mobile devices.

                      Which is why I've been dabbling with 3GP for my videos. And if/when 4GP goes into full development as a viable video podcasting platform, I'll be dabbling with that as well.

                      Cheers :)

                      Pat
                    • Patrick McNa...
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 5, 2009
                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, matt1027 <box1027@...> wrote:

                        > I'm writing out some instructions on how to listen and how to
                        > subscribe to my podcast. Are there any aggregators besides iTunes
                        > and Juice that I should mention as being available?
                        >
                        > It seems like anyone who would need to read these instructions would
                        > also need things to be as simple as possible.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Matt

                        Also don't forget to provide a direct download of the file. Podcatchers can be too complicated for many users but a one click link usually is simple enough for everyone. Most of the podcasts I listen to I download through direct links.