Re: [podcasters] Podcast Aggregators

  • Ben Straw
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2009
      How about Google Reader this is what I use to get over 100 podcasts that I listen to

      Ben Straw
      Ben's Tech Show - http://www.BensTechShow.com
      How 2 Podcast - http://www.how2podcast.com
      Mac Tip Podcast - http://www.MacTipPodcast.com
      Phone: 1-304-449-GEEK
      Skype: n3bb3n
      Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2009
        On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 11:54 PM, matt1027 <box1027@...> wrote:

        > It seems like anyone who would need to read these instructions would
        > also need things to be as simple as possible.

        If iTunes and Juice are too complicated for your intended audience,
        installing any other podcatcher is likely to be too complicated as
        well. My advice at that point is to punt on the "podcatching" option,
        and have:

        A.) A good Flash player on your site for each episode; and
        B.) A simple form field where people can opt-in to receive email
        notifications when you post a new episode. Feedblitz offers this very
        easily if you don't feel like managing your own notice list.

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • Nobilis Reed
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2009
          Another option is the iPhone apps that Wizzard is coming out with. I
          haven't seen one in action yet, but the concept looks very
          user-friendly.

          On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
          > On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 11:54 PM, matt1027 <box1027@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> It seems like anyone who would need to read these instructions would
          >> also need things to be as simple as possible.
          >
          > If iTunes and Juice are too complicated for your intended audience,
          > installing any other podcatcher is likely to be too complicated as
          > well.  My advice at that point is to punt on the "podcatching" option,
          > and have:
          >
          > A.) A good Flash player on your site for each episode; and
          > B.) A simple form field where people can opt-in to receive email
          > notifications when you post a new episode.  Feedblitz offers this very
          > easily if you don't feel like managing your own notice list.

          -----
          My first three novellas are now available for the Kindle.
          http://nobiliserotica.com/site/2009/attention-kindle-owners/
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2009
            On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...> wrote:
            > Another option is the iPhone apps that Wizzard is coming out with.  I
            > haven't seen one in action yet, but the concept looks very
            > user-friendly.

            There's a chicken-and-egg problem there, though. The original
            question was about simpler alternatives to iTunes. If someone can't
            figure out how to use iTunes to get content, they're not downloading
            new iPhone apps, almost by definition. >8->

            http://www.escapepod.org
          • Nobilis Reed
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2009
              On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 1:24 AM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
              > On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...> wrote:
              >> Another option is the iPhone apps that Wizzard is coming out with.  I
              >> haven't seen one in action yet, but the concept looks very
              >> user-friendly.
              >
              > There's a chicken-and-egg problem there, though.  The original
              > question was about simpler alternatives to iTunes.  If someone can't
              > figure out how to use iTunes to get content, they're not downloading
              > new iPhone apps, almost by definition.  >8->

              ::shrug:: Since I don't have an iPhone and don't use iTunes, I don't
              know the relative simplicity of them.

              Your original suggestion about listening on the website makes more sense.

              -----
              My first three novellas are now available for the Kindle.
              http://nobiliserotica.com/site/2009/attention-kindle-owners/
            • David Jackson
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
                Matt,
                Put a link to www.learntosubscribe.com

                Dave Jackson
                www.musicianscooler.com

                On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 11:54 PM, matt1027 <box1027@...> wrote:

                > I'm writing out some instructions on how to listen and how to
                > subscribe to my podcast. Are there any aggregators besides iTunes
                > and Juice that I should mention as being available?
                >
                > It seems like anyone who would need to read these instructions would
                > also need things to be as simple as possible.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Matt

              • Michael Johnson
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
                  Dont forget zune marketplace
                  mike
                  crosscampusmnistry.com
                  > I'm writing out some instructions on how to listen and how to
                  > subscribe to my podcast. Are there any aggregators besides iTunes
                  > and Juice that I should mention as being available?
                  >
                  > It seems like anyone who would need to read these instructions would
                  > also need things to be as simple as possible.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Matt

                • Diana Goodavage
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
                    I'm really glad you're doing that, because I've been trying to subscribe to podcasts for years. Nothing seems to work for me.

                    Yes, I think there are a bunch of aggregators: Songbird, maybe? Or, I might be so mixed up here, I don't know an aggregator from a crocodile LOL.

                    And, yes, please do make it as simple as possible. And, please post a link here on the list when it's ready. Thanks so much.

                    Diana

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
                      Based on Blubrry Statistics, the iTunes desktop application is still
                      king. Zune Marketplace has made a small dent, but we still see web site
                      traffic as the second largest user base to most podcasts. More
                      important, we see new growth with mobile devices.

                      The future of podcasting is definitely with mobile devices. We've seen
                      increased usage in our Blubrry Statistics system from Blackberry,
                      Android and Palm Pre (WebOS) phones. Each of these mobile devices have
                      their own popular podcatchers. Blackberry has PodTrapper, Palm Pre has
                      PrePod, and Android has a number of apps including DoggCatcher,
                      BeyondPod and Google Labs "Listen". iPhone downloads have increased
                      modestly in comparison, my theory is iPhone users are accustomed to
                      using the iTunes app on their computer and are not taking advantage of
                      the iTunes app on their phones as much as they could be. It may also be
                      that Blackberry/Android/Palm Pre users don't have a complementary
                      desktop software option, they can only consume podcasts from their
                      respective devices. What ever the reason, Blackberry, Android and Palm
                      Pre podcatchers are gaining traction faster than iTunes on the iPhone.

                      I can't speak for the others, but I can say that the "Listen" app made
                      by Google Labs makes the iTunes app on the iPhone outdated, restrictive
                      and complicated. With Listen, you load the app, type in a search, then
                      check the 'subscribe' box next to show name. Pretty simple.

                      I've herd good things about the PrePod for Palm Pre and PodTrapper for
                      Blackberry, but I haven't used them. Can someone reply with some
                      instructions if they've used either of these apps?

                      I am not sure what Apple has planned to compete with these other mobile
                      podcatching apps, but with the 10MB download restriction in place on the
                      ATnT network, the iPhone is going to become the least desired as far as
                      mobile podcatching is concerned. Apple has demonstrated that it will not
                      approve apps that compete with their built-in apps, so I'm not sure if
                      the app Wizzard is making will make much of a difference. I presume the
                      only way Wizzard will be able to get a podcatching app approved for the
                      iPhone is if each show to have their own re-branded app listed in the
                      App Store.

                      I would suggest writing instructions for the podcatchers that you see
                      the most popularity for in your statistics. The free basic statistics
                      service from Blubrry will show you the top 10 client applications, which
                      should be helpful for determining what should be in your list. I would
                      also include instructions for iTunes on the iPhone, PrePod for Palm Pre,
                      PodTrapper for Blackberry and Listen for Android. I also agree with
                      providing instructions for Zune Marketplace and Google Reader.

                      I'll be at PodCamp Pittsburgh this weekend and Blog World the following
                      week. Anyone who wants to talk shop, please feel free to hunt me down.
                      [:)]

                      --angelo

                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Diana Goodavage <dianagoodavage@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I'm really glad you're doing that, because I've been trying to
                      subscribe to podcasts for years. Nothing seems to work for me.

                      > Yes, I think there are a bunch of aggregators: Songbird, maybe? Or, I
                      might be so mixed up here, I don't know an aggregator from a crocodile
                      LOL.

                      > And, yes, please do make it as simple as possible. And, please post a
                      link here on the list when it's ready. Thanks so much.

                      > Diana

                    • Pat Cook
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
                        ----- "angelomandato" <cio@...> wrote:

                        > Based on Blubrry Statistics, the iTunes desktop application is still
                        > king. Zune Marketplace has made a small dent, but we still see web
                        > site
                        > traffic as the second largest user base to most podcasts. More
                        > important, we see new growth with mobile devices.

                        Which is why I've been dabbling with 3GP for my videos. And if/when 4GP goes into full development as a viable video podcasting platform, I'll be dabbling with that as well.

                        Cheers :)

                        Pat
                      • Patrick McNa...
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 5, 2009
                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, matt1027 <box1027@...> wrote:

                          > I'm writing out some instructions on how to listen and how to
                          > subscribe to my podcast. Are there any aggregators besides iTunes
                          > and Juice that I should mention as being available?
                          >
                          > It seems like anyone who would need to read these instructions would
                          > also need things to be as simple as possible.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Matt

                          Also don't forget to provide a direct download of the file. Podcatchers can be too complicated for many users but a one click link usually is simple enough for everyone. Most of the podcasts I listen to I download through direct links.