iTunes image in directory

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 29, 2009
      I've submitted two new podcast to iTunes. I'm using feedburner, and I'm made sure the URL to the image is correct. The podcasts have been accepted into iTunes, but the image doesn't show. I'm using 600X600 jpg in one and as a troubleshooting tactic I switch to 300X300 jpg in the other. I checked to make sure the tags are in my feed (again its feedburner this is almost automatic if you activate the right stuff).

      Any ideas? An issue with Apple?

      Dave Jackson
      www.schoolofpodcasting.com
    • angelomandato
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 30, 2009
        If you just overwrote the iTunes image on your server, iTunes can take
        up to a month to re-cache it. iTunes doesn't re-download images every
        time you ping, and it is understandable since they have so many listings
        to keep up to date. If you are using Blubrry PowerPress, you can upload
        a new iTunes image from within the settings page and PowerPress will
        give the new iTunes image a unique file name. The unique file name for
        the <itunes:image> URL gets around the iTunes caching issue (since not
        only did the file change, but the URL to the image as well), and you
        should see your image appear within 24-48 hours. Don't forget to ping
        iTunes once you upload a new iTunes image.

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <jacksongei@...> wrote:

        > I've submitted two new podcast to iTunes. I'm using feedburner, and
        I'm made sure the URL to the image is correct. The podcasts have been
        accepted into iTunes, but the image doesn't show. I'm using 600X600 jpg
        in one and as a troubleshooting tactic I switch to 300X300 jpg in the
        other. I checked to make sure the tags are in my feed (again its
        feedburner this is almost automatic if you activate the right stuff).

        > Any ideas? An issue with Apple?
        >
        > Dave Jackson
        > www.schoolofpodcasting.com

      • tunesent
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30, 2009
          might take a few days to show up
        • Jane Markham
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 2009
            Hi Dave,

            I had the same problem a couple of months back.  I checked my xml with a fine tooth comb and compared it with other podcasts I publish which were successfully displaying the artwork to see if I could spot a difference. I couldn't but I pinged some variations anyway...

            I eventually gave up. Fortunately my client was less interested in the Podcast aspect of the audio than using it on their website...phew. It was probably a month later that I idly checked back and found that the image had turned up! I understand that Apple has had an 'issue' with its artwork refreshing process.

            So - it's there in the listings a last and I expect yours will eventually find its way through the system but if anyone can tell me how you get the album artwork to show up in the moving tiles view, once people have subscribed to the podcast, I'd be really grateful...

            Jane
            Jane Markham
            Podcats
            Bronze Sony Radio Academy Award winner 2009
            for Best Internet Programme - RSPB Nature's Voice
            Producer
            www.podcats.co.uk
            0845 25 75 170

            This email is confidential and may well also be legally privileged.
            If you have received this email in error, you are in notice of its status.
            Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete
            this message from your system. Please do not copy or use it for any
            purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person: to do so
            could be a breach of confidence.
            Thank you for your co-operation.

            sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Podcats LLP or its associated companies.
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2009
              It did. First it showed up on the acutaly podcast page (but not in the search results). I am assuming it will eventually appear.

              Dave
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Jane Markham <jane@...> wrote:

              > Hi Dave,
              >
              > I had the same problem a couple of months back.  I checked my xml with a fine tooth comb and compared it with other podcasts I publish which were successfully displaying the artwork to see if I could spot a difference. I couldn't but I pinged some variations anyway...
              >
              > I eventually gave up. Fortunately my client was less interested in the Podcast aspect of the audio than using it on their website...phew. It was probably a month later that I idly checked back and found that the image had turned up! I understand that Apple has had an 'issue' with its artwork refreshing process.
              >
              > So - it's there in the listings a last and I expect yours will eventually find its way through the system but if anyone can tell me how you get the album artwork to show up in the moving tiles view, once people have subscribed to the podcast, I'd be really grateful...
              >
              > Jane
              > Jane Markham
              > Podcats
              > Bronze Sony Radio Academy Award winner 2009
              > for Best Internet Programme - RSPB Nature's Voice
              > Producer
              > www.podcats.co.uk
              > 0845 25 75 170
              >

              > This email is confidential and may well also be legally privileged.
              > If you have received this email in error, you are in notice of its status.
              > Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete
              > this message from your system. Please do not copy or use it for any
              > purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person: to do so
              > could be a breach of confidence.
              > Thank you for your co-operation.

              > sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Podcats LLP or its associated companies.

            • handyguyspodcast
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2009
                OK - I need to ask a dumb question. What image? Isn't the image in the iTunes listing embedded in the mp3 meta? Can I push other images up to iTunes?

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2009
                  No there is an image in each episode that is in the ID3 tags. Then there is an image that is shown in your listeing in the iTunes directory. The good news is, you just need patience. Currently the image shows up on my listing, but not in search results (the smaller one). I'm sure everything will eventually trickle in.