Skype Problem

  • Ian MacRae
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 24, 2009
      Hello folks

      I use Skype and Skype Recorder to record phone interviews for my various
      podcasts.

      Up 'till recently this has worked fine.

      But now I'm finding, with only some calls, the incoming caller is at an
      extremely high level so the audio clips badly after I import it into either
      Audacity or Adobe Audition.

      I've tried pulling the volume slider down on the Skype toolbar when
      recording and also dropping the levels on my sound card but I'm still
      getting distortion because of overloading.

      From my end, my voice is fine and clear which, I would think, indicates the
      fault isn't with the Skype Recorder program but with Skype itself.

      Is there some way of lowering the incoming audio volume or any other
      suggestions on how to fix this?

      Ian MacRae

    • Erk Pod
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 24, 2009
        Ian

        I have some questions which might help me to narrow it down. I haven't used
        Skype a lot lately since upgrading to a new version and I don't use Skype
        recorder.

        Are you running the latest version of Skype and Skype Recorder? Have you
        recently gone to a new version?

        Are you letting Skype control your audio (you shouldn't in my experience,
        leave that box unticked)

        Is the other person using a mixer and/or a pre-amp at their end?

        Are you able to record another way without using Skype Recorder?

        Are you using a mixer and/or a preamp at your end?

        --
        Erk, Sydney (Australia)

        Host of the Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo & Erk's Blast From The Past

        Producer of Judy's Blast FM.

        Find all 5 podcasts on Channel Erk. There is a podcast for everyone!

        http://www.channelerk.com
        erkpod@...

        Skype: erkpod
        Twitter: @erkpod (personal)
        Twitter: @channelerk (podcast updates)
        Voicemail: 02 8003 6905 (Australia)
        Voicemail: 661-524-5ERK (US)

        A member of the Association of Music Podcasting (AMP)
        http://musicpodcasting.org

      • Ian MacRae
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 24, 2009
          Hi Erk

          Thanks for your reply.

          Answers below

          Cheers,

          Ian

          (also Sydney)

          I have some questions which might help me to narrow it down. I haven't used
          Skype a lot lately since upgrading to a new version and I don't use Skype
          recorder.

          Are you running the latest version of Skype and Skype Recorder? Have you
          recently gone to a new version?

          +Am running, I think, most recent version 4.0.0.226

          Are you letting Skype control your audio (you shouldn't in my experience,
          leave that box unticked)

          +I'm pretty sure that box was unticked but now I've no idea where I found
          that box so I can't re-check.

          Is the other person using a mixer and/or a pre-amp at their end?

          +No...they're on the phone

          Are you able to record another way without using Skype Recorder?

          +I tried Pamela but found, whatever adjustment I made, my voice was
          over-modulated. The only other way is to go back to using a phone hybrid and
          using telephone connections.

          Are you using a mixer and/or a preamp at your end?

          Yes...

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 24, 2009
            Ian/all

            While it probably won't make a difference, open Skype and then go to Tools
            then Options then audio settings and untick the box for automatically adjust
            mic and speaker settings. Failing that, I wonder if there is a setting in
            Skype Recorder.

            We've now ruled out the person at the other end running too hot because they
            are on a mixer/preamp at the other end.

            What I do now is to run Skype into my mixer and give that a separate channel
            so I have more control over it if need be. That way, I can adjust their
            levels if they change because I know my levels for my channel.

            Isn't it strange (but good!) to see another Sydney-sider (and another
            Australian, for that matter) on this list!

            Hopefully someone else might have an answer for you.

            Erk

          • Ian MacRae
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 24, 2009
              Thanks Erk.

              I've yet to work out how to get the incoming Skype call into my mixer. I
              have a connection from the computer USB to the mixer and that allows me to
              record my side of the conversation but it doesn't for some reason send the
              Skype call through the mixer.

              Ian