Junk got added to feed

  • matt1027
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2009
      I just got a big shock.

      I've had my podcast up for about 11 days, using WordPress and
      podPress, and I have 5 posts with podcast episodes. I haven't gotten
      around to registering with iTunes so I have step-by-step instructions
      on the site how to subscribe manually.

      Manual subscription through iTunes has been working for me but I
      thought I would delete it and re-subscribe just to make sure that
      it's still working and anyone coming to the site and following the
      instructions would have good results.

      It didn't work which surprised me because it did before. I tried
      several times and no success.

      So I tried subscribing through Juice and that worked fine.

      So I logged in to Admin on WordPress and went to Feed/iTunes settings
      under podPress and looked around. Everything looked fine including
      the podcast feed url. I went ahead and hit the "Validate your Feed"
      button to check that out.

      I got a message from the feed validator at FeedValidator.org:

      Sorry
      This feed does not validate.
      line 210, column 0: XML parsing error: <unknown>:212:61: junk after
      document element [help]
      </rss>

      So, I scrolled down to line 210 to investigate.

      210 was a closing tag for RSS: </rss>
      211 was blank
      212 starts off with the following

      <!-- [ec36ac83687772ac241157982ff295d9 --><!-- 6018372521
      href="http://www.stcroixonline.com/business/images/_notes/main.jpg.php?doctors=1&pills=2082">generic
      href="http://www.stcroixonline.com/business/images/_notes/main.jpg.php?doctors=1&pills=4388">lunesta
      href="http://www.stcroixonline.com/business/images/_notes/main.jpg.php?doctors=1&pills=3251">lunesta
      href="http://www.stcroixonline.com/business/images/_notes/main.jpg.php?doctors=1&pills=470">buy
      href="http://www.stcroixonline.com/business/images/_notes/main.jpg.php?doctors=1&pills=448">buy
      href="http://www.stcroixonline.com/business/images/_notes/main.jpg.php?

      That junk continues down to fill up a total of 93 screens on my 19
      inch monitor.

      What in the world is going on?

      I have the current version of WordPress installed and have gone to a
      lot of work trying to follow the security recommendations.

      How did this happen? Where do I go from here?

      I guess I'll go to WordPress.org and search archives or Google for clues.

      Does anyone have any advice?

      Thanks,
      Matt
    • angelomandato
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 18, 2009
        I've seem similar junk like in the headers/footers of some free themes. Some of the folks who make them inject advertisements to still monetize from them. I got burned by this once a few years back, I now create all my WordPress themes from scratch rather than trust a theme from someone I don't know. The theme developers that do this are getting very savvy at hiding the code so you can't simply find it doing a text search. Things to look for are base64_decode() and eval() function calls in your theme's source code.

        There is a plugin on wordpress.org called AntiVirus that you may want to try. The name of the plugin is misleading, it does not check for viruses or worms, but it does check for these advertising injections in your theme that you're observing. If I could rename the plugin, I would call it the "Malicious Code Checker".

        A plugin could also be causing this, but as long as you're getting all your plugins from wordpress.org the chances of a plugin adding these ads is unlikely.

        We (Blubrry) wrote a plugin called "Subscribe Sidebar" that adds a 1-click iTunes subscription icon to your sidebar, as well as subscribe to Yahoo, Google and a follow on Twitter icon. Here's a direct link: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/subscribe-sidebar/ That may work better than the step by step instructions that you are having problems with.

        --angelo

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, matt1027 <box1027@...> wrote:

        > I just got a big shock.
        >
        > I've had my podcast up for about 11 days, using WordPress and
        > podPress, and I have 5 posts with podcast episodes. I haven't gotten
        > around to registering with iTunes so I have step-by-step instructions
        > on the site how to subscribe manually.
        >
        > Manual subscription through iTunes has been working for me but I
        > thought I would delete it and re-subscribe just to make sure that
        > it's still working and anyone coming to the site and following the
        > instructions would have good results.
        >
        > It didn't work which surprised me because it did before. I tried
        > several times and no success.
        >
        > So I tried subscribing through Juice and that worked fine.
        >
        > So I logged in to Admin on WordPress and went to Feed/iTunes settings
        > under podPress and looked around. Everything looked fine including
        > the podcast feed url. I went ahead and hit the "Validate your Feed"
        > button to check that out.
        >
        > I got a message from the feed validator at FeedValidator.org:
        >
        > Sorry
        > This feed does not validate.
        > line 210, column 0: XML parsing error: <unknown>:212:61: junk after
        > document element [help]
        > </rss>
        >
        > So, I scrolled down to line 210 to investigate.
        >
        > 210 was a closing tag for RSS: </rss>
        > 211 was blank
        > 212 starts off with the following
        >

        > <!-- [ec36ac83687772ac241157982ff295d9 --><!-- 6018372521
        > href="http://www.stcroixonline.com/business/images/_notes/main.jpg.php?doctors=1&pills=2082">generic
        > href="http://www.stcroixonline.com/business/images/_notes/main.jpg.php?doctors=1&pills=4388">lunesta
        > href="http://www.stcroixonline.com/business/images/_notes/main.jpg.php?doctors=1&pills=3251">lunesta
        > href="http://www.stcroixonline.com/business/images/_notes/main.jpg.php?doctors=1&pills=470">buy
        > href="http://www.stcroixonline.com/business/images/_notes/main.jpg.php?doctors=1&pills=448">buy
        > href="http://www.stcroixonline.com/business/images/_notes/main.jpg.php?
        >

        > That junk continues down to fill up a total of 93 screens on my 19
        > inch monitor.
        >
        > What in the world is going on?
        >
        > I have the current version of WordPress installed and have gone to a
        > lot of work trying to follow the security recommendations.
        >
        > How did this happen? Where do I go from here?
        >
        > I guess I'll go to WordPress.org and search archives or Google for clues.
        >
        > Does anyone have any advice?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Matt

      • Ben Straw
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 18, 2009
          Angelo, am I correct to assume that powerpress also creates its own feed like www.yourdomainname.com/feed/podcast so you can submit that feed to iTunes?

          Ben Straw
          Ben's Tech Show - http://www.BensTechShow.com
          How 2 Podcast - http://www.how2podcast.com
          Mac Tip Podcast - http://www.MacTipPodcast.com
          Phone: 1-304-449-GEEK
          Skype: n3bb3n
          Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

          ________________________________
> [...]

          > without a prescription< /a></li>< li><a
          > href="http://www.stcroixo nline.com/ business/ images/_notes/ main.jpg. php?doctors= 1&pills=470">buy
          > lunesta online</a></ li><li><a
          > href="http://www.stcroixo nline.com/ business/ images/_notes/ main.jpg. php?doctors= 1&pills=448">buy
          > lunesta without prescription< /a></li>< li><a
          > href="http://www.stcroixo nline.com/ business/ images/_notes/ main.jpg. php?
          >

          > That junk continues down to fill up a total of 93 screens on my 19
          > inch monitor.
          >
          > What in the world is going on?
          >
          > I have the current version of WordPress installed and have gone to a
          > lot of work trying to follow the security recommendations.
          >
          > How did this happen? Where do I go from here?
          >
          > I guess I'll go to WordPress.org and search archives or Google for clues.

        • angelomandato
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 19, 2009
            You are correct, PowerPress out of the box adds a new feed 'podcast'
            which is similar to your main blog feed except only posts with episodes
            are in it.

            If you are in advanced mode, you can add additional custom podcast feeds
            allowing you to name the feed to what ever you wish. For example, if you
            want to distribute PDFs and Video versions of your podcast in separate
            feeds, you could have the following:

            www.yourdomainname.com/feed/podcast
            www.yourdomainname.com/feed/pdf
            www.yourdomainname.com/feed/video