Re: [podcasters] Remote Recording

  • the Encaffeinated ONE
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 17, 2009
      Be careful with the IFP799 and the stupid software that comes to
      transfer stuff off of it, tho'.. I love mine, but the PC software
      frequently failed, and the device now causes my Macs to actually
      hardware-crash when I plug it in (under Leopard; it worked fine under
      Tiger).

      Consequently, my IFP799 is now relegated to the "I wish I could do
      something with this device", right beside my ZIP drives..

      -encaf1/MK

      On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Steve Riekeberg
      <missingintellect@...> wrote:
      > If you're a cheap bastard--err, I mean, college student--like me, while
      > you'd have to go the eBay route since they were discontinued, it still might
      > be worth looking to see if you can pick up a used iRiver IFP 700 or 800
      > series. I got an IFP-895 off of eBay about 2 years ago for $20 shipped, not
      > bad, especially when paired with an external mic, in my case an inexpensive
      > handheld. (Note: What makes these specific models special is they support
      > external microphones; while some newer players have input jacks, few support
      > external microphones, usually just line in.) It's old school--and,
      > admittedly, I didn't look up what one of these used iRivers are going
      > for--but I thought I'd throw it out there as it still might be worth
      > considering for the budget conscious. Regardless of what portable recorder,
      > depending on the environment, a handheld might be the way to go, especially
      > if you're looking to record interviews in noisy areas such as trade shows or
      > conventions.
      >
      > Have fun,
      >
      > Steve Riekeberg
      > Host, Geek Cred
      > <http://www.geekcred.net>
      >

      > On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:
      >

      >> Kenn, get one of these to go with it:
      >>
      >> http://tinyurl.com/r9qq2l
      >>
      >> The built-in mics sound fine, but this Sony add-on gives a good boost to
      >> the volume, and it plugs very nicely right into the top of the recorder
      >> (I can record with the recorder in my shirt pocket and the mics sticking
      >> out - very nice!).
      >>
      >> ---Dan

    • Kenn Crawford
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 17, 2009
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 18, 2009
          All of the interviews that I've conducted for the show have been recorded remotely -- in cafes, hotels, restaurants, the like -- and I've been using the TASCAM HD-P2, which I purchased when it first came out for $1,500, but which now runs for about $800. You'll need decent mikes for the rig, but the sucker runs on four rechargeable AA batteries and has two XLRs and built-in time code if you're interested in doubling the unit up for video production. Records everything onto Compact Flash and you can just swap your files onto your computer in an instant. I've never had any problems with it and it has survived some rather strange scenarios.

          What's weird is that I've never met anybody else who uses this. Plenty of Edirol users that I run into from NPR and WNYC. But I've yet to see a single soul use an HD-P2. I'm sure I can't be the only one!

          Thanks and all best,

          Edward Champion
          THE BAT SEGUNDO SHOW
          www.batsegundo.com