Remote Recording

  • Kenn Crawford
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 16, 2009
      Hi guys
      What is a good, inexpensive, battery operated recorder?
      I am in the process of creating some videos but my DV camcorder does not
      have an external mic option. Using the built-in mic is too noisy and
      dragging a laptop with me to use a mic via my Fasttrack USB is a pain,
      especially when some of my locations are up in the mountains, so the less
      weight I have to carry the better :)

      A small, standalone recorder that has it's own mic, or allows you to hook up
      an external mic, seems the way to go. I figured the best place to get
      opinions is from podcasters because some of you guys do remote recordings.
      What are your recommendations for a standalone recorder and approx how much
      does it cost?

      Thanks,
      Kenn
    • Dan Hughes
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 16, 2009
        Kenn asks,
        -------------------------
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 16, 2009
          Wow, that's an impressive little rig and perfect for what I need. I'm
          getting one of them for sure :)
          Thanks
          Kenn

          > What are your recommendations for a standalone recorder and approx how
          > much does it cost?

        • Dan Hughes
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 16, 2009
            Kenn, get one of these to go with it:

            http://tinyurl.com/r9qq2l

            The built-in mics sound fine, but this Sony add-on gives a good boost to
            the volume, and it plugs very nicely right into the top of the recorder
            (I can record with the recorder in my shirt pocket and the mics sticking
            out - very nice!).

            ---Dan

          • Steve Riekeberg
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 16, 2009
              If you're a cheap bastard--err, I mean, college student--like me, while
              you'd have to go the eBay route since they were discontinued, it still might
              be worth looking to see if you can pick up a used iRiver IFP 700 or 800
              series. I got an IFP-895 off of eBay about 2 years ago for $20 shipped, not
              bad, especially when paired with an external mic, in my case an inexpensive
              handheld. (Note: What makes these specific models special is they support
              external microphones; while some newer players have input jacks, few support
              external microphones, usually just line in.) It's old school--and,
              admittedly, I didn't look up what one of these used iRivers are going
              for--but I thought I'd throw it out there as it still might be worth
              considering for the budget conscious. Regardless of what portable recorder,
              depending on the environment, a handheld might be the way to go, especially
              if you're looking to record interviews in noisy areas such as trade shows or
              conventions.

              Have fun,

              Steve Riekeberg
              Host, Geek Cred
              <http://www.geekcred.net>

              On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

              > Kenn, get one of these to go with it:
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/r9qq2l
              >
              > The built-in mics sound fine, but this Sony add-on gives a good boost to
              > the volume, and it plugs very nicely right into the top of the recorder
              > (I can record with the recorder in my shirt pocket and the mics sticking
              > out - very nice!).
              >
              > ---Dan

            • Dan Hughes
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 16, 2009
                Steve, the IFP-895 brings $60 and more, plus shipping, on eBay now. And
                it better have the instructions, because that iRiver button system is
                impossible to navigate without step-by-steps.

                The IFP-899 (with 1gig memory) brings over $120!

                ---Dan
              • Steve Riekeberg
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 16, 2009
                  Eek! That's nuts! There were some insanely inflated prices when I got mine
                  on some other auctions, but there were a few reasonable ones, maybe not now,
                  I don't know. Keep an eye out? :/

                  Ah, well, I tried... *sigh*

                  Steve Riekeberg
                  Host, Geek Cred
                  <http://www.geekcred.net>

                  On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

                  > Steve, the IFP-895 brings $60 and more, plus shipping, on eBay now. And
                  > it better have the instructions, because that iRiver button system is
                  > impossible to navigate without step-by-steps.
                  >
                  > The IFP-899 (with 1gig memory) brings over $120!
                  >
                  > ---Dan

                • Kenn Crawford
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 16, 2009
                    I am not a college student but still a cheap bastard LOL My budget is very
                    limited right now when it comes to buying more gear so the less I have to
                    spend the better :) Maybe I could swap one of my studio mics for a recorder
                    :)

                    I checked the Canadian site for the Olympus recorder and they don't have it
                    (discontinued). Not sure if the US site delivers to Canada and if it does,
                    when all is said and done, the price goes way up. Shipping is higher and
                    then taxes and duty are added at the border and that kills us :(
                    I checked ebay for the olympus and there was 1 for 99 bucks.

                    I live out in the country and my only internet option is dialup and it is
                    painfully slow. Top speed is 26.4 Kbps, which means roughly half and hour to
                    download an MP3 LOL What's worse is the high speed lines stop about 2
                    kilometers from where I live (about a mile) with no plans to extend coverage
                    in the near future. That sucks! Anyway, looking for stuff on sites that are
                    content rich, like ebay and music stores, is sloooowwwww.... type in a
                    search, go make a coffee LOL so that is why I was hoping to get some ideas
                    to narrow down my search.

                    I just thought of something...has anyone ever tried using a cellphone as a
                    recorder? I have a Blackberry Pearl and a Rumour with an 8 gig SD card. I
                    think the rumour has the headset option....I wonder if using one of them
                    would work or would it sound too tinny? I should charge them up and try it
                    just for giggles :)

                    Just thinking out loud, thanks for the options so far
                    Kenn

                    > If you're a cheap bastard--err, I mean, college student--like me, while
                    > you'd have to go the eBay route since they were discontinued, it still
                    > might
                    > be worth looking to see if you can pick up a used iRiver IFP 700 or 800
                    > series. I got an IFP-895 off of eBay about 2 years ago for $20 shipped,
                    > not
                    > bad, especially when paired with an external mic, in my case an
                    > inexpensive
                    > handheld. (Note: What makes these specific models special is they support
                    > external microphones; while some newer players have input jacks, few
                    > support
                    > external microphones, usually just line in.) It's old school--and,
                    > admittedly, I didn't look up what one of these used iRivers are going
                    > for--but I thought I'd throw it out there as it still might be worth
                    > considering for the budget conscious. Regardless of what portable
                    > recorder,
                    > depending on the environment, a handheld might be the way to go,
                    > especially
                    > if you're looking to record interviews in noisy areas such as trade shows
                    > or
                    > conventions.
                    >
                    > Have fun,
                    >
                    > Steve Riekeberg
                    > Host, Geek Cred
                    > <http://www.geekcred.net>

                  • Ben Straw
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 16, 2009
                      The only problem I have with the Olympus WS-321M is that it records in WMA (Windows Media Audio) and not PCM (WAV). Not my first choice for recording a podcast in, and then try to import the file to edit on a Mac editing maybe a pain (I'm not trying to be a apple fan boy, But I just dont like the encoding format)

                      Ben Straw
                      Ben's Tech Show - http://www.BensTechShow.com
                      How 2 Podcast - http://www.how2podcast.com
                      Mac Tip Podcast - http://www.MacTipPodcast.com
                      Phone: 1-304-449-GEEK
                      Skype: n3bb3n
                      Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 16, 2009
                        Ben says,
                        ------------------------------
                        The only problem I have with the Olympus WS-321M is that it records in
                        WMA (Windows Media Audio) and not PCM (WAV). Not my first choice for
                        recording a podcast in, and then try to import the file to edit on a Mac
                        editing maybe a pain (I'm not trying to be a apple fan boy, But I just
                        dont like the encoding format)

                        ------------------------------
                        Good point, if you're using a Mac. I plug a good mic (EV-RE50 or Shure
                        SM58) into the Olympus to record, then I pull the track into Adobe
                        Audition, do my editing, and save it as an MP3. I'm quite satisfied with
                        the resulting sound quality.

                        I guess that the WMA format is even more condensed than MP3 (meaning you
                        can record longer with WMA than MP3).

                        ---Dan

                      • Martin McKeay
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 16, 2009
                          I have an iRiver 895 and a Giant Squid stereo mic I keep in my travel pack
                          for any interview opportunities that come up. I got mine new new they were
                          a lot more expensive. I've recorded several interviews with this setup when
                          I either didn't have my Zoom H4 handy or the batteries were dead. It only
                          takes one AA battery and will record for hours on it. It records as an MP3
                          as well. The mic and the iRiver together weigh about 6 oz. which is why it
                          makes such a great emergency podcast rig.

                          Martin

                          Martin McKeay
                          CISSP, GSNA, QSA
                          Network Security Blog and Podcast
                          http://www.mckeay.net
                          http://netsecpodcast.com
                          Twitter: @McKeay
                          Cell: 707-495-7926

                          On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Steve Riekeberg <missingintellect@...
                          > wrote:

                          > If you're a cheap bastard--err, I mean, college student--like me, while
                          > you'd have to go the eBay route since they were discontinued, it still
                          > might
                          > be worth looking to see if you can pick up a used iRiver IFP 700 or 800
                          > series. I got an IFP-895 off of eBay about 2 years ago for $20 shipped, not
                          > bad, especially when paired with an external mic, in my case an inexpensive
                          > handheld. (Note: What makes these specific models special is they support
                          > external microphones; while some newer players have input jacks, few
                          > support
                          > external microphones, usually just line in.) It's old school--and,
                          > admittedly, I didn't look up what one of these used iRivers are going
                          > for--but I thought I'd throw it out there as it still might be worth
                          > considering for the budget conscious. Regardless of what portable recorder,
                          > depending on the environment, a handheld might be the way to go, especially
                          > if you're looking to record interviews in noisy areas such as trade shows
                          > or
                          > conventions.
                          >
                          > Have fun,
                          >
                          > Steve Riekeberg
                          > Host, Geek Cred
                          > <http://www.geekcred.net>
                          >

                          > On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:
                          >

                          > > Kenn, get one of these to go with it:
                          > >
                          > > http://tinyurl.com/r9qq2l
                          > >
                          > > The built-in mics sound fine, but this Sony add-on gives a good boost to
                          > > the volume, and it plugs very nicely right into the top of the recorder
                          > > (I can record with the recorder in my shirt pocket and the mics sticking
                          > > out - very nice!).
                          > >
                          > > ---Dan

                        • the Encaffeinated ONE
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 17, 2009
                            Be careful with the IFP799 and the stupid software that comes to
                            transfer stuff off of it, tho'.. I love mine, but the PC software
                            frequently failed, and the device now causes my Macs to actually
                            hardware-crash when I plug it in (under Leopard; it worked fine under
                            Tiger).

                            Consequently, my IFP799 is now relegated to the "I wish I could do
                            something with this device", right beside my ZIP drives..

                            -encaf1/MK

                            On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Steve Riekeberg
                            <missingintellect@...> wrote:
                            > If you're a cheap bastard--err, I mean, college student--like me, while
                            > you'd have to go the eBay route since they were discontinued, it still might
                            > be worth looking to see if you can pick up a used iRiver IFP 700 or 800
                            > series. I got an IFP-895 off of eBay about 2 years ago for $20 shipped, not
                            > bad, especially when paired with an external mic, in my case an inexpensive
                            > handheld. (Note: What makes these specific models special is they support
                            > external microphones; while some newer players have input jacks, few support
                            > external microphones, usually just line in.) It's old school--and,
                            > admittedly, I didn't look up what one of these used iRivers are going
                            > for--but I thought I'd throw it out there as it still might be worth
                            > considering for the budget conscious. Regardless of what portable recorder,
                            > depending on the environment, a handheld might be the way to go, especially
                            > if you're looking to record interviews in noisy areas such as trade shows or
                            > conventions.
                            >
                            > Have fun,
                            >
                            > Steve Riekeberg
                            > Host, Geek Cred
                            > <http://www.geekcred.net>
                            >

                            > On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:
                            >

                            >> Kenn, get one of these to go with it:
                            >>
                            >> http://tinyurl.com/r9qq2l
                            >>
                            >> The built-in mics sound fine, but this Sony add-on gives a good boost to
                            >> the volume, and it plugs very nicely right into the top of the recorder
                            >> (I can record with the recorder in my shirt pocket and the mics sticking
                            >> out - very nice!).
                            >>
                            >> ---Dan

                          • Kenn Crawford
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 17, 2009
                              From: "the Encaffeinated ONE" <encaf1@...>

                              > Consequently, my IFP799 is now relegated to the "I wish I could do
                              > something with this device",

                              Send it to me....there's something to do with it LOL :o)

                              Kenn
                            • arizona_jim
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 18, 2009
                                All of the interviews that I've conducted for the show have been recorded remotely -- in cafes, hotels, restaurants, the like -- and I've been using the TASCAM HD-P2, which I purchased when it first came out for $1,500, but which now runs for about $800. You'll need decent mikes for the rig, but the sucker runs on four rechargeable AA batteries and has two XLRs and built-in time code if you're interested in doubling the unit up for video production. Records everything onto Compact Flash and you can just swap your files onto your computer in an instant. I've never had any problems with it and it has survived some rather strange scenarios.

                                What's weird is that I've never met anybody else who uses this. Plenty of Edirol users that I run into from NPR and WNYC. But I've yet to see a single soul use an HD-P2. I'm sure I can't be the only one!

                                Thanks and all best,

                                Edward Champion
                                THE BAT SEGUNDO SHOW
                                www.batsegundo.com