H2?

  • Dan Hughes
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 14, 2009
      Mike asks:
      -------------------------
      Someone has privately suggested a Getting a Zoom H2. I'm tempted, but
      limted by the price. What do you guy think?
      -------------------------

      I have one. It's fine. But I also have an Olympus that I like better,
      because I think the sound is top-rate and the recorder is much smaller
      than the H2:

      http://tinyurl.com/n7t8mu

      It has built-in stereo mics, and also a stereo 1/8-inch jack to plug in
      an external mic. I use a Y-adapter to plug in two mics.

      ---Dan

    • Richard Amirault
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 14, 2009
        > Mike asks:
        > -------------------------
        > Someone has privately suggested a Getting a Zoom H2. I'm tempted, but
        > limted by the price. What do you guy think?
        > -------------------------

        The Zoom H2 is cheaper now than it has ever been. It was well worth what is
        used to cost, and more so now. I have the Edirol R-09 which cost twice as
        much as the Zoom H2. I love the R-09, but just got an H-2 as a "backup"
        unit.

        Smaller, cheaper "digital voice recorders" can be used, but you won't regret
        purchasing a top quality piece of equipment like the H-2.

        Richard Amirault
        N1JDU
        http://bostonfandom.org
      • Martin McKeay
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 14, 2009
          I've done close to 50 interviews with an H4 and a Shure PG58 in the last 2
          years, and I'll say you'd be hard pressed to beat it. I do most of my
          interviews on crowded show room floors at security conventions like Black
          Hat and RSA, and between the two I get some pretty good sound in a very
          portable package. It also works very well as a sound card for both my Mac
          and my Windows systems, feeding directly into Audacity when I break out the
          laptop.

          I will say that what I haven't done is use the H4 with the built in mics. I
          played with them a little when I first got the Zoom and found them to be too
          sensitive; if someone tapped the table, the mics picked it up. If someone 10
          feet away cleared their throat, the mics captured it. You get the picture.
          And the one feature that the H4 is missing that really bugs me is any sort
          of time stamp; it doesn't have a clock built in and marks every file with
          the same time and date. I believe the H4n has fixed this issue.

          Martin

          Martin McKeay
          CISSP, GSNA, QSA
          Network Security Blog and Podcast
          http://www.mckeay.net
          http://netsecpodcast.com
          Twitter: @McKeay
          Cell: 707-495-7926

          On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

          > Mike asks:
          > -------------------------
          > Someone has privately suggested a Getting a Zoom H2. I'm tempted, but
          > limted by the price. What do you guy think?
          > -------------------------
          >
          > I have one. It's fine. But I also have an Olympus that I like better,
          > because I think the sound is top-rate and the recorder is much smaller
          > than the H2:
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/n7t8mu
          >
          > It has built-in stereo mics, and also a stereo 1/8-inch jack to plug in
          > an external mic. I use a Y-adapter to plug in two mics.
          >
          > ---Dan

        • Rich
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 14, 2009
            On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 19:24 -0700, Martin McKeay wrote:

            I have an H4. I does so many things. Love it.

            Plus the price was right.

            Rich...

          • Jonathon_M_Johnson@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 16, 2009
              Hello-

              I see that the Olympus, that Dan likes better, uses 1 AAA battery.

              How long does the battery last?

              Jonathon M. Johnson
              Colorado