Recomendations for Podiobooks set up

  • windytwit
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 14, 2009
      I've recently discovered that there is a significant issue with current my Microphone set up that will affect quality. (I have to boost the Volume alot in post, after Maxing all the inputs.)

      I'm not wanting to spend too much on it. My upper Limit is UK£150. Any Recommendations for a PodioBooks setup?

      My voice is quiet when I record. But I'm planning to record when the house is empty.

      Mike Sharpe
      MikeSharpeWriter.com
    • Ben Straw
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 14, 2009
        One question, what microphone do you currently use?
        If I was going to suggest mic with out knowing what you use! I would recommend a Shure SM58, Just take a look at some youtube.com videos of this mic and see how well this microphone takes a beating, its a kid proof mic, even Shure saysNine Lives Included. and hey its a great sounding mic, about 75% of the worlds singers or speakers use this microphone. All for around £89.99
        Amazon UK link provided below

        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shure-SM58-LC-SM58-Vocal-Microphone/dp/B000CZ0R42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252954472&sr=8-1

        Ben Straw
        Ben's Tech Show - http://www.BensTechShow.com
        How 2 Podcast - http://www.how2podcast.com
        Mac Tip Podcast - http://www.MacTipPodcast.com
        Phone: 1-304-449-GEEK
        Skype: n3bb3n
        Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 14, 2009
          I'm using a 25-30 year old Shure mic (My dad got it 2nd hand, before I was born, and I'm 25), and I'm one of the was the kids who dented it. It still works, but the Level is low with a Tascam US-144, using the large jack, not XLR. It hardly registers with my voice when I'm reading, it does register. Here is the reading, before and after Post: http://community.podiobooks.com/group/mentorshipprogram/forum/topics/2001-first-reading

          I'm borrowing all this hardware, so I'll be buying stuff for myself.

          Mike

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Ben Straw <Nebula1183@...> wrote:

          > One question, what microphone do you currently use?
          > If I was going to suggest mic with out knowing what you use! I would recommend a Shure SM58, Just take a look at some youtube.com videos of this mic and see how well this microphone takes a beating, its a kid proof mic, even Shure saysNine Lives Included. and hey its a great sounding mic, about 75% of the worlds singers or speakers use this microphone. All for around £89.99
          > Amazon UK link provided below
          >
          > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shure-SM58-LC-SM58-Vocal-Microphone/dp/B000CZ0R42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252954472&sr=8-1
          >

          > Ben Straw
          > Ben's Tech Show - http://www.BensTechShow.com
          > How 2 Podcast - http://www.how2podcast.com
          > Mac Tip Podcast - http://www.MacTipPodcast.com
          > Phone: 1-304-449-GEEK
          > Skype: n3bb3n
          > Twitter: twitter.com/nebben
          >

          > ________________________________

        • David Grizzly Smith
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 14, 2009
            It was 14 Sep 2009, when windytwit commented:

            > I've recently discovered that there is a significant issue with current my
            > Microphone set up that will affect quality. (I have to boost the Volume
            > alot in post, after Maxing all the inputs.)
            >
            > I'm not wanting to spend too much on it. My upper Limit is UK£150. Any
            > Recommendations for a PodioBooks setup?
            >
            > My voice is quiet when I record. But I'm planning to record when the house
            > is empty.

            If my understanding of current conversion rates is correct, you'd do well
            with a Samson Zoom H2 or H4n. Recording separate from your computer can
            open up useful options.

            --

            grizzly at grizzlysgrowls dot com
            Grizzly's Podcasts & Stories: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 14, 2009
              30 years isnt that bad, I have mics from the 50's, 60's, and 70's that sound great, although they where meant to last. But in your case it sounds like the mic element within the mic its going. You could repair it verse buying a new mic, if you have sentimental value to the mic.
              As far as price for the repair, its hard to tell it all depends on if you take it to somone or if you do the job your self.
              P.S. A word of advise use XLR to record, 1/4 is a unbalanced signal and can pick up noise like the whining in the background of your recording.

              Ben Straw
              Ben's Tech Show - http://www.BensTechShow.com
              How 2 Podcast - http://www.how2podcast.com
              Mac Tip Podcast - http://www.MacTipPodcast.com
              Phone: 1-304-449-GEEK
              Skype: n3bb3n
              Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

              ________________________________
              I'm using a 25-30 year old Shure mic (My dad got it 2nd hand, before I was born, and I'm 25), and I'm one of the was the kids who dented it. It still works, but the Level is low with a Tascam US-144, using the large jack, not XLR. It hardly registers with my voice when I'm reading, it does register. Here is the reading, before and after Post: http://community. podiobooks. com/group/ mentorshipprogra m/forum/topics/ 2001-first- reading

              I'm borrowing all this hardware, so I'll be buying stuff for myself.

              Mike

              --- In podcasters@yahoogro ups.com, Ben Straw <Nebula1183@ ...> wrote:

              > One question, what microphone do you currently use?
              > If I was going to suggest mic with out knowing what you use! I would recommend a Shure SM58, Just take a look at some youtube.com videos of this mic and see how well this microphone takes a beating, its a kid proof mic, even Shure saysNine Lives Included. and hey its a great sounding mic, about 75% of the worlds singers or speakers use this microphone. All for around £89.99
              > Amazon UK link provided below
              >
              > http://www.amazon. co.uk/Shure- SM58-LC-SM58- Vocal-Microphone /dp/B000CZ0R42/ ref=sr_1_ 1?ie=UTF8& s=electronics& qid=1252954472& sr=8-1
              >

              > Ben Straw
              > Ben's Tech Show - http://www.BensTechShow.com
              > How 2 Podcast - http://www.how2podcast.com
              > Mac Tip Podcast - http://www.MacTipPodcast.com
              > Phone: 1-304-449-GEEK
              > Skype: n3bb3n
              > Twitter: twitter.com/ nebben
              >

              > ____________ _________ _________ __

            • Dan Hughes
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 14, 2009
                Mike, I have an audio board with both 1/4-inch and XLR inputs, and when I
                plugged a mic into the 1/4-inch jack, the volume was WAY low. Somebody
                told me that the 1/4-inch jack has a different impedance that does not
                match with microphones.

                That might be your problem, too. Try a mic with an XLR plug (a dynamic,
                not a condenser) and see if the problem goes away!

                ---Dan, http://danhughes.net
              • windytwit
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 14, 2009
                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

                  > Mike, I have an audio board with both 1/4-inch and XLR inputs, and when I
                  > plugged a mic into the 1/4-inch jack, the volume was WAY low. Somebody
                  > told me that the 1/4-inch jack has a different impedance that does not
                  > match with microphones.
                  >
                  > That might be your problem, too. Try a mic with an XLR plug (a dynamic,
                  > not a condenser) and see if the problem goes away!
                  >
                  > ---Dan, http://danhughes.net

                  I may buy a XLR Lead, just because it is a XLR Plug on the Base of Mic.

                  Someone has privatly suggested a Getting a Zoom H2. I'm tempted, but limted by the price. What do you guy think?