Re: [podcasters] Optional low-bandwidth file

  • matt1027
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 26, 2009
      At 10:19 PM 8/26/2009, you wrote:
      >Have you had a significant number of requests for this from your audience?
      >
      >I know it's a common habit on my own part to try to anticipate and
      >solve problems before establishing for certain that the problems
      >exist. A quick Googling says:
      >"US broadband penetration grew to 94.65% in May 2009. Dial-up users
      >connecting at 56Kbps or less now make up 5.35% of active Internet
      >users." (Source:
      ><http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0906/>http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0906/)
      >
      >My spidey sense tells me that most of those 5.35% are not likely to be
      >active podcast listeners. If you have reason to believe that the lack
      >of a lower-quality, faster-downloading option for your podcast is
      >impeding your audience growth or other goals, and that putting work
      >into it is the next logical step, then by all means rock on, sir. To
      >me it just seems a bit superfluous.

      Well that is very interesting. I didn't expect it. However I am
      expecting a lot of traffic from outside U.S. because I get a lot of
      traffic on my other website from outside US and I figured they would
      be more likely to have slow connections.

      I have StatCounter and I don't think there is any indication of what
      speed people are connecting at. That would be nice.

      Matt

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 26, 2009
        On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 1:41 AM, Kevin<sisco83@...> wrote:
        > I believe we must consider our dial-up listeners.  It is good to be prepared.

        How many do you have?

        I use Google Analytics, and I can tell you how many I have. Of 20,801
        visits to my site in the past 30 days, 346 were at dialup speeds.
        That's 1.66%.

        During these same 30 days a year ago, the percentage was 2.35%.

        I personally don't think it makes sense to make my Web interface more
        complicated for the convenience of a small-and-dwindling percentage of
        my audience. That's improvement in the wrong direction. Particularly
        without even asking them if it's something that they *want*.

        Consider your words: "our listeners." That means they're already
        downloading your files, right?

        I ask again: is there any listener demand for this? Or are we just
        inventing problems that don't exist?

        http://www.escapepod.org
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 26, 2009
          On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 2:14 AM, matt1027<box1027@...> wrote:

          > Well that is very interesting.  I didn't expect it.  However I am
          > expecting a lot of traffic from outside U.S. because I get a lot of
          > traffic on my other website from outside US and I figured they would
          > be more likely to have slow connections.

          People from outside the US are *more* likely to have fast connections.
          As of a year ago, out of the top 30 industrial nations, the US ranked
          15th in broadband penetration, speed, and price. (Source:
          http://www.itif.org/index.php?id=142)

          > I have StatCounter and I don't think there is any indication of what
          > speed people are connecting at.  That would be nice.

          Use Google Analytics. It won't tell you anything about your MP3
          downloads, but it'll give you a wealth of information about your Web
          site visitors and their browsing patterns.

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Richard Amirault
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 27, 2009
            From: "matt1027"

            > After looking at a Download Time Calculator, I'm thinking about
            > making an optional low-bandwidth file available for people who are
            > still using dial-up modems.
            (snip)
            > Any thoughts on this?

            Something else to consider ... if all a "listener" want's to do is listen on
            his computer (not on a portable device) than your current bandwidth file
            could be just fine.

            You can configure Quicktime (as one example) to stream mp3 files. It will
            start playing as soon as the download starts, and since it's just voice (I
            assume) the slow download never gets "ahead" of the playback.

            Richard Amirault
            Boston, MA, USA
            http://n1jdu.org
            http://bostonfandom.org