Re: [podcasters] Optional low-bandwidth file

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 26, 2009
      I believe we must consider our dial-up listeners. It is good to be prepared.

      Kevin
      sisco83@...
      http://www.gcast.com/u/kjsisco

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 26, 2009
        At 10:19 PM 8/26/2009, you wrote:
        >Have you had a significant number of requests for this from your audience?
        >
        >I know it's a common habit on my own part to try to anticipate and
        >solve problems before establishing for certain that the problems
        >exist. A quick Googling says:
        >"US broadband penetration grew to 94.65% in May 2009. Dial-up users
        >connecting at 56Kbps or less now make up 5.35% of active Internet
        >users." (Source:
        ><http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0906/>http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0906/)
        >
        >My spidey sense tells me that most of those 5.35% are not likely to be
        >active podcast listeners. If you have reason to believe that the lack
        >of a lower-quality, faster-downloading option for your podcast is
        >impeding your audience growth or other goals, and that putting work
        >into it is the next logical step, then by all means rock on, sir. To
        >me it just seems a bit superfluous.

        Well that is very interesting. I didn't expect it. However I am
        expecting a lot of traffic from outside U.S. because I get a lot of
        traffic on my other website from outside US and I figured they would
        be more likely to have slow connections.

        I have StatCounter and I don't think there is any indication of what
        speed people are connecting at. That would be nice.

        Matt

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 26, 2009
          On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 1:41 AM, Kevin<sisco83@...> wrote:
          > I believe we must consider our dial-up listeners.  It is good to be prepared.

          How many do you have?

          I use Google Analytics, and I can tell you how many I have. Of 20,801
          visits to my site in the past 30 days, 346 were at dialup speeds.
          That's 1.66%.

          During these same 30 days a year ago, the percentage was 2.35%.

          I personally don't think it makes sense to make my Web interface more
          complicated for the convenience of a small-and-dwindling percentage of
          my audience. That's improvement in the wrong direction. Particularly
          without even asking them if it's something that they *want*.

          Consider your words: "our listeners." That means they're already
          downloading your files, right?

          I ask again: is there any listener demand for this? Or are we just
          inventing problems that don't exist?

          http://www.escapepod.org
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 26, 2009
            On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 2:14 AM, matt1027<box1027@...> wrote:

            > Well that is very interesting.  I didn't expect it.  However I am
            > expecting a lot of traffic from outside U.S. because I get a lot of
            > traffic on my other website from outside US and I figured they would
            > be more likely to have slow connections.

            People from outside the US are *more* likely to have fast connections.
            As of a year ago, out of the top 30 industrial nations, the US ranked
            15th in broadband penetration, speed, and price. (Source:
            http://www.itif.org/index.php?id=142)

            > I have StatCounter and I don't think there is any indication of what
            > speed people are connecting at.  That would be nice.

            Use Google Analytics. It won't tell you anything about your MP3
            downloads, but it'll give you a wealth of information about your Web
            site visitors and their browsing patterns.

            http://www.escapepod.org
          • Richard Amirault
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 27, 2009
              From: "matt1027"

              > After looking at a Download Time Calculator, I'm thinking about
              > making an optional low-bandwidth file available for people who are
              > still using dial-up modems.
              (snip)
              > Any thoughts on this?

              Something else to consider ... if all a "listener" want's to do is listen on
              his computer (not on a portable device) than your current bandwidth file
              could be just fine.

              You can configure Quicktime (as one example) to stream mp3 files. It will
              start playing as soon as the download starts, and since it's just voice (I
              assume) the slow download never gets "ahead" of the playback.

              Richard Amirault
              Boston, MA, USA
              http://n1jdu.org
              http://bostonfandom.org