Re: [podcasters] Re: Who are podcasters?

  • Dan Hughes
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 12, 2009
      Kris, one more fly in the ointment:

      How incestuous is podcasting?

      That is, how many podcasters do shows that are aimed at other podcasters,
      at least partially if not completely?

      Podcasting seems to be almost a closed community, in that podcasters
      listen heavily to other podcasts. They do promos for their podcasts in
      other podcasts, and many podcasts talk about podcasting in some form or
      other. Are there many podcasts that never mention podcasting?

      My two podcasts are not tailored for the podcast community at all, but to
      groups that don't even know what a podcast is. My listeners find me
      through message boards that discuss my topics (treasure hunting and
      softball). My guess is that the great majority of my listeners have
      never heard of Podcast Alley, or even know there are thousands of other
      podcasts out there.

      ---Dan
    • Matthew Wayne Selznick
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
        On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Dan Hughes<danhughes@...> wrote:
        > How incestuous is podcasting?
        >
        > That is, how many podcasters do shows that are aimed at other podcasters,
        > at least partially if not completely?

        Possibly the number one reason podcasting hasn't come as close to mass
        media as podcasters would like. In fact, the mass media (major
        television and radio networks) has done more to evangelize podcasts to
        non-podcasters than indie podcasters.

        But that's probably a topic for another thread...

        --
        Matthew Wayne Selznick
        Author and DIY New Media Creator
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
          And, I'm interested in examples of multi-show podcasters. When I was
          slamming away in the niche-blogging world, it was sort of a given that if
          you take a being a blogger, you were destined to start another blog within
          a year. That urge seems to be present in podcasting, if less intensely, but
          podcasters seem more likely to team up on group side projects.

          I mean, seriously. How many of you have more than one podcast? How many of
          you contribute regularly to another podcast? What's up with that?

          ~Mer
          braindouche.net
          sweetcourchexperience.com

          --
          Meredith Matthews
          mer@... | 484.524.2507 | twitter @braindouche

        • writerpatrick
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
            What I find interesting is the low number of new podcasters. Less than 5% have been at it for less than 6 months and less than 20% have been at it one year. I would expect those numbers to be the largest. Could it be that the new podcasters don't use things such as Yahoo Groups and other places that would allow them to find the survey?

            Or is it that people are choosing to become YouTube-casters instead? With YouTube you don't have to worry about promotion the same way as podcasts require. And everyone is talking about YouTube all the time. When have you heard a major broadcaster mention podcasts?

            I have noticed that the activity on many of the podcast forums like Podcast Pickle is down. There's a few new people who post one or two messages, promote their site, then disappear. They just don't seem to have the sense of community. Or maybe they just rely upon Facebook for that community. (I really don't bother with it much myself, although I probably should be working on it more.)
          • Todd Cochrane
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
              From my Stats

              What happens is that over 70% of new podcasters don not make it past
              show 7 and another 13% do not make it past show 25. Simply because they
              find out it is hard work and most have not done their homework on how to
              get their show launched and to get attention. Those shows that do make
              it past show 25 usually have staying power.

              Todd...

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                I am not sure why you would call podcasting a niche as almost every
                media producer in existence is having there media in one form or another
                delivered via rss aka podcast.

                Having been in the space in the very early days of the space Oct 2nd,
                2004 and was probably in the first 100 or so that created shows. You can
                look at my show if you want as an example. I just went over 500 shows
                last month and still have a audience that is growing daily. It is my
                primary source of income. But I also produce 4-5 other shows that do not
                have as high a time demand.

                Todd..

                Braindouche! wrote:

                > And, I'm interested in examples of multi-show podcasters. When I was
                > slamming away in the niche-blogging world, it was sort of a given that if
                > you take a being a blogger, you were destined to start another blog within
                > a year. That urge seems to be present in podcasting, if less
                > intensely, but
                > podcasters seem more likely to team up on group side projects.
                >
                > I mean, seriously. How many of you have more than one podcast? How many of
                > you contribute regularly to another podcast? What's up with that?
                >
                > ~Mer
                > braindouche.net
                > sweetcourchexperience.com
                >
                > On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:49 AM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...
                > <mailto:danhughes%40juno.com>> wrote:
                >

                > > Kris, one more fly in the ointment:
                > >
                > > How incestuous is podcasting?
                > >
                > > That is, how many podcasters do shows that are aimed at other
                > podcasters,
                > > at least partially if not completely?
                > >
                > > Podcasting seems to be almost a closed community, in that podcasters
                > > listen heavily to other podcasts. They do promos for their podcasts in
                > > other podcasts, and many podcasts talk about podcasting in some form or
                > > other. Are there many podcasts that never mention podcasting?
                > >
                > > My two podcasts are not tailored for the podcast community at all,
                > but to
                > > groups that don't even know what a podcast is. My listeners find me
                > > through message boards that discuss my topics (treasure hunting and
                > > softball). My guess is that the great majority of my listeners have
                > > never heard of Podcast Alley, or even know there are thousands of other
                > > podcasts out there.
                > >
                > > ---Dan

              • Todd Cochrane
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                  Matthew

                  I would agree hard core evangelism stopped about the time iTunes added
                  podcasting support to iTunes July 2005. Since that time I think
                  podcasters have thought that Apple would carry the day...

                  Also another thing that is hurting the space, is that most of my growth
                  came from promoting other shows actively. Most shows do not promote
                  other podcast and vice versa. I think this is why the podcasts over at
                  TechPodcasts.com have done so well is that we actively promote the heck
                  out of each other and promote the space outside of the podcast space.

                  Todd..

                  Matthew Wayne Selznick wrote:

                  > Possibly the number one reason podcasting hasn't come as close to mass
                  > media as podcasters would like. In fact, the mass media (major
                  > television and radio networks) has done more to evangelize podcasts to
                  > non-podcasters than indie podcasters.
                  >
                  > But that's probably a topic for another thread...
                  >
                  > -

                • Todd Cochrane
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                    If you are looking to reach a larger group of podcasters next time, feel
                    free to drop me an email we can include a link to any survey etc to our
                    community of podcasters.

                    Todd

                    > On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:47 AM, kris3198<kris3198@...
                    > <mailto:kris3198%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                    > > A summary of my research conducted last year on independent audio
                    > podcasters
                    > > is available here:
                    > >
                    > > https://umdrive.memphis.edu/kmmrkman/www/Markman_podcasters2009.html
                    > <https://umdrive.memphis.edu/kmmrkman/www/Markman_podcasters2009.html>
                    > > I plan to continue my research on podcasters, so I welcome any feedback.
                    > > What would you like to know about the podcasting community? How can the
                    > > academic world help podcasters?

                  • David Jackson
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                      Same here. I started with one show, and every time I find a passion I create a podcast. Some have podfaded with my passion, but Most I produce on a bi-weekly basis.

                      Dave Jackson
                      www.betterdave.com
                      www.customerserviceshow.com
                      www.powerofpodcasting.com << coming in September answering the "why should I" question.

                      Braindouche! wrote:

                      > And, I'm interested in examples of multi-show podcasters. When I was
                      > slamming away in the niche-blogging world, it was sort of a given that if
                      > you take a being a blogger, you were destined to start another blog within
                      > a year. That urge seems to be present in podcasting, if less
                      > intensely, but
                      > podcasters seem more likely to team up on group side projects.
                      >
                      > I mean, seriously. How many of you have more than one podcast? How many of
                      > you contribute regularly to another podcast? What's up with that?
                      >
                      > ~Mer
                      > braindouche.net
                      > sweetcourchexperience.com
                      >
                      > On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:49 AM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...
                      > <mailto:danhughes%40juno.com>> wrote:
                      >

                      > > Kris, one more fly in the ointment:
                      > >
                      > > How incestuous is podcasting?
                      > >
                      > > That is, how many podcasters do shows that are aimed at other
                      > podcasters,
                      > > at least partially if not completely?
                      > >
                      > > Podcasting seems to be almost a closed community, in that podcasters
                      > > listen heavily to other podcasts. They do promos for their podcasts in
                      > > other podcasts, and many podcasts talk about podcasting in some form or
                      > > other. Are there many podcasts that never mention podcasting?
                      > >
                      > > My two podcasts are not tailored for the podcast community at all,
                      > but to
                      > > groups that don't even know what a podcast is. My listeners find me
                      > > through message boards that discuss my topics (treasure hunting and
                      > > softball). My guess is that the great majority of my listeners have
                      > > never heard of Podcast Alley, or even know there are thousands of other
                      > > podcasts out there.
                      > >
                      > > ---Dan

                    • kris3198
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                        Hello Dan (and everyone),

                        (I tried to post this a moment ago, but I think my message got eaten).

                        Just to clarify, the Pew stats I posted are for DAILY activities, which Pew measures by asking "Did you do this activity yesterday?"

                        They also ask "Have you ever done this activity?" and those numbers are indeed higher. If you're interested, the chart is here, along with survey dates:
                        http://www.pewinternet.org/Trend-Data/Online-Activites-Total.aspx

                        The social networking numbers are from Dec. 08, so they don't capture the recent explosion in Facebook users. I suspect we'll see new numbers on that soon. Still, I would add that as a group podcasters seem to be very much in the early adopter group, like most social media advocates, and such are really dissimilar from the *average* adult internet user.

                        There have been a lot of other interesting comments on this thread. I'll be on the road for a few days, but I hope to be able to respond more next week.

                        -Kris
                        ---------- ---------- ----------
                        Kris M. Markman, Ph.D.
                        Assistant Professor, Dept. of Communication
                        University of Memphis
                        https://umdrive.memphis.edu/kmmrkman/www/index.html

                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

                        > Kris, you posted:
                        > --------------------
                        > Daily activities: All internet users/Podcasters from survey
                        > Use email: 57%/98.5%
                        > Use social networking site(s):19%/63.7%
                        > Twitter or other status update: 5%/59.3%
                        > --------------------
                        >
                        > How old are those Pew stats? I can't believe that 43% of internet users
                        > don't do email.
                        >
                        > And I think the use of social networking sites and Twitter has
                        > skyrocketed in the past few months. Virtually everyone I know (and I'm
                        > 61) is now into Facebook, for example.
                        >
                        > I'd try to get updated stats before you issue your report, if that's
                        > possible.
                        >
                        > ---Dan

                      • Braindouche!
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                          No sir, I'm not calling podcasting a niche, but I do think it's very similar
                          to The-Practice-Of-Niche-Blogging, particularly in terms of networking and
                          grass-roots-type marketing and audience building. They're about the same age
                          and take advantage of the same technology, so they grew up with similar
                          methods.

                          For the record, I also think that niche blogging is D-E-D dead. Podcasting
                          isn't, but it's certainly lost of lot of it's evangelistic tendencies as
                          well as shaken off a lot of what you might call "unreasonable expectations",
                          too.

                          ~Mer
                          braindouche.net
                          sweetcouchexperience.com

                          --
                          Meredith Matthews
                          mer@... | 484.524.2507 | twitter @braindouche
                          braindouche.net | podcast mayhem
                          hotgluemedia.com | design | web | audio | communication
                          sweettarragon.com | jewelry and accessories

                        • David Smith
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 15, 2009
                            I have three. So far.

                            Grizzly's Growls: "Some Dork with a Microphone," as Evo Terra terms it.

                            Stories from the Hiber-Nation: Storytelling. Well, more audiobook
                            production.

                            The IDSL: Minnesota Indie music.

                            I have occasionally contributed a bit to other podcasts, but not so much
                            lately.

                            It was 13 Aug 2009, when Braindouche! commented:

                            > And, I'm interested in examples of multi-show podcasters. When I was
                            > slamming away in the niche-blogging world, it was sort of a given that if
                            > you take a being a blogger, you were destined to start another blog within
                            > a year. That urge seems to be present in podcasting, if less intensely, but
                            > podcasters seem more likely to team up on group side projects.
                            >
                            > I mean, seriously. How many of you have more than one podcast? How many of
                            > you contribute regularly to another podcast? What's up with that?
                            >
                            > ~Mer
                            > braindouche.net
                            > sweetcourchexperience.com
                            >
                            > On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:49 AM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:
                            >

                            > > Kris, one more fly in the ointment:
                            > >
                            > > How incestuous is podcasting?
                            > >
                            > > That is, how many podcasters do shows that are aimed at other podcasters,
                            > > at least partially if not completely?
                            > >
                            > > Podcasting seems to be almost a closed community, in that podcasters
                            > > listen heavily to other podcasts. They do promos for their podcasts in
                            > > other podcasts, and many podcasts talk about podcasting in some form or
                            > > other. Are there many podcasts that never mention podcasting?
                            > >
                            > > My two podcasts are not tailored for the podcast community at all, but to
                            > > groups that don't even know what a podcast is. My listeners find me
                            > > through message boards that discuss my topics (treasure hunting and
                            > > softball). My guess is that the great majority of my listeners have never
                            > > heard of Podcast Alley, or even know there are thousands of other
                            > > podcasts out there.
                            > >
                            > > ---Dan
                            > >

                            > --
                            > Meredith Matthews
                            > mer@... | 484.524.2507 | twitter @braindouche
                            > braindouche.net | podcast mayhem
                            > hotgluemedia.com | design | web | audio | communication
                            > sweettarragon.com | jewelry and accessories

                            grizzly at grizzlysgrowls dot com
                            Grizzly's Podcasts & Stories: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
                            Live shows on BTR: <http://live.grizzlysgrowls.com>
                          • leesarbarnes
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 18, 2009
                              I wrote Podcasting for Profit and interviewed over 50 podcasters on the various ways they are making money with their podcast. You can buy the book (shameless plug) or you can drop me a line offlist and I'll forward you some names.

                              --

                              Thanks,

                              Leesa Barnes
                              http://marketingfit.com